Results 1 to 20 of 20

Thread: which brand and camera to get?

  1. #1

    Default which brand and camera to get?

    rather new to the forum, looking to buy a new camera, hope u guys can give some advice (:

    am looking for something with good zoom, image stabilisation, manual settings, and because im impatient, less lag between shots. wide angle would be an added bonus.

    have been looking at the olympus sp550uz, the panasonic lumix fz8 or the new canon powershot s5is.
    however, wondering which gives better pictures, i have a canon ixus, and i like the colours that canon gives though some people may find it too vivid, but does anyone have any opinions on which is better, faster and has less noise?

    im also looking at the powershota710is simply because its smaller and much more convenient to bring around, cos im also looking to using this as an everyday camera... but im quite worried about the time in between shots, esp with flash... and wondering if its worth it to give up the difference in features for the smaller size.

    any advice? thanks!

  2. #2

    Default Re: which brand and camera to get?

    Cybershot W200. superb yet small. only prob is cannot use CF cards or SD cards.

  3. #3

    Default Re: which brand and camera to get?


  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    178

    Default Re: which brand and camera to get?

    whats your budget?
    Sony DSC-H2....its not the power of the camera, its the vision of the photographer....

  5. #5

    Default Re: which brand and camera to get?

    well cheaper's better :P but anything less than $750 is okay..

  6. #6
    Member saymell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Jalan Kayu
    Posts
    176

    Default Re: which brand and camera to get?

    Actually, it depends totally on you. What you need - Compact or dSLR, and next is cost, how much you budgeted? Maybe you'd like to take a look here for some reviews:

    http://asia.cnet.com/reviews/digitalcameras/

    Some basics of buying:

    http://asia.cnet.com/buyingguides/digicams/
    Last edited by saymell; 30th June 2007 at 10:09 PM.

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    BUKIT PANJANG
    Posts
    1,997

    Default Re: which brand and camera to get?

    u looking for pns or prosumer camera?
    D800 | D700|16mm f2.8D|35 f1.4G|50 f1.8G|60mm F2.8D|85mm f1.4G|16-35 f4G|70-200 f2.8 VR2| SB900

  8. #8

    Default Re: which brand and camera to get?

    hm. thanks for the replies.. im not looking at a dslr... not experienced enough to need investing in something like that.. prosumer or pns are okay if the pns have most manual functions and all. i can't really draw the line between the two actually =X

    does each brand have a special characteristic? like the sensor and lens they use.. whats the difference and which is 'better' in what ways?

  9. #9

    Default Re: which brand and camera to get?

    how about fuji?

    f31d or s6500fd?
    the s6500fd fulfilled most of TS criteria, except optical stabilisation...

    just my suggestion... give fuji a thought.. they have great sensors

  10. #10

    Default Re: which brand and camera to get?

    yeah give a check on fuji f31fd. this camera not only offer u A/S control and also give you great photo in low light condition. One of the best buy now i will say.

  11. #11

    Default Re: which brand and camera to get?

    hm thanks for all the replies guys (:
    however, more specifically, i think i'd want something with about a 5 or 6x zoom at least, good macro functions as well, and a strong flash definitely with fast time betwen flash shots... and with wide angle as well preferably.

    the panasonic lumix tz3 looks good, but im not too sure about panasonic and its lenses and colours... any thoughts?

    what abt the sony t100 or the ricoh caplio r6?
    Last edited by ackack; 2nd July 2007 at 07:52 PM.

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    BUKIT PANJANG
    Posts
    1,997

    Default Re: which brand and camera to get?

    Quote Originally Posted by ackack View Post
    hm thanks for all the replies guys (:
    however, more specifically, i think i'd want something with about a 5 or 6x zoom at least, good macro functions as well, and a strong flash definitely with fast time betwen flash shots... and with wide angle as well preferably.

    the panasonic lumix tz3 looks good, but im not too sure about panasonic and its lenses and colours... any thoughts?

    what abt the sony t100 or the ricoh caplio r6?
    panasonic should be quite ok
    D800 | D700|16mm f2.8D|35 f1.4G|50 f1.8G|60mm F2.8D|85mm f1.4G|16-35 f4G|70-200 f2.8 VR2| SB900

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Pasir Ris, Singapore
    Posts
    14,002

    Default Re: which brand and camera to get?

    Quote Originally Posted by ackack View Post
    rather new to the forum, looking to buy a new camera, hope u guys can give some advice (:

    am looking for something with good zoom, image stabilisation, manual settings, and because im impatient, less lag between shots. wide angle would be an added bonus.

    have been looking at the olympus sp550uz, the panasonic lumix fz8 or the new canon powershot s5is.
    however, wondering which gives better pictures, i have a canon ixus, and i like the colours that canon gives though some people may find it too vivid, but does anyone have any opinions on which is better, faster and has less noise?

    im also looking at the powershota710is simply because its smaller and much more convenient to bring around, cos im also looking to using this as an everyday camera... but im quite worried about the time in between shots, esp with flash... and wondering if its worth it to give up the difference in features for the smaller size.

    any advice? thanks!
    I recommend the S5 IS and colours are natural. Vivid colours are Nikon and Sony cams.
    Canon EOS 5D, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 50 f/1.2 L, 70-300 f/4-5.6 L IS, 600EX-RT. Sigma 12-24 f/4.5-5.6 EX.

  14. #14

    Default Re: which brand and camera to get?

    Best time to get the Fuji f31fd as the price is falling, anticipating for a new model in Sept maybe?!?! Heard from shopkeeper that this model can be considered out of production,

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    A village in a forest
    Posts
    1,515

    Default Re: which brand and camera to get?

    My vote will go for the Canon S5IS
    Canon 80D|Panasonic LX3/LX5
    35f2 IS|50f1.8|85f1.8|12-24f4|18-135f4-5.6 IS|28-75f2.8

  16. #16

    Default Re: which brand and camera to get?

    to me, its either s5 or s6500fd.
    --

  17. #17

    Default Re: which brand and camera to get?

    ah. im the most indecisive person around.
    anyway, i went down to funan yesterday and took a look at the s5, its really quite heavy and not practical for me since i want it to double up as everyday use.

    the specs of the powershot a710is are very appealing, but i tried the camera too and the flash recharge time really bugs me... anyone can recommend a similar but faster camera, and one with a better and stronger flash that can cover longer distances?

    the fuji one that u guys recommended looks good, but i need a better zoom, currently have an ixus with 3x zoom and it can sometimes get quite frustrating, which is also why i want to upgrade. also want to get better macro functions cos my current camera range for macro is from 5cm which can be rather frustrating too.

    ah aren't i demanding :P

  18. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    1,984

    Default Re: which brand and camera to get?

    Quote Originally Posted by ackack View Post
    ah aren't i demanding :P
    Yes I think so

    It does seem like only prosumers (or dslrs) can come close to meeting all your requirements, but if the weight is too much for you..... (don't kill me for this suggestion....) use digital zoom on f31d to fulfil your zooming needs?!

  19. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    A village in a forest
    Posts
    1,515

    Default Re: which brand and camera to get?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gengh View Post
    Yes I think so

    It does seem like only prosumers (or dslrs) can come close to meeting all your requirements, but if the weight is too much for you..... (don't kill me for this suggestion....) use digital zoom on f31d to fulfil your zooming needs?!
    Don't need to use digital zoom, can always use manual zoom----your legs!!!
    Canon 80D|Panasonic LX3/LX5
    35f2 IS|50f1.8|85f1.8|12-24f4|18-135f4-5.6 IS|28-75f2.8

  20. #20

    Default Re: which brand and camera to get?

    thanks for the replies (:
    will consider the f31d!

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •