Thread: night photo with D40kit

Default night photo with D40kit

Dear all D40 users,

Normally to take building at night time , what mode did you select ??? A,P or S mode ?? Any tripods required ?? I am using 18-55mm kit lens now.

I like to take some building along the kallang river near indoor stadium next week.

Thanks for your advise.

Default Re: night photo with D40kit

the fact that u want to take at night, a tripod is not a need, it is a definite item.

u can increase the iso to enable u to take handheld, but the image quality wont be as good.

and further, only with a tripod will u be able to obtain excellent pics of night scene with moving light trails... upping the iso also wont be able to achieve long light trails effect.

and to ur other question, P, or S or A or M mode to use, the answer is: ALL the modes can be used !

After choosing PSA or M, then u adjust the shutter speed, or apeture accordingly to get watever effects u want.
    09 Oct 09 officially marks the date I become a canon convert.

Quote Originally Posted by mousedeer213 View Post
    Dear all D40 users,

Normally to take building at night time , what mode did you select ??? A,P or S mode ?? Any tripods required ?? I am using 18-55mm kit lens now.

I like to take some building along the kallang river near indoor stadium next week.

Thanks for your advise.
    Tripod is a standard item for shooting buildings not matter what time of the day it is if you are seriously into architectural photography because you need to align your camera to the vertical and horizontal lines.

For buildings, the widely adopted method is to use aperture priority mode. Set the aperture accodring to the DOF you want to achieve and let the camera handle the speed for you.

Watch the light. Though its called night photography, last thing you want to do is to shoot your buildings after the sky has turned completely dark, unless you are going for a particular effect.

Quote Originally Posted by mousedeer213 View Post
    Dear all D40 users,

Thanks for your advise.
    if its dark at night, do remember some little tips

1. set the camera to shoot on timer, i.e. 2 seconds timer. this will make sure the camera wont shake when the picture is taken, i.e. shutter is depressed 2 seconds before shooting

2. stable tripod and frame a scene where you might not catch much movement, i.e. people moving, boats moving etc they may affect a building picture.

3. Most of the time shots are either shot in A mode or M mode for night shoots

4. Decide on the ISO you want to shoot at, up to 1600, the d40 delivers quite a decent low noise performance.

5. Check the exposure compensation, is it at 0.0? you can try experimenting raising the exp compensation and i had pleasing results at exposure compensation of +0.7

6. If you want street lights to look like stars, raise the aperture values to 14/16, up to 22 in Aperture mode

7. if its really really really dark, and you cannot auto focus properly, hold the shutter halfway and focus on a brighter distant object beside the building, lock the focus and re-compose before shooting

happy shooting, and do remember to share your shots here
    Last edited by psychobiologist; 25th June 2007 at 12:02 AM.
    chezburgr i can haz?

Quote Originally Posted by psychobiologist View Post
    if its dark at night, do remember some little tips

1. set the camera to shoot on timer, i.e. 2 seconds timer. this will make sure the camera wont shake when the picture is taken, i.e. shutter is depressed 2 seconds before shooting

2. stable tripod and frame a scene where you might not catch much movement, i.e. people moving, boats moving etc they may affect a building picture.

3. Most of the time shots are either shot in A mode or M mode for night shoots

4. Decide on the ISO you want to shoot at, up to 1600, the d40 delivers quite a decent low noise performance.

5. Check the exposure compensation, is it at 0.0? you can try experimenting raising the exp compensation and i had pleasing results at exposure compensation of +0.7

6. If you want street lights to look like stars, raise the aperture values to 14/16, up to 22 in Aperture mode

7. if its really really really dark, and you cannot auto focus properly, hold the shutter halfway and focus on a brighter distant object beside the building, lock the focus and re-compose before shooting

happy shooting, and do remember to share your shots here
    To add on, you could also use mirror-lockup. Reduces the shake caused when the mirror swings upwards.