Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What cheap flash to get

Default What cheap flash to get

hi,

bought recently a 2nd hand canon 300d, just want to know what cheap flash i could get.

im just a newbie to dslr system.

thanks

Default Re: What cheap flash to get

Go for a 430EX if not 580EX2.
    The 430Ex has most of the functions that you will need

Quote Originally Posted by midicity View Post
    Go for a 430EX if not 580EX2.
    The 430Ex has most of the functions that you will need
    do you know how much these flashes?

thanks

430EX is $400+ while the 580EX II is around $700.
    Canon EOS 5D, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 50 f/1.2 L, 70-300 f/4-5.6 L IS, 600EX-RT. Sigma 12-24 f/4.5-5.6 EX.

Hw abt the Speedlite 220EX - S$280 ?

Quote Originally Posted by shaditintinjunior025 View Post
    Hw abt the Speedlite 220EX - S$280 ?
    Don't get that... the flash head can't move.
    Get a 430ex or Sigma DG 500 if on a budget. Learning how to bounce flash is an important part of flash photography and you'll need a flash that can swivel and tilt.

Quote Originally Posted by genegoh View Post
    Don't get that... the flash head can't move.
    Get a 430ex or Sigma DG 500 if on a budget. Learning how to bounce flash is an important part of flash photography and you'll need a flash that can swivel and tilt.
    do you know how much is this sigma dg 500? 430 ex is too expensive for me.

Quote Originally Posted by sherwinsm View Post
    do you know how much is this sigma dg 500? 430 ex is too expensive for me.
    It's around $300+.
    Canon EOS 5D, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 50 f/1.2 L, 70-300 f/4-5.6 L IS, 600EX-RT. Sigma 12-24 f/4.5-5.6 EX.

Think it's best to save up more. If you can't swivel the head to bounce the light, you're gonna have similar effect to using the onboard flash, maybe with more power.

There is a world of difference between the images taken with bounce flash and direct flash indoors

look for a 2nd hand 420EX in B&S
    Work: PicasaWeb | Play: Animus3 | Mobile: Tumblr

There are so many cheap automatic flashes-- Nissin, Vivitar, Sunpak, etc. $400-600 for a flash is bloody ridiculous!
    Last edited by waileong; 2nd July 2007 at 09:44 AM.

Photography is not a cheap hobby. You get cheap flash, you will end up a lot of limitation. Expensive one , you need to provide extra care maintenance.

See the canon ext. flash price, check out the canon forum price list at

http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthrea...=154099&page=7
    See my Photo Gallery at the Clubsnap

I beg to differ. Automatic flashes are great and camera independent, and the results are stunning. There's a reason why the Vivitar 283 is the best selling flash of all time. If you don't need the additional features of a dedicated flash (like master/slave wireless control), they are perfect.
    Last edited by waileong; 2nd July 2007 at 10:37 AM.

i think ill save first for a decent flash, meanwhile maybe i can get cehap flashes first like vivitar, do you guys know if this is compatible with 300d?

Quote Originally Posted by megaweb View Post
    Photography is not a cheap hobby. You get cheap flash, you will end up a lot of limitation. Expensive one , you need to provide extra care maintenance.

http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthrea...=154099&page=7
    I would like to say that it's more appropriate to say "photography can be an expensive hobby". It's possible to spend $10k just like that on a few L lenses. But it's also possible to get by on very little. Film cameras and manual lenses are so cheap these days it defies belief! Yet film has every bit as good resolution and dynamic range compared to digital, development and printing are cheap, and the results can be archival quality (esp B&W).

$ for $, film point and shoots like the Mju are so good they blow away pictures from even the entry-level DSLR's!

A flash is nothing more than a bulb with a capacitor for storing a charge. All you really need for a flash to do is to put out the correct amount of light upon command. It's not rocket science, which is why third-party automatic and TTL flashes are considerably cheaper than proprietary system flashes. If you look carefully, the Canon and Nikon speedlites are so similar people have long suspected they are OEM-ed by the same third-party. Such system flashes enjoy great margins and are huge cash cows for Canon/Nikon. While they do offer some propietary features, most photographers never use them, hence it's not a great loss.

Quote Originally Posted by waileong View Post
    I would like to say that it's more appropriate to say "photography can be an expensive hobby". It's possible to spend $10k just like that on a few L lenses. But it's also possible to get by on very little. Film cameras and manual lenses are so cheap these days it defies belief! Yet film has every bit as good resolution and dynamic range compared to digital, development and printing are cheap, and the results can be archival quality (esp B&W).

$ for $, film point and shoots like the Mju are so good they blow away pictures from even the entry-level DSLR's!

A flash is nothing more than a bulb with a capacitor for storing a charge. All you really need for a flash to do is to put out the correct amount of light upon command. It's not rocket science, which is why third-party automatic and TTL flashes are considerably cheaper than proprietary system flashes. If you look carefully, the Canon and Nikon speedlites are so similar people have long suspected they are OEM-ed by the same third-party. Such system flashes enjoy great margins and are huge cash cows for Canon/Nikon. While they do offer some propietary features, most photographers never use them, hence it's not a great loss.
    which camera do you own now?

i just got a 580EX II because i just cant stand the inconsistancy in bouncing from my older 550EX.

if you're a master in flash, yes, you could go along with cheap manual flashes. but if you're not (or you're too busy looking and snapping), a good flash last a long way i believe... =)

Manual flashes are too complicated. Automatic and TTL flashes are far easier to use.

Blog Entries

buy a set of china brand studio lights and a light meter

I believe Canon flashes will last a long time to come. Some of my friend's have Sigma's 500DG and it gave up on them after a short while.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast