Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Taxi on the road

Deregistered

Default Re: Taxi on the road

It's the mindset and attitudes of the road drivers that count.

Taxi driver as a job is the least respected by most Singaporeans. Have you hear the drivers' accounts of the various types of passengers and other road drivers they encounter every day? Go be a relief driver when you are 30 yrs old, drive 8-12 hours non-stop and then share your stories here..we'll be listening with open ears.

I agree that a lot of the taxis drive with a disregard to the rules of the road and safety concerns. Too often they pull over to the left-hand side to pick someone up without checking (I have seen two motorcyclists knocked down due to this) and then pull off again without checking on-coming traffic.

With so many hours spent on the road, you would think that they would be good defensive drivers but most only look forwards and pay little attention to anything to the sides or behind them. This has nothing to do with respect or working conditions, it's just good common road sense.

Noboby point a gun at their head to be taxi driver!
    Quote Originally Posted by atomicdust View Post
    It's the mindset and attitudes of the road drivers that count.

Taxi driver as a job is the least respected by most Singaporeans. Have you hear the drivers' accounts of the various types of passengers and other road drivers they encounter every day? Go be a relief driver when you are 30 yrs old, drive 8-12 hours non-stop and then share your stories here..we'll be listening with open ears.

Quote Originally Posted by Sniper ShutterBug View Post
    you know.... i would really really like to open a huge can of worms just by your brainless statement. My father is a taxi driver and i am proud of it that he makes a decent living supporting his family with all that he has left in him.

Go be a taxi driver for a week and see how u like it. having need to put up with a**h*les, who mock at them and blame them for every damn thing that happens on the road. So you think alot of them CHOOSE to be taxi drivers? Throw your qualifications away and see if you can survive in the new world with no one wanting to employ you because you are 40 years old and you dun have much education. Tell your wife and kids "SORRY I CANT GIVE YOU ANY FOOD COS I'M F**K*ING UNEDUCATED AND ALL I CAN DO IS DRIVE A LOUSY CAB!"

I do not disagree alot of cab drivers are reckless but it doesn't commision you to generalise all of them and to make remarks like that. And the same goes to alot of of others reading this. If you don't know what they have to go through just to put rice on the table, don't run your mouth off thinking that you do.

If anyone is not happy with my post. take it to me in private. i'll be more then happy to settle it with you there.

I agree totally with the statement that "Nobody pointed a gun at their head to become taxi drivers".

Every taxi driver should have a dream in which their child is killed by a reckless taxi driver.

Hardship or not, entertaining the notion of putting the lives of other at risk, no matter how slight, just to put food on the table - is plain ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by nuxnewbie View Post
    I agree totally with the statement that "Nobody pointed a gun at their head to become taxi drivers".

Every taxi driver should have a dream in which their child is killed by a reckless taxi driver.

Hardship or not, entertaining the notion of putting the lives of other at risk, no matter how slight, just to put food on the table - is plain ridiculous.
    Be sure you never ever step into a cab again if not i believe that you just made a remark of nothing but hypocrisy. Dun worry. If i die i'll be sure to be visting you everyday.

I dun see how you can not be putting the lives of your own loved ones and maybe even children if you're already having thoughts like that about other people.... tsk tsk tsk.
    a pity that the son of a taxi driver has to teach you to think for the world.

OT abit: Hey u wanna go for the shoot? Confirm leh, or at least give me a reply.

*Back to our regular scheduled programme*

Actually, I had something in mind. On the assumption that IF, I.F I am the sole winner of the 6mil Toto this Friday, I might simply be a part-time cab driver to experience first hand how bad is it on the road.

There is no compromise or excuse when it comes to safety.
    i didnt says big car can compromised safety lah.
    taxis need bigger CC to carry heavy passenger lah.
    Taoism 你知[道]吗?http://yeobt.multiply.com
    Read With An Open Mind And Surely You Will Be Benefited.

this remarks is beri insensitive.
    there are lawyers, doctors and even priests who run into the law too.
    i'm sure you always remind your kid to study harder so that they can be one of those above too. right?

all taxi drivers should be respected.

www.taxiuncle.com

Taxi uses diesel engine which is more torquey while passenger cars uses petrol engine.

The power ratio output for a diesel engine and petrol engine is entirely different. While it is norm for a car to have a 1.6L petrol engine, it is not possible to have a 1.6L diesel engine as the vehicle will be underpowered, thus causing more emission problems.

With the Euro 4 implementation, the capacity for diesel engine is also increasing for cleaner emission. Most are also equipped with a turbo charger to boost the efficiency of the vehicle.

Therefore, your comparison is unfair, for the fact one is a diesel engine while the other is a petrol engine.

Petrol engine has more torque. Diesel engine has higher compression ratio and are thus more efficent as compared to petrol engines. This is because fuel and air ratio can be varied in petrol engine while the air intake for diesel engine is fixed. With Euro 4 implementation the newer commercial vehicles have their engine capacity reduced from 1.9L to 1.6L but engine performance is not compromise because they are fitted with Turbo. Even without Turbo the vehicle can still move by redesigning the gear box with bigger gear ratio to pull heavy load. There is still no compromise when it comes to safety.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lmodel View Post
    Taxi uses diesel engine which is more torquey while passenger cars uses petrol engine.

The power ratio output for a diesel engine and petrol engine is entirely different. While it is norm for a car to have a 1.6L petrol engine, it is not possible to have a 1.6L diesel engine as the vehicle will be underpowered, thus causing more emission problems.

With the Euro 4 implementation, the capacity for diesel engine is also increasing for cleaner emission. Most are also equipped with a turbo charger to boost the efficiency of the vehicle.

Therefore, your comparison is unfair, for the fact one is a diesel engine while the other is a petrol engine.

Redesign their gearbox which can still pull heavy load even for a small engine capacity of 1.6L
    Quote Originally Posted by yeobt View Post
    i didnt says big car can compromised safety lah.
    taxis need bigger CC to carry heavy passenger lah.

There is still no compromise when it comes to safety.
    Even more contradicting as the above statement says irregardless of big or small cc, safety counts.

Then why are you talking about engine capacity on one hand and comparing safety on the other on your first post

Redesign their gearbox which can still pull heavy load even for a small engine capacity of 1.6L
    have you heard of a lorry with 1.6L engine and equipped with 8 gears?
    gearbox dont helps carry heavy load lah, is the engine lah.

Now not talking about Lorry, talking about passenger vehicles. Gear box assist to overcome load when the power of the engine is not sufficient. Can a 2.0 l vehicle start off with 5th gear?
    Quote Originally Posted by yeobt View Post
    have you heard of a lorry with 1.6L engine and equipped with 8 gears?
    gearbox dont helps carry heavy load lah, is the engine lah.
    Last edited by Sniper ShutterBug; 4th July 2007 at 12:51 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12