Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Newbie with D40X

Deregistered

Default Re: Newbie with D40X

pictorial screen ?? you mean view the photo taken from the lcd screen for a guideline?

Quote Originally Posted by untitled-ego View Post
    pictorial screen ?? you mean view the photo taken from the lcd screen for a guideline?
    Sorry wasn't quite clear in the earlier mail. What I meant was to set your LCD screen that will show you the aperture size as you tweak your aperture setting. You'll see if you set a large value, the aperture will become smaller and vice versa. Use it as a guide, but hope it's useful.
    from guitars, cars to dslr...

Deregistered

normally for street photography. which mode do you guys use? P?

A. I always like to dictate the aperture to use.

Deregistered

i see. maybe yo ucna give me soem hints on which settings and lights and iso to use for different scenrios?

i see. maybe yo ucna give me soem hints on which settings and lights and iso to use for different scenrios?
    It really depends on what your preference is, whether you think depth of field, or the lack of for selective focus is important? Fast shutter speed to freeze actions? Noise?

Noise will dictate your ISO. Shutter speed will dictate whether you are able to freeze an image or not. Aperture will affect your depth of field.

So you will need to make a judgement call which one you want to compromise to obtain the exposure to suit the lighting condition. Unless you are using artificial light such as flash, this is the only factor affecting your exposure which you have no control over.

So there is no hard and fast rule. It really depends on the lighting situation. Whenever possible, I would use the lowest ISO to get the cleanest image. Select my aperture, and meter for the shutter speed. If the speed is too low for handholding, then see if the option of using a tripod is feasible, otherwise if the subject is fast moving, then you will hit a shutter speed below which is not acceptable.

When the shutter speed becomes the limiting factor, see if the option of opening up the aperture is possible. Is there a depth of field concern? Or you're already at the maximum aperture of the lens? Or the lens is not sufficiently sharp at the maimum aperture? If the exposure is still not sufficient, only then do I bring up the ISO.

But of course once you know all these, you will know what ISO to use based on your judgement of the lighting situation and the maximum aperture of the lens you're using. It takes practice.
    Last edited by lsisaxon; 17th July 2007 at 09:57 AM.

Well, here are some suggesstions... from a newbie who has owned a DSLR for 1.5 months

1. Get a book on photography, read it and try out the different things the book talks about.

2. Go out and shoot as much as you can with different adjustments. Do not use the auto mode as you do not learn much from using it. This would be time consuming as you can take 10 or more shots for a particular pic, trying out different adjustments like compensation, white balance, hues and saturation, etc.

3. Look through the pictures in clubsnap and get ideas on framing and composition of pictures.

4. Find someone who is better than you are and go shoots with the person. Look at the pictures and ask questions on how yoru friend composed those pictures.

5. Understand the limitations of your camera and lens that you are using. There are some shots that can only be achieved with certain kinds of lens.

6. Review your photographs and the settings you use. You can download an EXIF reader which shows up all your settings. As you review, you would notice things that you did not while you were shooting, e.g. aiyah! why didn't i set the ISO higher/lower? why didn't i adjust the aperture bigger?

7. Practice... prctice... practice... until your one shot comes out exactly how you would want the picture to be.

I use P for general stuff. Nikon's P mode is flexible, you can turn the dial left and right to tweak the shutter-aperture settings. Sorry if I confused you. It's in your manual.

Deregistered

Quote Originally Posted by chanjyj View Post
    I use P for general stuff. Nikon's P mode is flexible, you can turn the dial left and right to tweak the shutter-aperture settings. Sorry if I confused you. It's in your manual.
    i know P mode, i have read thru.. just wonder wad mode most of you guys use for street tats all..

Hi, Im also a newbie just like u and also own a Nikon D40x (bought it about 3 weeks ago).....still learning how to use it. But i agree with wat geraldkhoo has mentioned- to read the manual and to shoot and learn as u go along.

i know P mode, i have read thru.. just wonder wad mode most of you guys use for street tats all..
    i used AP most of the time. but in dim lights and with high speed subjects, i used SP. i do not use manual but i used variable EV to compensate and adjust.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12