Thread: Shooting mode for weddings actual day

Default Re: Shooting mode for weddings actual day

Quote Originally Posted by ortega View Post
    you will be suprised of how much can be done to a jpeg file
    and the reduction in quality can only be noticed if you pixel peep
    I second this

Quote Originally Posted by zac08 View Post
    Corrections for Jpegs are only limited to so much, after-all, they are already reduced in quality.
    if the exposure is way way off, than very suay lor, anyway, the exposure is like that, raw also can't save until perfect.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

you will be suprised of how much can be done to a jpeg file
    and the reduction in quality can only be noticed if you pixel peep
    Well. To each their own. After-all, I've paid for a camera which gives me solid RAW files which I can edit with to my likings. So why do I want to be limited to a jpeg compression which is all decided by the camera? I suppose each individuals would have their points somewhere.

Cheers,
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

yes, shoot raw or jpg, to each their own,

for me, it also depend on assignments, many assignments want me to give the jpg in CD right after the session, don't even have time to screen thru the images, so shoot only in jpg.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Blog Entries

Well. To each their own. After-all, I've paid for a camera which gives me solid RAW files which I can edit with to my likings. So why do I want to be limited to a jpeg compression which is all decided by the camera? I suppose each individuals would have their points somewhere.

Cheers,
    i agree to disagree

cheers and happy processing

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_Yeo View Post
    actually and personally, I dun find that exposure should be the main concern in shooting weddings leh.

If you are still unsure of what mode to use, I think you will not learn much by shooting wedding as most of the time you will be meddling with the technical issues.

I think concentrate on the wedding itself is better - composition, the people, the ceremony.

If you keep on thinking of technical issues, I dunno if you will enjoy the wedding itself.

Dunno if I am making sense or not.
    This actually makes sense. Sometimes the picture may be blur but the essence of the image is caught, no matter if it is in Jpeg or raw, it's good means it's good.

this is what i call healthy discussion without flamings.

what one does doesnt mean the rest have to follow.
    so far the books i've read, almost all of them advocate shooting RAW.

the way i see it.
    if you shoot for $, then jpeg.
    you go, you shoot, you download, you burn to cd, you pass to clients, you get your $.

if you shoot for fun(like me in my context), i shoot raw.
    i go, i shoot, i download, i edit and adjust to what i like until i 'song' , then i burn, i pass to friends, i get a smile, a word of sincere thanks.

i've already said before, it all boils down to personal preference.dont stand so hard on it.

so far, the pro photogs i spoke to in this forum shoots in RAW.

a few months back before LR was launched, i am definitely on the side of jpeg.just fire, and forget.

anyway, wish me luck.sunday's the big day for me cos it's one of my good friends wedding.
    i wont say i'm very experienced, but i'm quite confident my exposure will be spot on for at least 90% of my shots.

until then guys...

Just one more word of advise. Dun get too carried away with your new toy and shoot too fast. Else you may need to get a few more SB-800's
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

Just one more word of advise. Dun get too carried away with your new toy and shoot too fast. Else you may need to get a few more SB-800's
    roger!

i dont have a spare flash.if my sb800 blows...then it's high iso all the way already.

i agree to disagree
    gandalf quoting me... so nice

i treat the raw file like my BW negatives, it contains a lot of info and by fidling around with it you can get more or less out of it. Having just the jpeg is like having only the print, no negative. a way many people treat their photographs but i treasure my negatives....

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    gandalf quoting me... so nice
    were you the one that coined this?
    wow i am honored

Quote Originally Posted by jeanie View Post
    would like to know your preferred shooting mode for actual day weddings.

M-manual
    A-aperture priority
    S-shutter speed priority
    P-program (are you sure you use this? )
    i used to use alot of P mode. its a safe and reliable mode, although many here belittles this mode coz its seems amaturish.

nowadays i use all 4 modes almost equally.
    manual for the tricky ones, especially dinner. set a relatively slow shutter to get the background up, and between f4-5.6, iso changes accordingly.

P mode for emergency situations when i die die must get the pic, forget abt style or art or whatever u call it.

S when i am at a bright enuff place and using a mid tele, like 85mm. set to appropriate shutter to ensure no handshake blur coz i got no IS/VR lens. this mode can be dangerous though, coz your pix can end up under if the place is too dim and aperture is already maxed out.

A mode used a little lesser, coz i felt its almost like M mode, unless i am using lens with big aperture. coz if using an f4 lens, not much aperture to play with in the 1st place, unless subject is far from background.

happy shooting
    web | blog | fb | ig

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_Yeo View Post
    actually and personally, I dun find that exposure should be the main concern in shooting weddings leh.

If you are still unsure of what mode to use, I think you will not learn much by shooting wedding as most of the time you will be meddling with the technical issues.

I think concentrate on the wedding itself is better - composition, the people, the ceremony.

If you keep on thinking of technical issues, I dunno if you will enjoy the wedding itself.

Dunno if I am making sense or not.
    Yes, you're making sense! I agree.

jeanie,
    just for fun
    is the groom a teacher?

so far, the pro photogs i spoke to in this forum shoots in RAW.
    I think there are some very famous pro here that shoot in JPEG

were you the one that coined this?
    wow i am honored
    probably not... just mentioned it before in threads about involving some famous CSers
    Never forget rule 5
    My Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by EiRiK View Post
    i used to use alot of P mode. its a safe and reliable mode, although many here belittles this mode coz its seems amaturish.

nowadays i use all 4 modes almost equally.
    manual for the tricky ones, especially dinner. set a relatively slow shutter to get the background up, and between f4-5.6, iso changes accordingly.

P mode for emergency situations when i die die must get the pic, forget abt style or art or whatever u call it.

S when i am at a bright enuff place and using a mid tele, like 85mm. set to appropriate shutter to ensure no handshake blur coz i got no IS/VR lens. this mode can be dangerous though, coz your pix can end up under if the place is too dim and aperture is already maxed out.

A mode used a little lesser, coz i felt its almost like M mode, unless i am using lens with big aperture. coz if using an f4 lens, not much aperture to play with in the 1st place, unless subject is far from background.

happy shooting
    Basically, I shoot M all the way right up to my flash. I also dun rely on metering readings but by guaging the environment as what Catchlights had said. This comes with experience though.

But i tot the advise above is interesting and good advice cause the constraints of each mode is tot out. However, there are some technical points which needs to be noted. You must know which zone u meter from will affect your readings and hence your image. It is not as simple as just switch to what mode and shoot although it will roughly give u a good reading. The differences is not noticeable unless u compared it with another image, then it will become noticeable. But most laymen will not notice the difference.

The second thing to note for the TS is that each camera has their strengths and weaknesses. Canon and Nikon systems has different strengths and weaknesses. The models also differ in their strengths also. Hence, it would be good for you to try out the different modes.

My personal experience is that Canon systems are more forgiving than Nikon's in terms of WB and exposure based on my perception as I have both system. However, I cannot generalise cause models differ from each other. However, my developer and some of my friends noticed that the WB of D200 is most unforgiving, it may be good to shoot in raw if using this cam. Personally, I dun shoot raw unless, I know that it will be used for big prints. Then raw comes into the picture. However, it is really your personal preference. It is your personal workflow.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Potter View Post
    I think there are some very famous pro here that shoot in JPEG
    In general, most professionals would shoot in JPEG based on my personal observations. Some shoot raw only for some shots. However, the term of the word used "professional" is very subjective. A professional can be good or bad.

Some hobbyists are just as good as professionals or maybe even better. Therefore to quote that famous professionals used raw is a an absolute statement and is definitely not true. By speaking to some pros here is only one corner of the iceberg.

if you shoot for $, then jpeg.
    you go, you shoot, you download, you burn to cd, you pass to clients, you get your $.
    Do you think you deserved to be whacked for saying such a sweeping statement? People shoot raw or JPEG for a reason and there are tons of reason. Dun you think this is a statement that demeans.

I for one shoot JPEGS only because I am confident of my own exposure even in room with strong ambient lighting and hence why the need for raw which affects the workflow. This is call working smart. However, I do acknowledge the fact that some pros shoot raw. It is really a matter of personal preference.

And by the way, have u seen how a good lab developer works?

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 3456710 ... LastLast