Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Save 23 Amber Road

Default Save 23 Amber Road

23 Amber Road is a 90+ year old villa about to be demolished, but developer said at least the front portion would be retained:

http://www.straitstimes.com/STI/STIM...AGES_TOWER.jpg

letter in the ST

Give feedback on Butterfly House

22 Jun 07

THE report on the proposal to save a portion of the Butterfly House at 23 Amber Road (''Hybrid' condo to replace Katong bungalow'; ST, June 19) gives the impression that the plans have been finalised, but this is not the case. In fact, the Official Notice advertising the proposal invites the public to make representations. Comments should be sent to the Permanent Secretary, Ministry of National Development, Maxwell Road, Singapore 069110, or by e-mail to tan_tee_how@mnd.gov.sg by July 7.

Dr Khoo Chong Yee
    Winchester, United Kingdom
    Do give feedback about this.
    Last edited by redstone; 29th June 2007 at 04:14 PM.

Default Re: Save 23 Amber Road

Is it under conservation?

Quote Originally Posted by melvin View Post
    Nope, but a temporary design is to have only the front porch and stair hall of the building preserved, which defeats the purpose of heritage conservation, which priorty should be given to protecting heritage. Instead now, priority is given to redevelopment.

Unfortunately, no.

I think the plans look really ugly. They did not integrate the design of the house with the proposed building. So it looks very mismatched.

Quote Originally Posted by redstone View Post
    23 Amber Road is a 90+ year old villa about to be demolished, but developer said at least the front portion would be retained:

http://www.straitstimes.com/STI/STIM...AGES_TOWER.jpg

Do give feedback about this.
    who designed this?

Blog Entries

looks horrible

Yeah agree with nottipiglet it is very mismatch lor.... looks very weird! dun think they front porch and stair hall of the building preserved think they should demolished the whole fascade or the back portion extend sideways not upwards

It looks really out of place. I saw the pics in the newspaper and read an editorial about it. Horrible combination.
    5D MII w/16-35L,Sigma 28-70&Nikkors(35f2,85f1.4,105f2.5,180f2.8ED)

Quote Originally Posted by ortega View Post
    looks horrible
    yes, the style is terrible. too many bad copies of the same thing all over singapore.

Yeah agree with nottipiglet it is very mismatch lor.... looks very weird! dun think they front porch and stair hall of the building preserved think they should demolished the whole fascade or the back portion extend sideways not upwards
    The character of the house lies at the back, with the unique crecent wings. Not only is it a mismatch, but is like forcing the old building to be with the new. Makes the old portion look like a cheap decoration. The building should not just be preserved, but also respected.

The character of the house lies at the back, with the unique crecent wings. Not only is it a mismatch, but is like forcing the old building to be with the new. Makes the old portion look like a cheap decoration. The building should not just be preserved, but also respected.
    do you happen to have links to pictures of the house itself? would be great to have a look.

Quote Originally Posted by eikin View Post
    do you happen to have links to pictures of the house itself? would be great to have a look.

Photos from news articles

Blog Entries

what an interesting house

i think it should not be demolished

Err... i dun see the unique in the cresent wings! Really it spoils the heritage n the culture like half history n half space age neither here nor there! If i were to stay there 1min in history another in space age the next moment will duno where i am!

Quote Originally Posted by ortega View Post
    what an interesting house

i think it should not be demolished
    i rather it remain as it is!

Photos from news articles
    very tight site. first impression, taking into considerations all the setback requirements, the condo has to really go up on top of the crescent block. the foundation piles can't go in at the edges as well, so even if the new building goes up above the current one, the pillars will still drive through the old building. don't have the exact distance requirements but that's what i think is happening based on the photographs.

seems like to save the building either the development area needs to be enlarged to surrounding plot (developer buys over surrounding plots) or the entire development be given up altogether. i prefer the latter.

the design of the proposed layout looks buck ugly... i hope the designers have something more integrating in their minds..

Quote Originally Posted by eikin View Post
    very tight site. first impression, taking into considerations all the setback requirements, the condo has to really go up on top of the crescent block. the foundation piles can't go in at the edges as well, so even if the new building goes up above the current one, the pillars will still drive through the old building. don't have the exact distance requirements but that's what i think is happening based on the photographs.

seems like to save the building either the development area needs to be enlarged to surrounding plot (developer buys over surrounding plots) or the entire development be given up altogether. i prefer the latter.
    I'm thinking of saving it like Tan Chin Tuan Mansion, building above the villa. No space to build foundations? The house can be dismantled and reassembled back below the condo. Worst case scenerio.

I would prefer the villa to be protected entirely as well. Could serve other purposes.

I'm thinking of saving it like Tan Chin Tuan Mansion, building above the villa. No space to build foundations? The house can be dismantled and reassembled back below the condo. Worst case scenerio.
    i don't agree with the method, it defeats the idea of conservation.

I would prefer the villa to be protected entirely as well. Could serve other purposes.
    i think the drive of the campaign should be focussing on convincing the authorities to re-purchase the plot of land and turn it into a conservation site, instead of asking the developer to be more sensitive (cause the developer won't be able to, even if the developer changes the architect 20 times the solution will be more or less the same judging from the condo's floor area requirements based on the proposed design)

it's uphill battle, because i think the authorities will not only need to buy back the land, but also compensate developmental losses, need people versed in land laws to give figures to know if it's feasible.

Developer is going to spend alot on DC n coming out with something so ............. abit waste money i rather spend more money aquiring plot next door to have a bigger land do a nice nice boutique development no need to go high rise, will blend in better with surrounding.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast