Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Please advice..

  1. #1

    Default Please advice..

    I realised most of the photos taken with my Nikon DSLR camera, I have to go picture project and perform 'enhanced dark tone' and 'auto adjust'. It appears that most of the photo taken have a layer of white flair covering, and not so bright. After performing the 'auto dark tone' and 'auto adjust', the pictures do look much better, more natural, sharper and brighter. Is it because I am not using RAW, but use JPEG instead? Or is it because of lens, camera, filter issue? Or simply photo taking skill issue

    Sincerely appreciate any genuine advices.. thanks a lot!

  2. #2
    Moderator catchlights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Punggol, Singapore
    Posts
    21,902

    Default Re: Please advice..

    Quote Originally Posted by anmas View Post
    I realised most of the photos taken with my Nikon DSLR camera, I have to go picture project and perform 'enhanced dark tone' and 'auto adjust'. It appears that most of the photo taken have a layer of white flair covering, and not so bright. After performing the 'auto dark tone' and 'auto adjust', the pictures do look much better, more natural, sharper and brighter. Is it because I am not using RAW, but use JPEG instead? Or is it because of lens, camera, filter issue? Or simply photo taking skill issue

    Sincerely appreciate any genuine advices.. thanks a lot!
    downsize one original image to show.
    anyway, sometime level need to be adjusted at post production, nothing wrong with you exposure or camera.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

  3. #3

    Default Re: Please advice..

    Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    downsize one original image to show.
    anyway, sometime level need to be adjusted at post production, nothing wrong with you exposure or camera.
    Thanks a lot for your reply catchlights.

    Original Edited

    The original is without any touch-up. Have performed 'auto dark tone' and 'auto adjust' using using Nikon picture perfect on the Edited one.. Think the edited one looks better, but is it possible to get the result with any touch-up on the original?

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Tanjong Katong
    Posts
    3,710

    Default Re: Please advice..

    Quote Originally Posted by anmas View Post
    Thanks a lot for your reply catchlights.

    Original Edited

    The original is without any touch-up. Have performed 'auto dark tone' and 'auto adjust' using using Nikon picture perfect on the Edited one.. Think the edited one looks better, but is it possible to get the result with any touch-up on the original?
    Some nikon dslr allow you to upload custom curve to the camera. It might help to certain level to avoid you to post processing.

    Do search on nikon forum for custom curve. There are plenty of information.

    Regards,
    Arto.

  5. #5

    Default Re: Please advice..

    It's normal. Every digital cameras wont give you the perfect color. They will normally give out some color cast. So have to do color correction, no choice

  6. #6
    Moderator catchlights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Punggol, Singapore
    Posts
    21,902

    Default Re: Please advice..

    the sample pix you post, only need some simple level adjustment, just bring out the white point and black point will do. there is nothing wrong with your camera or your exposure.

    a custom curve will help, and you may try out different type of custom curves to see which one suit your shooting style.

    hope this help.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

  7. #7

    Default Re: Please advice..

    Thanks a lot catchlights, hirowen & artosoft.. feel much better now knowing my camera is functioning normally.

    hirowen: is it only happen in digital cameras, or it can happen for any kind of SLR film camera?

    Don't know what is custom curve, will find out more

    I have never take pics in RAW before.. will taking pics in RAW produce better results than JPEG?

  8. #8

    Default Re: Please advice..

    Yes. Currently, our technology of digital camera still have color cast, just that how bad only.

    RAW will benefits you if you are going to edit your picture in the later stage. It is because raw files does not discard any info before saving, whereas jpg is a compressed image as unwanted info will be discard away before saving so as to save space.

    So if you practice true photography, jpg is already sufficient. I dont think raw produce better quality than jpg before editing.

  9. #9
    Moderator catchlights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Punggol, Singapore
    Posts
    21,902

    Default Re: Please advice..

    Quote Originally Posted by anmas View Post
    Thanks a lot catchlights, hirowen & artosoft.. feel much better now knowing my camera is functioning normally.

    hirowen: is it only happen in digital cameras, or it can happen for any kind of SLR film camera?

    Don't know what is custom curve, will find out more

    I have never take pics in RAW before.. will taking pics in RAW produce better results than JPEG?
    when we shoot film, if it is on negative, the density and color correction or enhancement will be done during printing, since the film is in negative image, we do not know how bad the original exposure and color is.

    if shots are done on transparency film aka slide film, most film are more saturated and vibrant in color then photo prints, so it looks far better, if your exposure is accurate.

    just goolge "Nikon, custom curve" you may able to find lots of info.

    shooting RAW you will need lot of resources, even the straight conversion of jpg from RAW at the post production, the quality are far better than the jpg produce from the camera.

    however, this is really up to individual, ones may not have the time to do the post production, like I'm still shooting jpg for most of the time, as I need to give my clients the images right after the sessions.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

  10. #10

    Default Re: Please advice..

    Thanks catchlights & hirowen again... I've learned more

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •