Thread: Adobe Lightroom / Adobe Camera RAW ACR Profiles

Default Adobe Lightroom / Adobe Camera RAW ACR Profiles

Hello everyone.

Dont know if you guys realized this, but somehow RAW pictures that goes thru ACR gives a really bad tone of colors.

most of the time, its greenish, and red tones are usually washed out. I'm on a Canon system, and Canon's DPP works well, so does the Capture One Pro.

Looking at various overseas forums, users had been complaining about this, because ACR actually has to translate colors from RAW files, and this translation process usually renders horrible colors.

So my question is, anyone here with a 20D/30D/5D could help by contributing what RGB Hues / Saturation values you input in the ACR Camera Profile tab?

thanks!

Default Re: Adobe Lightroom / Adobe Camera RAW ACR Profiles

I actually found ACR with CS3 performing exceptionally well. I guess if you are out to look for bad news everywhere, you will find them.

Personally, I found DPP sucks.

Now, that said, garbage in garbage out. I am using the latest default profile, the one that came with CS3. didn't even have time and later borther to go teeking it, because, the color looks absolutely fine to me.

Every raw conversion programs has to translate color, not jsut ACR.

Can you post a picture and the settings so that we can take a look. Really hard to help as is.
    deadpoet
    my portfolio

raw converters by the big boys (nikon and canon) apply by default a higher contrast and saturation to the RAW file than for example ACR and LR (both use same engine) do. The reason for this is: the layman wants pictures (jpeg) with punch i.e. high constrast - high saturation, hence the in-camera jpeg conversion is setup for this. in order to avoid visual compatibility problems between RAW and jpeg they make their RAW conversion similar to what the camera anyway does.
    Adobe (and the people from Pixmantec and now Adobe) have chosen a slightly different way. provide RAW converters that show the raw file more like its "original" state, ie. less contrast and less saturation. The philosophy behind that as a photog who uses RAW you probably want to control colour and contrast yourself.

having said all the above, ACR and LR are just as capable to provide excellent photo with a lot of punch and if you set it up right, then they will even excel over DPP, Capture and the like.

Quote Originally Posted by Deadpoet View Post
    I actually found ACR with CS3 performing exceptionally well. I guess if you are out to look for bad news everywhere, you will find them.
    no i dont dig news. i personally saw this problem myself, and it was so bad that all my pictures looked wrong.

Can you post a picture and the settings so that we can take a look. Really hard to help as is.
    yea i will, but later since i'm in office.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    raw converters by the big boys (nikon and canon) apply by default a higher contrast and saturation to the RAW file than for example ACR and LR (both use same engine) do. The reason for this is: the layman wants pictures (jpeg) with punch i.e. high constrast - high saturation, hence the in-camera jpeg conversion is setup for this. in order to avoid visual compatibility problems between RAW and jpeg they make their RAW conversion similar to what the camera anyway does.
    Adobe (and the people from Pixmantec and now Adobe) have chosen a slightly different way. provide RAW converters that show the raw file more like its "original" state, ie. less contrast and less saturation. The philosophy behind that as a photog who uses RAW you probably want to control colour and contrast yourself.

having said all the above, ACR and LR are just as capable to provide excellent photo with a lot of punch and if you set it up right, then they will even excel over DPP, Capture and the like.
    true that DPP could render better colors, because they actually could read other metadata embedded in the RAW file, and then render picture similarly to how the camera processed JPEGs.

but because ACR would do some sort of processing (as seen with the yellow bang before the full image appears), that processing is something i hate since it gives me colors that looked all wrong. especially when that image is slightly underexposed (green color casts comes out).

and also, i want to set up my ACR right, since i find lightroom very capable of handling good workflow. but i want to know how? =)

if you can provide the following info ...
    Are you shooting sRGB or aRGB?
    what WB mode are you using at the time you took the pictures?
    Which version firmware were you using on your camera?
    Which Canon(s) were you using?
    Were you using a custom default setting for the raw conversion? If so, what is it?
    Is your monitor calibrated?
    Do you have your color profile(s) in order?

Anyway, I am sure the collective braintrust here will fix your problem.
    deadpoet
    my portfolio

Quote Originally Posted by Stratix View Post
    true that DPP could render better colors, because they actually could read other metadata embedded in the RAW file, and then render picture similarly to how the camera processed JPEGs.

but because ACR would do some sort of processing (as seen with the yellow bang before the full image appears), that processing is something i hate since it gives me colors that looked all wrong. especially when that image is slightly underexposed (green color casts comes out).

and also, i want to set up my ACR right, since i find lightroom very capable of handling good workflow. but i want to know how? =)
    The problem with third party RAW converters is that Canon/Nikon are not sharing how the RAW reading is supposed to be converted into colour. How does ACR do it then? Well, Thomas Knoll would get a few bodies and take pictures of calibrated targets under controlled lighting conditions (ie. flash, tungsten, fluorescent etc.), analysise the camera data and interpret it in a way that you get the same colours.
    ACR will consider metadata stored in the file (it knows about the WB for example) and to the processing accordingly. DPP or Capture however go one step further, they apply further contrast (s-curve) and saturation to the pic, something you need to do manually in ACR with the sliders to your own taste.
    so the question is: what is the original file?

if you can provide the following info ...
    Are you shooting sRGB or aRGB?
    what WB mode are you using at the time you took the pictures?
    Which version firmware were you using on your camera?
    Which Canon(s) were you using?
    Were you using a custom default setting for the raw conversion? If so, what is it?
    Is your monitor calibrated?
    Do you have your color profile(s) in order?

Anyway, I am sure the collective braintrust here will fix your problem.
    1. sRGB
    2. AWB
    3. 1.0.0.5
    4. EOS 30D, 300D
    5. I didnt set anything regarding RAW conversion on any software before.
    6. No, not calibrated, but difference of output can be distinctively detected.
    7. Yes, all in sRGB (or aRGB if print)

thanks!

forgot one more question, which version of ACR are you using? CS2 or 3? Latest updated installed?

If you are using firmware 1.0.0.5, isn't that a bit dated? I will update the firmware.
    deadpoet
    my portfolio

forgot one more question, which version of ACR are you using? CS2 or 3? Latest updated installed?

If you are using firmware 1.0.0.5, isn't that a bit dated? I will update the firmware.
    i've installed ACR 4.1 =)

and sorry, it's 1.0.5 (latest) =)

Change monitor.

Quote Originally Posted by blue monster View Post
    Change monitor.
    what a "useful" advise....