Thread: Is Scan Colour Accurate?

Default Is Scan Colour Accurate?

Hi, I developed a few photos at nearby minilab, and do not have the jpegs anymore. Now I want to duplicate the printed photos, so I scanned them into my computer. However, my monitor is not calibrated thus the scanned photos, when viewed on my monitor, have a blue colour cast.

But now I want to develop the photos at the same minilab again, can I assume that the scanner's colour is 100% accurate and I do not have to edit the scanned photos despite having a blue cast which I think is due to my uncalibrated monitor?

Default Re: Is Scan Colour Accurate?

I think I shall simplify my question.

Is it right to assume that scanners are 100% accurate when it comes to colour reproduction?

Please help thanks.

If the people that take care of/run the mini lab regularly calibrate their equipment the results should be very close.

This being that you get them to scan your photo.

Time, is an effortless construction :)

Thanks, so you're saying that scanners are not near 100% accurate when it comes to colour reproduction?

Quote Originally Posted by megascriler View Post
    Thanks, so you're saying that scanners are not near 100% accurate when it comes to colour reproduction?
    Not if they are not calibrated to a standard, the same way printers and monitors are not.

This is why more serious photography people spend the money to buy calibration equipment.

Nothing is 100% colour accurate straight out of the box. Though may be close enough for some people.

To have a photo lab here scan a 6x4 and re-print it is very cheap and I guess it is similar there.

Why not take one to a photo lab there and see how it comes out

Our lab is calibrated (to the paper) every morning and during the day with every change of paper......

Yet, even though the scanner is calibrated, if I get a roll of film developed then do a print from the film strip and compair it to the developed print from that strip, I can see a difference (small as it may be).

Just my view
    Time, is an effortless construction :)