Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 50

Thread: Phototaking allowed in mrt?

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    opp. East Coast Park
    Posts
    1,124

    Default Phototaking allowed in mrt?

    Is this allowed?
    Actually many mrt stations got nice things to shoot... esp. if you're into abstracts or even architecture.
    The best photographer is one who is inspired by the innate nature of his subjects.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Westy
    Posts
    2,671

    Default Re: Phototaking allowed in mrt?

    as far as i know, if you start shooting with a big camera inside a mrt station, you'll probably be stopped by the personnel working there.

    of course unless you have permission from their authorities to do a shoot inside..

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    1,984

    Default Re: Phototaking allowed in mrt?

    Yah, security is a big thing now

    But a quick one or 2 snaps with a P&S probably won't attract too much attention. Just don't whip out your FF DSLR with tripod...

  4. #4

    Default Re: Phototaking allowed in mrt?

    Quote Originally Posted by WuffRuff View Post
    Is this allowed?
    Actually many mrt stations got nice things to shoot... esp. if you're into abstracts or even architecture.
    so far i have not seen any signs that explicitly state no photography - only got no food/drinks, smoking, durian

    no one stop me so far..just shoot until they stop you. if they stop you, you can be nice guy and comply, or you could ask them to show you where it states cannot take photos

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Sengkang
    Posts
    2,156

    Default Re: Phototaking allowed in mrt?

    Quote Originally Posted by madmacs View Post
    so far i have not seen any signs that explicitly state no photography - only got no food/drinks, smoking, durian

    no one stop me so far..just shoot until they stop you. if they stop you, you can be nice guy and comply, or you could ask them to show you where it states cannot take photos
    maybe the camera will be confiscated

  6. #6

    Default Re: Phototaking allowed in mrt?

    I have seen photographers shooting fashion models on the MRT before and I have even shot a model on an 'MRT Ride' theme before. Some CSers have also done this theme. If nobody complains, you are quite safe.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Raffles Place
    Posts
    1,808

    Default Re: Phototaking allowed in mrt?

    Quote Originally Posted by ~Arcanic~ View Post
    as far as i know, if you start shooting with a big camera inside a mrt station, you'll probably be stopped by the personnel working there.

    of course unless you have permission from their authorities to do a shoot inside..
    i think they are stupid. Why so ? big camera, small camera and phone cameras are all CAMERAS ! there is no difference.. all are cameras


  8. #8

    Default Re: Phototaking allowed in mrt?

    I'm pretty sure snapping away with a small PNS or phone camera would be way more suspicious. I haven't heard about terrorists who don't try to be inconspicuous

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Raffles Place
    Posts
    1,808

    Default Re: Phototaking allowed in mrt?

    Quote Originally Posted by jmmtn4aj View Post
    I'm pretty sure snapping away with a small PNS or phone camera would be way more suspicious. I haven't heard about terrorists who don't try to be inconspicuous
    which terrorist is stupid enough to set up tripod and mount a DSLR with a zoom lens inside mrt ?

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Nee Soon
    Posts
    457

    Default Re: Phototaking allowed in mrt?

    If you want to take photo, get a friend to pretend to be the subject and stand in the general direction of what you want to take, then you snap away in that direction. Anyone watching will think you are a tourist taking pictures of your friend.

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    SGee
    Posts
    1,572

    Default Re: Phototaking allowed in mrt?

    Quote Originally Posted by arpinkor View Post
    If you want to take photo, get a friend to pretend to be the subject and stand in the general direction of what you want to take, then you snap away in that direction. Anyone watching will think you are a tourist taking pictures of your friend.
    cant agree more tourist snap almost anything. i do d same when i on holiday!

  12. #12
    Senior Member Galdor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Planet Gaia
    Posts
    9,544

    Default Re: Phototaking allowed in mrt?

    Think PnS and camera phones are quite acceptable to the security but that's what the terrorists are going to use. Don't they realised that no terrorist would want to be seen snapping away with big setups like what bro raincool2005 mentioned? Just to share, I was at City Hall one Sat morning waiting for a friend and saw a couple of foreigners (Philipino & Bangladeshi) taking photos in the station control area using their PnS and some students playing and taking pictures with their camera phones, the security did not bother them. Then 2 guys came with a small (consumer size) video cam and 1 guy was filming another walking through the underpass area and the security picked that up quite quickly and followed them to see what they were taking until they went to the City Link BreadTalk area.
    Minolta. Konica Minolta. Sony

  13. #13

    Default Re: Phototaking allowed in mrt?

    ya u r right, sometimes I question their mentality.
    Quote Originally Posted by raincool2005 View Post
    i think they are stupid. Why so ? big camera, small camera and phone cameras are all CAMERAS ! there is no difference.. all are cameras


  14. #14
    Senior Member sammy888's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    1,568

    Default Re: Phototaking allowed in mrt?

    Quote Originally Posted by Sniper ShutterBug View Post
    ya u r right, sometimes I question their mentality.
    Eh...hehe you are talking about a nation where just because some irrate idiots stick or dispose of their bumble gum inconsiderately....and we end up getting a total ban on bumble gum for at least the last decade if not more.

    We love to use big hammer to knock tiny nails.....translation: Kaisu-Kiasi.

    If I were a terrorist and I want to take picture to plan my attack...the most common cheap digital camera would be more then enough. How much more sharp or polarise or use of DSLR would I really need. heheh. I am not angry about it but I am very paisey for our authority...all the advance studies and recruiting all the so call best brains ....this is what we get. Okay maybe I am ranting abit more than I should...but that is the truth. Thus far I have never been stopped shooting at MRT stations.

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    270 degree of Singapore
    Posts
    6,741

    Default Re: Phototaking allowed in mrt?

    theory but not practical.

    Which terrorist is stupid enough to use DSLR to shoot while a handphone camera is a better tool and easier to disguise. Make you wonder what's the mentality of the personnels who set such rules
    Sony Alpha 700 hobbyist

  16. #16
    Senior Member zac08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    East
    Posts
    11,755

    Default Re: Phototaking allowed in mrt?

    Quote Originally Posted by zcf View Post
    theory but not practical.

    Which terrorist is stupid enough to use DSLR to shoot while a handphone camera is a better tool and easier to disguise. Make you wonder what's the mentality of the personnels who set such rules
    I.e. never think properly... aka almost brainless...
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

  17. #17
    vince123123
    Guests

    Default Re: Phototaking allowed in mrt?

    This topic was discussed before, and some people tried to assert that it is illegal to shoot on the MRT

  18. #18

    Default Re: Phototaking allowed in mrt?

    The color of your skin sometimes plays a role too.

    I have seen tourists shooting either in still or video, none of the security forces stops them. But if it is a local, then it is another story. I wonder why?

  19. #19

    Default Re: Phototaking allowed in mrt?

    Behave like a tourist, shouldnt be any problems. You cant blame them for doing their job right? Imagine arguing with the stn people about letting you take that low light long exposure shot, they wont understand from your point of view that it's art.
    One-North Explorers
    | Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but photos |

  20. #20
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    opp. East Coast Park
    Posts
    1,124

    Default Re: Phototaking allowed in mrt?

    Quote Originally Posted by zcf View Post
    theory but not practical.

    Which terrorist is stupid enough to use DSLR to shoot while a handphone camera is a better tool and easier to disguise. Make you wonder what's the mentality of the personnels who set such rules
    The thing is I don't think the higher authorities actually made such rules as "stop those with big cameras, small cameras are fine". They probably set the rule (or maybe did not even have a hard and fast rule) to stop photo-taking or filming activities. Then, its the lazy security guard who decides to filter and only stop those with big cameras. Come on, how educated do you think security guards are? PSLE is more than sufficient for them to get the job... probably if you're big, don't even need PSLE!
    The best photographer is one who is inspired by the innate nature of his subjects.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •