Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 234569 ... LastLast

Thread: Shooting mode for weddings actual day

Default Re: Shooting mode for weddings actual day

Quote Originally Posted by psychobiologist View Post
    nah.. auntie jeanie special case.. after having seen many interesting questions she asked.. clubsnap members have some how became more "patient" after having whacked her left right centre in the earlier days...
    whack lor.
    afterall, newbies are in this forum to be whacked by people who deemed they know everything and only shoot in MANUAL mode mah.it's ok.
    auntie jeanie's armour thick and flamed proof.

Quote Originally Posted by psychobiologist View Post
    jean -> ever tried shooting tethered? if ever i cover an event like this i might get a friend along with a wireless router, i'll shoot tethered onto hdd, that would probably be a comfortable 30-40gb, at the same time a friend on a lappy nearby can immediately download.. and even display it via wireless :X

thats w/o using the d200 wireless transmitter though, and your files go directly to hdd.. down side is that.. lugging a lappy in a backpack quite.. uncomfortable
    yes thought of.
    in fact, it's my xmas wish list this year.
    thinking of getting the WT3 to wirelessly transmit the pics to my home desktop.
    i'm not a pro, and i dont cover events.i merely shoot my friend's wedding for fun, so i doubt i'll get a laptop just for that.

the downside of heavy, uncomfy never worries me.cos i always have good friends who are always willing to lug my equipment for me when i shoot weddings or outdoor portraiture.

Quote Originally Posted by unseen View Post
    being able to salvage should be the last reason to shoot raw.
    In fact it shouldn't even be a reason.

IMHO, one should start shooting raw only after they're able to control their exposures.

WHAT on EARTH ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT!

Raw or JPEG, still must learn the basic. For those who depend on raw processing to salvage bad shot, well, their picture must suck, but then it is not a reason to deny all others who want to learn the wonder of shooting raw.

By the way, shooting is not just exposure alone!
    deadpoet
    my portfolio

Quote Originally Posted by Deadpoet View Post
    WHAT on EARTH ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT!

Raw or JPEG, still must learn the basic. For those who depend on raw processing to salvage bad shot, well, their picture must suck, but then it is not a reason to deny all others who want to learn the wonder of shooting raw.

By the way, shooting is not just exposure alone!
    dp, dont god damn make things worse.
    i think people are on my arse because of the fact you simply posted in my thread.
    next time, take your personal trolls to mars for the final showdown.

i'm in heaven.so it's all peace here.get it?
    doh!

Quote Originally Posted by jeanie View Post
    yes thought of.
    in fact, it's my xmas wish list this year.
    thinking of getting the WT3 to wirelessly transmit the pics to my home desktop.
    i'm not a pro, and i dont cover events.i merely shoot my friend's wedding for fun, so i doubt i'll get a laptop just for that.

the downside of heavy, uncomfy never worries me.cos i always have good friends who are always willing to lug my equipment for me when i shoot weddings or outdoor portraiture.
    Do note that shooting with a WT-3 may not be your idea of fun. Apparently battery life isn't very excellent when you're transmitting and shooting at the same time.
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

Quote Originally Posted by unseen View Post
    Personally:

If you don't know what mode to use, don't shoot wedding.
    If you know how to shoot, you wouldn't need to know what mode, it's automatically M mode.

If you're going to shoot wedding FOR FUN, then try out the different modes. As a hobbyist, anything goes, be it A, S or P.
    To be frank, I shoot in A mode all the time, unless want to tweak shutter or aperture then it goes to S or A. I reserve M for the shots where A cannot handle, or I want to get some special effect.

Quote Originally Posted by chanjyj View Post
    To be frank, I shoot in A mode all the time, unless want to tweak shutter or aperture then it goes to S or A. I reserve M for the shots where A cannot handle, or I want to get some special effect.
    I agree... many a times in weddings things happen very fast esp if u are those on the ball kind.. one moment u may be shooting the couple in a darker corner another moment when u turn around u see another moment to be captured. if shoot in manual mode, u have to be very fast and confident to readjust ur exposures before the precious moments just slip away
    Last edited by Autumnite; 29th June 2007 at 04:09 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jeanie View Post
    means if anyone shoots raw, means you do not know/trust your skills/camera to get the exposure right???

if you don't know what will be the result when you press the shutter
    then you are not sure about your skills/camera

must be digital only and have not shot slides b4
    last time must be able to get 1 full roll (36 exposures) of slides correctly exposed
    then can pass

Quote Originally Posted by ortega View Post
    if you don't know what will be the result when you press the shutter
    then you are not sure about your skills/camera

must be digital only and have not shot slides b4
    last time must be able to get 1 full roll (36 exposures) of slides correctly exposed
    then can pass
    auntie j aside ...

the range of tolerance of today's digital sensor is not much difference when compared to the slides of our youth ...

btw, isn't better be expose correctly in raw then in jpeg ... afterall, jpeg is a lossy compression
    deadpoet
    my portfolio

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Deadpoet View Post
    auntie j aside ...

the range of tolerance of today's digital sensor is not much difference when compared to the slides of our youth ...

btw, isn't better be expose correctly in raw then in jpeg ... afterall, jpeg is a lossy compression
    auntie J and gang's reason is to be able save badly exposed image when shooting in raw format.

Raw format should be use when you want to extract as much data from your digital capture.
    they shoot raw and batch process everything or just accept the default settings.

What a waste or time

the camera is able to do in real time as the image is captured

when the slides are placed on a lightbox, that's it either it is right or wrong

auntie J and gang's reason is to be able save badly exposed image when shooting in raw format.

Raw format should be use when you want to extract as much data from your digital capture.
    they shoot raw and batch process everything or just accept the default settings.

What a waste or time

the camera is able to do in real time as the image is captured

when the slides are placed on a lightbox, that's it either it is right or wrong
    Well, by your reasoning, they aren't doing much to recover anyway. I shot loads of Jpegs before I discovered the usefullness of RAW's. And now, I shoot only Raw files, I want to be in control of the conversion to Jpeg, not just the camera itself.

You can't compare the shooting of a Jpeg to a slide, it's not the same. And even for those slide users, I believe some shoot the scene with a DSLR, get the readings and then shoot the slide in that setting. So is that a form of cheating?

Whatever the format you end up with, you're the one deciding how you like the picture and how you should be exposing the picture.
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

shoot in Raw then after reading so much on this forum.. I started out with wedding in Raw also ..Not that confindent persay with my exposure. it wasnt that easy to do conversion during the last few years while i have a old and slow comp.

Now I only do it in jpeg. After a long while of perfecting the exposure and knowing how much I have to take and what can i throw if that not the shot that i din want. with LR is a added advantage in jpeg. If ur exposure if ur exposure is almost there. Just throw away the unwanted photo and just export the rest. It the work flow that is important now for me .

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by zac08 View Post
    Well, by your reasoning, they aren't doing much to recover anyway. I shot loads of Jpegs before I discovered the usefullness of RAW's. And now, I shoot only Raw files, I want to be in control of the conversion to Jpeg, not just the camera itself.

You can't compare the shooting of a Jpeg to a slide, it's not the same. And even for those slide users, I believe some shoot the scene with a DSLR, get the readings and then shoot the slide in that setting. So is that a form of cheating?

Whatever the format you end up with, you're the one deciding how you like the picture and how you should be exposing the picture.
    the slides is just used to show the accuracy of the exposure, nothing to do with jpegs
    you can still do correction with jpegs

technically it is not the right way to do so, cos two are different mediums, and for transparencies film, or any other type of film, you need to find out the optimum ISO rating for the film you use. So it may not get the right exposure for the slide, unless ones know the different between the two medium and know how to compensate for it.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

actually and personally, I dun find that exposure should be the main concern in shooting weddings leh.

If you are still unsure of what mode to use, I think you will not learn much by shooting wedding as most of the time you will be meddling with the technical issues.

I think concentrate on the wedding itself is better - composition, the people, the ceremony.

If you keep on thinking of technical issues, I dunno if you will enjoy the wedding itself.

Dunno if I am making sense or not.

the slides is just used to show the accuracy of the exposure, nothing to do with jpegs
    you can still do correction with jpegs
    Corrections for Jpegs are only limited to so much, after-all, they are already reduced in quality.
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    technically it is not the right way to do so, cos two are different mediums, and for transparencies film, or any other type of film, you need to find out the optimum ISO rating for the film you use. So it may not get the right exposure for the slide, unless ones know the different between the two medium and know how to compensate for it.
    I understand, but I think there are some who actually does this as a form of metering method??
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

Corrections for Jpegs are only limited to so much, after-all, they are already reduced in quality.
    There is corrective and preventive measure.

Shooting right in the first place is preventive.

Shoot wrongly and edit later is corrective.

I always think that preventive is way better than corrective.

Blog Entries

you will be suprised of how much can be done to a jpeg file
    and the reduction in quality can only be noticed if you pixel peep

I understand, but I think there are some who actually does this as a form of metering method??
    they can:-
    #1, use the hand held light meter, if the camera does not have a built in meter.
    #2, use the camera meter.
    #3, use the "basic day light exposure guild".
    #4, read the scene, and gauge the exposure.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 234569 ... LastLast