Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 4567811 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 120 of 240

Thread: Shooting mode for weddings actual day

  1. #101

    Default Re: Shooting mode for weddings actual day

    Quote Originally Posted by CreaXion View Post
    Basically, I shoot M all the way right up to my flash. I also dun rely on metering readings but by guaging the environment as what Catchlights had said. This comes with experience though.

    But i tot the advise above is interesting and good advice cause the constraints of each mode is tot out. However, there are some technical points which needs to be noted. You must know which zone u meter from will affect your readings and hence your image. It is not as simple as just switch to what mode and shoot although it will roughly give u a good reading. The differences is not noticeable unless u compared it with another image, then it will become noticeable. But most laymen will not notice the difference.

    The second thing to note for the TS is that each camera has their strengths and weaknesses. Canon and Nikon systems has different strengths and weaknesses. The models also differ in their strengths also. Hence, it would be good for you to try out the different modes.

    My personal experience is that Canon systems are more forgiving than Nikon's in terms of WB and exposure based on my perception as I have both system. However, I cannot generalise cause models differ from each other. However, my developer and some of my friends noticed that the WB of D200 is most unforgiving, it may be good to shoot in raw if using this cam. Personally, I dun shoot raw unless, I know that it will be used for big prints. Then raw comes into the picture. However, it is really your personal preference. It is your personal workflow.
    Don't you find manual mode more troublesome to set the shutter and aperture (and possibly ISO too)? With A mode all you have to do is use compensation-one button. With M mode you have to use at least 2 buttons.

    I dunno lah. Last time when I was press photographer I hate to use M mode because every second counts, if I miss the shot adjusting dials-there is no backup photographer around, I am a goner.

  2. #102
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Planet Earth
    Posts
    1,191

    Default Re: Shooting mode for weddings actual day

    Quote Originally Posted by chanjyj View Post
    Don't you find manual mode more troublesome to set the shutter and aperture (and possibly ISO too)? With A mode all you have to do is use compensation-one button. With M mode you have to use at least 2 buttons.

    I dunno lah. Last time when I was press photographer I hate to use M mode because every second counts, if I miss the shot adjusting dials-there is no backup photographer around, I am a goner.
    Actually in M mode, there are 4 values, Aperture, Shutter, ISO and power output on the flash.

    To answer your question, not really cause I can gauge and respond to the environment quite well. However, while shooting outdoors, it is indeed a chore due to the constant changing lighting. Just require practise.

    I have shot together with the press several times. They tend to be machine gunners. I guess our focus is a bit different. Different situations and jobs would require different modes.

    To me, which mode u use does not determine anything. Reason for me choosing M mode is because I noticed that my colours and exposure are even and vibrant without PSing. When things are auto, it tends to calculate the average reading and not the actual reading. It also does not take into consideration like half past six type of lighting. Hence the reason for me choosing the mode.
    Last edited by CreaXion; 1st July 2007 at 08:15 AM.

  3. #103
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    560

    Default Re: Shooting mode for weddings actual day

    Quote Originally Posted by CreaXion View Post
    Do you think you deserved to be whacked for saying such a sweeping statement? People shoot raw or JPEG for a reason and there are tons of reason. Dun you think this is a statement that demeans.

    I for one shoot JPEGS only because I am confident of my own exposure even in room with strong ambient lighting and hence why the need for raw which affects the workflow. This is call working smart. However, I do acknowledge the fact that some pros shoot raw. It is really a matter of personal preference.

    And by the way, have u seen how a good lab developer works?
    relax creaxion...

    chill out man....

    singapore has a few good labs, but alot of lazy ones around.

  4. #104
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    560

    Default Re: Shooting mode for weddings actual day

    Quote Originally Posted by CreaXion View Post
    I have shot together with the press several times. They tend to be machine gunners. I guess our focus is a bit different. Different situations and jobs would require different modes.
    not all hor ! i shoot at 5fps only.... i know some who NOW do it at 10fps !

    hahaha...

  5. #105

    Default Re: Shooting mode for weddings actual day

    Quote Originally Posted by CreaXion View Post
    Actually in M mode, there are 4 values, Aperture, Shutter, ISO and power output on the flash.

    To answer your question, not really cause I can gauge and respond to the environment quite well. However, while shooting outdoors, it is indeed a chore due to the constant changing lighting. Just require practise.

    I have shot together with the press several times. They tend to be machine gunners. I guess our focus is a bit different. Different situations and jobs would require different modes.

    To me, which mode u use does not determine anything. Reason for me choosing M mode is because I noticed that my colours and exposure are even and vibrant without PSing. When things are auto, it tends to calculate the average reading and not the actual reading. It also does not take into consideration like half past six type of lighting. Hence the reason for me choosing the mode.
    Won't using the compensation buttons settle such issues? I did think it would, but I have never tried doing the same scene between manual settings and auto settings+compensation on the same scene with tripod, and comparing the diff.

    About outdoor lighting changing... I thought indoor lighting changes even more!
    eg. Wedding dinner... you have the stage (which is sometimes floodlit?) and the tables.. and then even more suay if the tablesare lighted by candles or something... then if the bride and groom make entrance and you have those dry ice effects... I think it would be disaster for me (I like to capture the bride and groom coming in with dry ice, and then suddenly turn 180 degrees around to capture the look on the friends and family's faces.. if I use manual I may be too slow to change, I think. Their expression would be "lost")

    To me outdoor lighting (in daytime) is fairly consistent. Well, good luck if you shooting chingay parade though

  6. #106

    Default Re: Shooting mode for weddings actual day

    Quote Originally Posted by xziredmp View Post
    not all hor ! i shoot at 5fps only.... i know some who NOW do it at 10fps !

    hahaha...
    Yah. Sometimes you have to GPMG because there's a massive crowd with you that like to PUSH

    Sometimes some idiot stick his face in front of you and I get one shot that is blck colour

    And if I am shooting in US... I can kena chase away by police or bodyguard ... so I GPMG backwards while running running forwards.. lol.. good thing got NS training

  7. #107
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Planet Earth
    Posts
    1,191

    Default Re: Shooting mode for weddings actual day

    Quote Originally Posted by chanjyj View Post
    Won't using the compensation buttons settle such issues? I did think it would, but I have never tried doing the same scene between manual settings and auto settings+compensation on the same scene with tripod, and comparing the diff.

    About outdoor lighting changing... I thought indoor lighting changes even more!
    eg. Wedding dinner... you have the stage (which is sometimes floodlit?) and the tables.. and then even more suay if the tablesare lighted by candles or something... then if the bride and groom make entrance and you have those dry ice effects... I think it would be disaster for me (I like to capture the bride and groom coming in with dry ice, and then suddenly turn 180 degrees around to capture the look on the friends and family's faces.. if I use manual I may be too slow to change, I think. Their expression would be "lost")

    To me outdoor lighting (in daytime) is fairly consistent. Well, good luck if you shooting chingay parade though
    In your scenario yes.

    Since I shoot Malay weddings, the outdoor would be like
    Groom assembles with entourage in the open. Moves and the clouds come. Suddenly darkens. Clouds clear and brighten the sky. Moves into shades of the tree. Some pp under shade while some still under sun. Moves into the void deck. Walk by the side. Half past six lighting liao.

  8. #108

    Default Re: Shooting mode for weddings actual day

    Quote Originally Posted by CreaXion View Post
    In your scenario yes.

    Since I shoot Malay weddings, the outdoor would be like
    Groom assembles with entourage in the open. Moves and the clouds come. Suddenly darkens. Clouds clear and brighten the sky. Moves into shades of the tree. Some pp under shade while some still under sun. Moves into the void deck. Walk by the side. Half past six lighting liao.
    Wah.. good luck then You mus be walking alot.. me lazy bum like to auto everything. Sometimes Chinese dinner the bride and groom make long long speech (10min!) I get bored, dump my camera on tripod and use telephoto to take the pics (After going clopse up to take important shots first)

    lol.. I must be the only cuckoo in SG who use tripod in wedding dinner

  9. #109
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Planet Earth
    Posts
    1,191

    Default Re: Shooting mode for weddings actual day

    Quote Originally Posted by chanjyj View Post
    Wah.. good luck then You mus be walking alot.. me lazy bum like to auto everything. Sometimes Chinese dinner the bride and groom make long long speech (10min!) I get bored, dump my camera on tripod and use telephoto to take the pics (After going clopse up to take important shots first)

    lol.. I must be the only cuckoo in SG who use tripod in wedding dinner
    Then u must be the cuckoo i saw Just joking. Anyway, it is for obvious reason why u used telephoto right. Creamy background, isolated portrait ......

  10. #110

    Default Re: Shooting mode for weddings actual day

    Quote Originally Posted by CreaXion View Post
    Then u must be the cuckoo i saw Just joking. Anyway, it is for obvious reason why u used telephoto right. Creamy background, isolated portrait ......
    If you take MRT and see one young looking fella got camera bag but still plonk his lightweight Nikon D40 with permernantly attached SB-400 on a manfrotto tripod... confirm most likely me

  11. #111
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    4,532

    Default Re: Shooting mode for weddings actual day

    so how jeanie? got alot good shots? share share leh

  12. #112

    Default Re: Shooting mode for weddings actual day

    i am a newbie whom had 1 chance in shooting my cousin's wedding for fun.
    using 400d with 17-55 f2.8 IS
    i used A mode mostly, shoot in raw.
    got 897 raws .... due to my work schedule, i spent more than a week to raw edit and convert jpg. as on now, only 80% done. i need LR!!!
    as a hobbyist, is a very good experience from the 18hrs event 6am - 12am.
    appreciate the pros and experienced people here share their knowledge and advice to TS and readers <- thats me.

