Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 100 of 150

Thread: Should I get a Mac?

  1. #81

    Default Re: Should I get a Mac?

    Quote Originally Posted by Stereobox View Post
    most Mac apps are intended to work perfectly fine with a one-button operation. but they will work just fine with multi-buttons mouse as well, to scroll or bring out extra menus etc just like in Windows.

    my advise is, get over the 2-button mouse mentality =)

    But why? Most PC apps work perfectly fine with a 2 button operation. So my advise is, get over the 1-button mouse mentality. =)

  2. #82
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Sengkang
    Posts
    2,156

    Default Re: Should I get a Mac?

    Quote Originally Posted by Stereobox View Post
    most Mac apps are intended to work perfectly fine with a one-button operation. but they will work just fine with multi-buttons mouse as well, to scroll or bring out extra menus etc just like in Windows.

    my advise is, get over the 2-button mouse mentality =)
    Can you tell me why I should get over the 2-button mouse mentality? Bcos my Mac comes with a 2button mouse and I find it convenient leh.

    I surf net with only 1 hand, so pressing any combination of keyboard button + mouse-button is a hassle to me.

  3. #83
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Sengkang
    Posts
    2,156

    Default Re: Should I get a Mac?

    Quote Originally Posted by nottipiglet View Post
    But why? Most PC apps work perfectly fine with a 2 button operation. So my advise is, get over the 1-button mouse mentality. =)
    I am using my mac with 2 button mouse for the past 2 years.

    PC apps work fine with 2 button doesn't mean it can be make easier and more productive with 1 button. Maybe 1 button usage has something that I dunno?

    Let's wait for her reply to see why 1 button is better. Maybe I can learn a new trick

  4. #84

    Default Re: Should I get a Mac?

    Quote Originally Posted by Paul_Yeo View Post
    I am using my mac with 2 button mouse for the past 2 years.

    PC apps work fine with 2 button doesn't mean it can be make easier and more productive with 1 button. Maybe 1 button usage has something that I dunno?

    Let's wait for her reply to see why 1 button is better. Maybe I can learn a new trick
    I remember the evolution of the mouse. It came with 2 bottons... then there was 3... But 3 did not catch on... probably because the little finger is too weak to grip the mouse on its own. So we need the 4th finger to help. That leaves us with 2 free fingers to press buttons. After that some bright spark came up with the scroll wheel.

    2 fingers can press at least 2 buttons. So 1 button is a waste. It's just bad design that will disappear with time.

  5. #85
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Cocteau Twins
    Posts
    2,116

    Default Re: Should I get a Mac?

    Quote Originally Posted by nottipiglet View Post
    I did not say that my whole computing mindset is based on having the right mouse button. 1) You said it. I'm just saying that it's not a good design. 2) That's the thing about Mac users. They are so defensive about their Macs. It's almost unbelievable.

    *the rest edited for brevity's sake*
    blah blah blah

    1) i didn't say it, i posed it as a question

    2) i am a Mac user who happens to run Windows on my Mac as well. defensive? why should i defensive when i'm just stating facts. it's true Mac apps run perfectly ok with one-button mouse, so the issue about 2-button mouse is inconsequential. it's not a big deal, period.

    haha, no time to dingding dongdong about this with you. i'm booking in tonight for in-camp~

    so to TS, .... Be a man, do the Right thing (joking)

  6. #86
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Cocteau Twins
    Posts
    2,116

    Default Re: Should I get a Mac?

    Quote Originally Posted by nottipiglet View Post
    That's because you can't load these security stuff in a Mac... They are not available... Which makes it unsuitable for a secure office environment. We have a lot of price sensitive information at work.

    It's not counterproductive. It's a necessary evil. However, my office should have upgraded my PC about a year ago. But that has nothing to do with the Mac vs PC debate.
    are you sure you know what you are talking about? security stuff not available for the Mac?

    just because the majority of home Mac users don't install them doesn't mean they are not available. it doesn't not mean it's not corporate/enterprise friendly either. have you checked out the servers Apple come out with?

    not counterproductive? what are you talking about again? i thought you just said in post #55 that "My PC at work has hung before because those office people loaded it with all sorts of security stuff..."

    so computer hanging is not counterproductive..then what is it?

    look, i've been a Windows user and i've been a Mac user. i may not be expert at both platforms but i've seen for myself what works in which. do me a favour, if you are not familiar with Macs, don't go around making assumptions about the system.

  7. #87
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Cocteau Twins
    Posts
    2,116

    Default Re: Should I get a Mac?

    Quote Originally Posted by nottipiglet View Post
    But why? Most PC apps work perfectly fine with a 2 button operation. So my advise is, get over the 1-button mouse mentality. =)
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul_Yeo View Post
    Can you tell me why I should get over the 2-button mouse mentality? Bcos my Mac comes with a 2button mouse and I find it convenient leh.

    I surf net with only 1 hand, so pressing any combination of keyboard button + mouse-button is a hassle to me.
    haha, ok, let me clarify this.

    when i said get over the one-button mouse mentality, what i was getting at is ... one-button mouse doesn't mean it's any less an effective or practical form of computing. different people different methods. i gave an example of myself getting through the entire photoshop session with a one-button mouse, for example. so get over the mentality that one-button mouse is something "something missing" or bad design etc. and as mentioned, Macs support conventional mice as well, so nobody is missing out on anything.

    that's it gentlemen =)

  8. #88

    Default Re: Should I get a Mac?

    Quote Originally Posted by Stereobox View Post
    are you sure you know what you are talking about? security stuff not available for the Mac?

    just because the majority of home Mac users don't install them doesn't mean they are not available. it doesn't not mean it's not corporate/enterprise friendly either. have you checked out the servers Apple come out with?

    not counterproductive? what are you talking about again? i thought you just said in post #55 that "My PC at work has hung before because those office people loaded it with all sorts of security stuff..."

    so computer hanging is not counterproductive..then what is it?

    look, i've been a Windows user and i've been a Mac user. i may not be expert at both platforms but i've seen for myself what works in which. do me a favour, if you are not familiar with Macs, don't go around making assumptions about the system.
    I think for security what he meant is corporate security such as single-sign on, VPN, SSL, 2-factor, encryption, host IDS, PKI. Correct me if I'm wrong!!

  9. #89

    Default Re: Should I get a Mac?

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Potter View Post
    I think for security what he meant is corporate security such as single-sign on, VPN, SSL, 2-factor, encryption, host IDS, PKI. Correct me if I'm wrong!!
    Corporate security stuff as listed above are available for the Mac. Apple is known to be a company that focuses a lot on corporate security, and they operate a US$20 billion business. What do you think their employees use... PCs?

  10. #90

    Default Re: Should I get a Mac?

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Potter View Post
    I think for security what he meant is corporate security such as single-sign on, VPN, SSL, 2-factor, encryption, host IDS, PKI. Correct me if I'm wrong!!

    Yes... that's what I mean. Plus the HDD has to be encrypted with bootsafe or similar. So people can't get to the information if we lose our laptop.

    As I mentioned... it's not counter productive. They are necessary evils. Not upgrading my laptop is counter-productive. If they did that, my laptop won't hang... but my company has budgeting issues.

    So we see another self-righteous Mac user who thinks the whole IT evaluation process of my company is flawed because I'm not using a Mac at work. Btw... we do have a Mac in my company, for web design, video editing, etc...

    Mac and PCs are good for different things at their various price points. Is that so difficult to understand/accept?
    Last edited by nottipiglet; 29th June 2007 at 09:55 PM.

  11. #91

    Default Re: Should I get a Mac?

    Quote Originally Posted by Stereobox View Post

    so computer hanging is not counterproductive..then what is it?
    Tell my company to upgrade my laptop lor... so it won't hang.

    If my company give me a Mac, I'd use it... but it costs more, and it does not do the work I need to do any better. So why should my company switch to a Mac?

  12. #92

    Default Re: Should I get a Mac?

    Quote Originally Posted by nottipiglet View Post
    Tell my company to upgrade my laptop lor... so it won't hang.

    If my company give me a Mac, I'd use it... but it costs more, and it does not do the work I need to do any better. So why should my company switch to a Mac?
    As the sales people always do, show the customers statistic, papers, MTBF charts, graphs some IT research findings that using Mac has this and that and can increase productivity by X %

  13. #93

    Default Re: Should I get a Mac?

    Quote Originally Posted by Stereobox View Post
    just because the majority of home Mac users don't install them doesn't mean they are not available. it doesn't not mean it's not corporate/enterprise friendly either. have you checked out the servers Apple come out with?
    My company's servers are run in either Windows or Linux. They probably never checked out the Apple servers because those IT boys are not cool?

  14. #94

    Default Re: Should I get a Mac?

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Potter View Post
    As the sales people always do, show the customers statistic, papers, MTBF charts, graphs some IT research findings that using Mac has this and that and can increase productivity by X %
    My productivity probably won't go up... but I can tell my company that I'd look cool with a Mac at the conferences they send me to.

  15. #95

    Default Re: Should I get a Mac?

    Quote Originally Posted by nottipiglet View Post
    My company's servers are run in either Windows or Linux. They probably never checked out the Apple servers because those IT boys are not cool?
    They probably dunno Apple got servers! People in IT usually think of HP, IBM, Dell, Compaq servers first...

  16. #96

    Default Re: Should I get a Mac?

    Quote Originally Posted by waiyean View Post
    Corporate security stuff as listed above are available for the Mac. Apple is known to be a company that focuses a lot on corporate security, and they operate a US$20 billion business. What do you think their employees use... PCs?
    Their own corporate security stuff are obviously available to them at cost price. So that makes the decision simple, right?

  17. #97

    Default Re: Should I get a Mac?

    Quote Originally Posted by nottipiglet View Post
    Their own corporate security stuff are obviously available to them at cost price. So that makes the decision simple, right?
    Apple don't produce security software.
    My point is, such security stuffs are available on Macs.

  18. #98

    Default Re: Should I get a Mac?

    Quote Originally Posted by waiyean View Post
    Apple don't produce security software.
    My point is, such security stuffs are available on Macs.
    No meh? I thought got iFirewall, iPKI, iSSL, iVPN

  19. #99

    Default Re: Should I get a Mac?

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Potter View Post
    No meh? I thought got iFirewall, iPKI, iSSL, iVPN
    Haha, iWish

  20. #100
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Cocteau Twins
    Posts
    2,116

    Default Re: Should I get a Mac?

    zZz

    how many of us have heard this before? someone raises a topic, for example, this one "Have been thinking of getting a Mac? Any strong reasons to move to Mac? Mac users out there, any opinions other than form factor?"

    while the Mac users will be sharing their insights and experience on the platform - afterall, who else would do so - inevitably there will be some guy(s) who have negligible knowledge on the system (aka going into the Apple reseller, touch touch the keyboard, cannot find the right-click button, declares the Mac a frivolous, fanciful computer for act-cool people).

    haha i agree i'm being wu-liao with this post, but i suppose this is the kind of answer that befits some of the posts here.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •