Thread: Before and After Travel Care

Default Before and After Travel Care

A newbie and just got my new DSLR. Need some advise on what to do for the camera before a 3-5 days trip and the care needed after the trip, apart from storing it back in the dry cab. Thanks.

Default Re: Before and After Travel Care

Nothing. IMO nothing must be done, but if you're a stickler for keeping that new feeling, then you might want to wipe it down thoroughly with a cloth damped with very very very mild soap, then wipe the soap layer away with a cloth damped with water.

Another point to note is that new camera batteries need a couple of cycles to reach their full capacity. You may use this to get famililar with your camera and it's functions before leaving for four trip.

It would be a bummer if you are fiddling with it during the shot and miss your "kodak moment"

To add on, if any dust accumulates, blow it away during and after the trip. Clean off any stains (If any) on your filter/lens before storing them in your dry cabinet.

Thanks for both the advices. sure helps.

Don't worry. Have fun, shoot more.

When I came back from a 16-day Aussie trip, my sensor was full of dust due to changing of lens. A visit to the service centre is all you need.

Quote Originally Posted by Madmax View Post
    Don't worry. Have fun, shoot more.

When I came back from a 16-day Aussie trip, my sensor was full of dust due to changing of lens. A visit to the service centre is all you need.
    Agreed! When I returned from a 4-day trip in the wilderness, I sent my gear (After cleaning up their exterior) into the service centre for a clean, checkup and maintainence!

You guys have a specific centre to go to?

Quote Originally Posted by farmhouse View Post
    You guys have a specific centre to go to?
    to the respective brand's service centre.

Quote Originally Posted by jmmtn4aj View Post
    Nothing. IMO nothing must be done, but if you're a stickler for keeping that new feeling, then you might want to wipe it down thoroughly with a cloth damped with very very very mild soap, then wipe the soap layer away with a cloth damped with water.
    Don't forget to wipe down the lenses too! They need as much attention as the camera body. Only the exterior, of course!

bring a blower along as well.. to blow off dust from the gear..