Thread: Newbie photo...needs comments

Default Newbie photo...needs comments

I'm a newbie....... trying hard to get the right composition........this one was shot in some orchestra practice session

C&C required ( on all aspects of Photo)

Canon 5D mk II /50 f/1.8, 24-105 f/4 IS L, 70-200 f4 IS L, 580EX II
    My Flickr

Default Re: Newbie photo...needs comments

Good effort, especially with the focus.

Maybe you can try shooting it from another angle that shows more of the intricate details of the instrument. i.e. a more full-on instead of profile

Some distracting elements in the background. The yellow looks like an escape route.

Would love to see the person's face itself with the instrument.

Can try burning the hand in PS so it's darker.

Keep shooting! (:

Not entirely sure what u are trying to say in the pic, but there are two possibilities: clarinet or fingering.

For the former this presentation is not most ideal, cos a still life of a clarinet, where u can go closer, and with some directional lighting, revealing more details, may be a better way of saying it. But then again your intent could be to show the clarinet being played, but we see only the fingers and without the mouthpiece it is inadequately expressed.

Fingering may be what this pic is about, but details are lacking esp of the right hand. And also a better way could be to use a slow shutter with late curtain flash, where you capture some sense of motion and also lift the shadows under the palms.

Quote Originally Posted by deejaykyle View Post
    Good effort, especially with the focus.

Maybe you can try shooting it from another angle that shows more of the intricate details of the instrument. i.e. a more full-on instead of profile

Some distracting elements in the background. The yellow looks like an escape route.

Would love to see the person's face itself with the instrument.

Can try burning the hand in PS so it's darker.

Keep shooting! (:
    Hi deejaykyle,

Thanks a lot...... can you please tell me how to "Burn" in PS (may be that's a v silly question , but i'm a newbie).
    My Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by espion View Post
    Not entirely sure what u are trying to say in the pic, but there are two possibilities: clarinet or fingering.

For the former this presentation is not most ideal, cos a still life of a clarinet, where u can go closer, and with some directional lighting, revealing more details, may be a better way of saying it. But then again your intent could be to show the clarinet being played, but we see only the fingers and without the mouthpiece it is inadequately expressed.

Fingering may be what this pic is about, but details are lacking esp of the right hand. And also a better way could be to use a slow shutter with late curtain flash, where you capture some sense of motion and also lift the shadows under the palms.
    Hi espion,

I'm not very sure, but i was actually aiming at the fingering......i accept your point that i should have used slower shutter speed, but then i was fearing of the picture being shaky ( wasn't using the tripod).......also i din really get what is this "late curtain flash"...... would be grt is u can tell me....
    My Flickr

vertical shot will be better,
    the pose of the right hand is awful, can try to shoot from a higher angle, so the right hand has more curve lines.
    background too messy.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Quote Originally Posted by gumnaam View Post
    Hi deejaykyle,

Thanks a lot...... can you please tell me how to "Burn" in PS (may be that's a v silly question , but i'm a newbie).
    the burn tool is at the toolbar area.

Quote Originally Posted by cjyong View Post
    the burn tool is at the toolbar area.
    Thanks a lot cjyong
    My Flickr