Thread: Advice needed

Default Advice needed

Recently my whole Nikon systems stolen due to house broke into by thieves 2 weeks ago.
    thinking to buy a new camera systems, previously was using Nikon D80.

after 2 weeks of survey and with the budget of 4k, i found out i'm lost and dont know which one to choose, therefore need some advice and inputs.

here is list down my preference set up.

Nikon D200
    Tokina 12-24
    AF-S 18-200mm
    SB800

Canon 30D
    Tokina 12-24
    Tamron 17-50 2.8
    EF 70-300 IS USM
    580EX

both package at a similar cost. therefore dun know which one to go.
    thanks in advance for the inputs

Default Re: Advice needed

Both systems are closely matched and you won't go far wrong with either one. I advice you to perhaps think long term. In 2-3 years time, will you be expanding your "arsenal"? Do you intend to get more lenses?

I hope not to create a C&N war but it seems there is an unspoken fact that Canon is now leading in the DSLR market. Back when 35mm films rule photography, it was a very tough fight. Now it's different. Canon has produced many more great lenses for the EOS system than 10 years ago, superb bodies and image sensors. Even some Nikon owners I met agree that there's something big going on with Canon.

I think Nikon is trailing hard behind Canon. But not to say Nikon is not good.

Quote Originally Posted by rainyday View Post
    Recently my whole Nikon systems stolen due to house broke into by thieves 2 weeks ago.
    thinking to buy a new camera systems, previously was using Nikon D80.

after 2 weeks of survey and with the budget of 4k, i found out i'm lost and dont know which one to choose, therefore need some advice and inputs.

here is list down my preference set up.

Nikon D200
    Tokina 12-24
    AF-S 18-200mm
    SB800

Canon 30D
    Tokina 12-24
    Tamron 17-50 2.8
    EF 70-300 IS USM
    580EX

both package at a similar cost. therefore dun know which one to go.
    thanks in advance for the inputs
    Which are you more comfortable with? Go try out both cameras and you'll find one that you'd prefer more.
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

thanks kiwi2 & zac08.

my heart is 55% to canon and 45% to nikon at the moment, the reason main because i never own a canon system, previously was using F70d and D80.

i do hope that any brother here can share some info regrading canon lighting system.
    or should i just fork out a bit then go for 5D with 24-105 IS, but it is lack of built in flash

hmm... actually if your previous system works for u, y not just back back the same ones that u sed to own b4 they were stolen?
    this can save u all the headache and continue shooting.
    web | blog | fb | ig

Your lenses chosen for the 30D seems better
    Tamron 17-50 f2.8 good for portraits and low light and walkabout lens
    Canon 70-300 IS is quite a decent telephoto for Canon.

if you're more familiar and can't find fault with the system, why change?
    Unless you find somethings that the Nikon can't like maybe(more noise at higher iso, that sort of stuffs) then you can try canon.
    5D is a good option, but with the $$ spent on the body u have not much left for a good lens which is a pity since at 24mm you won't be able to enjoy the power of wide-angle @ full frame

I'm in the nikon camp. I kind of regret of not joining canon....my first impression was that nikon builts better glass than canon (WRONG!), more experience in building cameras so it has to be better (WRONG!!)..list goes on.

Canon's strenght is its ISO...which i find it very useful when you are shooting macro (since you need to stop down your aperture and therefore compensate by increasing ISO), fast action movements (compensate with higher ISO), dark places..etc. You can see white lenses very popular among photojournalists..iso has probably got to do with it.

Nikon's strenght from what i heard is that its colours is less muted and greater dynamic range( this is true with Fuji S5); canon's colours is more of cooling colour, nikon is more of warmer. Nikon's cameras is better designed in terms of ergonomics.

The trend on CS from the selling/buying section is that there are several nikon users who are dumping their digital gears (retaining the nikon film cameras) and jumping into canon camp...primarily it has to do with ISO and the lack of full frame sensor.

Quote Originally Posted by blowblue View Post
    I'm in the nikon camp. I kind of regret of not joining canon....my first impression was that nikon builts better glass than canon (WRONG!), more experience in building cameras so it has to be better (WRONG!!)..list goes on.

Canon's strenght is its ISO...which i find it very useful when you are shooting macro (since you need to stop down your aperture and therefore compensate by increasing ISO), fast action movements (compensate with higher ISO), dark places..etc. You can see white lenses very popular among photojournalists..iso has probably got to do with it.

Nikon's strenght from what i heard is that its colours is less muted and greater dynamic range( this is true with Fuji S5); canon's colours is more of cooling colour, nikon is more of warmer. Nikon's cameras is better designed in terms of ergonomics.

The trend on CS from the selling/buying section is that there are several nikon users who are dumping their digital gears (retaining the nikon film cameras) and jumping into canon camp...primarily it has to do with ISO and the lack of full frame sensor.
    The grass is always greener on the other side...

Im happy with my Nikon after 1yr+

Quote Originally Posted by ExplorerZ View Post
    The grass is always greener on the other side...

Im happy with my Nikon after 1yr+
    And i'm happy with my Nikon after 20 yr+

Quote Originally Posted by milamber View Post
    And i'm happy with my Nikon after 20 yr+
    i'm happy with minolta just after 1 minute, no need 20 years so long

anyway, me know not much about other systems, so i give another combination just for fun.

Alpha 100
    F56HM (flash)
    Carl Zeiss 16-80
    Carl Zeiss 135 or Beercan 70-200

but if you put a knife at my throat and ask me to choose nikon or canon, i say canon.
    Last edited by satay16; 30th June 2007 at 09:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by blowblue View Post

as you have said, nikon made better ergonomics. some people may value that more than say full frame sensor. i do however hope that nikon can add in dust removing standards which i dun understand why they dun.

I just stumbled onto these two posts.....

It's a rough compairson between S5 Fuji and Canon 5D in terms of tolerating noise at ISO3200. Looks like 5D wins by a edge...although Fuji S5 doesn't lag that behind.

http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=291982

http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthrea...30#post3190730