    the "pro" photog that my cousin paid for, he using a fuji body... with AA batteries in the battery grip. keep changing the AA batteries doing event. even the banquet table walk ard, he shoot half way have to change batteries... i have to help him to "waste time" shooting the table.... and everybody waiting.....

    you may goto my flickr and take a look at my very very pre-amatuer wedding photos

    TS: where ya foto? can share share i hope to learn

  13. #113

    Default Re: Shooting mode for weddings actual day

    Quote Originally Posted by jasperng View Post
    i am a newbie whom had 1 chance in shooting my cousin's wedding for fun.
    using 400d with 17-55 f2.8 IS
    i used A mode mostly, shoot in raw.
    got 897 raws .... due to my work schedule, i spent more than a week to raw edit and convert jpg. as on now, only 80% done. i need LR!!!
    as a hobbyist, is a very good experience from the 18hrs event 6am - 12am.
    appreciate the pros and experienced people here share their knowledge and advice to TS and readers <- thats me.

    the "pro" photog that my cousin paid for, he using a fuji body... with AA batteries in the battery grip. keep changing the AA batteries doing event. even the banquet table walk ard, he shoot half way have to change batteries... i have to help him to "waste time" shooting the table.... and everybody waiting.....

    you may goto my flickr and take a look at my very very pre-amatuer wedding photos

    TS: where ya foto? can share share i hope to learn
    That photographer camera something wrong i think... Neve heard of camera change battery so many times

    CHANGE AA BATTERY AND MAKE PEOPLE WAIT?!!!!!!! Mummy ah... he should have used a new set before hand..

  14. #114

    Default Re: Shooting mode for weddings actual day

    Quote Originally Posted by chanjyj View Post
    That photographer camera something wrong i think... Neve heard of camera change battery so many times

    CHANGE AA BATTERY AND MAKE PEOPLE WAIT?!!!!!!! Mummy ah... he should have used a new set before hand..
    ya.... kind of unusual for "pro" to use AA batteries for dSLR in the 1st place.

  15. #115
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    4,532

    Default Re: Shooting mode for weddings actual day

    Quote Originally Posted by jasperng View Post
    ya.... kind of unusual for "pro" to use AA batteries for dSLR in the 1st place.
    think he might be using Fujifilm S2/S3 pro bah

  16. #116
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Planet Earth
    Posts
    1,191

    Default Re: Shooting mode for weddings actual day

    Quote Originally Posted by jasperng View Post
    ya.... kind of unusual for "pro" to use AA batteries for dSLR in the 1st place.
    Very unusual. Probably lost his actual camera battery. AA will never last throughout a shoot as far as I know. So no matter how strong the battery is, thats it.

  17. #117

    Default Re: Shooting mode for weddings actual day

    haha...alot of OT ord...haha. TS gone quiet ord...wah, the pro photog never even use rechargeable NiMH's?

  18. #118

    Default Re: Shooting mode for weddings actual day

    my partner isusing AAs,
    n he changed batteries very often,
    though not as bad as half way thru the table shot.
    he did not lose his camera's batt.
    he is using the S3Pro.
    accepts only AAs

    Quote Originally Posted by CreaXion View Post
    Very unusual. Probably lost his actual camera battery. AA will never last throughout a shoot as far as I know. So no matter how strong the battery is, thats it.

  19. #119

    Default Re: Shooting mode for weddings actual day

    Quote Originally Posted by Errz View Post
    so how jeanie? got alot good shots? share share leh
    got at least, they look good to me.

    in total, i shot 21GB.
    2.3kRAW + some jpegs.

    my d200 batt really cannot make it.an entire day, i used up 4 batteries, and this is not even with reviewing the pics.

    quantum turbo, what can i say?it's excellent.
    with recharge rate of up to 1-2 secs, i didnt miss much shots.

    shooting weddings very xiong.i guess i wont do it often.i would rather dress up elegantly and sit down enjoy the dinner.

    really have to thank my friend who helped me carry my bag and lenses throughout the entire day.

  20. #120
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    4,532

    Default Re: Shooting mode for weddings actual day

    Quote Originally Posted by jeanie View Post
    got at least, they look good to me.

    in total, i shot 21GB.
    2.3kRAW + some jpegs.

    my d200 batt really cannot make it.an entire day, i used up 4 batteries, and this is not even with reviewing the pics.

    quantum turbo, what can i say?it's excellent.
    with recharge rate of up to 1-2 secs, i didnt miss much shots.

    shooting weddings very xiong.i guess i wont do it often.i would rather dress up elegantly and sit down enjoy the dinner.

    really have to thank my friend who helped me carry my bag and lenses throughout the entire day.
    2300 of Raw ?? eh consider very good liao leh the battery.

Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 4567811 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •