Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 26

Thread: how far have camera phones gone?

  1. #1

    Default how far have camera phones gone?

    how far have they gone in your opinion? with reference to the average PnS consumer camera.. do you think they can produce considerable image quality nowadays? just realise some of them even using the same lens as my sony W1 ( vario tessar lens ).. then with all the functions like AF,xenon flash,manual settings etc etc.. do u think its time for camera phones to take over as "entry level cameras"?

  2. #2

    Default Re: how far have camera phones gone?

    Far enough, but no where near enough
    deadpoet
    my portfolio

  3. #3

    Default Re: how far have camera phones gone?

    well, if prininting 3R pics, i think it is close enough.

  4. #4

    Default Re: how far have camera phones gone?

    My N73 boast a 3.2mp camera with carl zeiss lens. The image turns out grainy and really looks like a picture taken from a webcam. Even pictures taken outdoors don't look sharp.

  5. #5

    Default Re: how far have camera phones gone?

    Quote Originally Posted by Siraj View Post
    My N73 boast a 3.2mp camera with carl zeiss lens. The image turns out grainy and really looks like a picture taken from a webcam. Even pictures taken outdoors don't look sharp.
    must be a lemon.

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    The Guilin of Spore
    Posts
    381

    Default Re: how far have camera phones gone?

    Quote Originally Posted by savager View Post
    how far have they gone in your opinion? with reference to the average PnS consumer camera.. do you think they can produce considerable image quality nowadays? just realise some of them even using the same lens as my sony W1 ( vario tessar lens ).. then with all the functions like AF,xenon flash,manual settings etc etc.. do u think its time for camera phones to take over as "entry level cameras"?
    It depends on the users' needs

    If u notice, most of these phones dun have optical or features like Aperture Priority or Shutter Priority. SO to say, when it comes to creativity shooting, these hp cam might not do much into that field.

    For snap shots, they serve quite well in fact. Esp the iMobile phone....kinda impressed with the quality

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    State of Confusion
    Posts
    2,196

    Default Re: how far have camera phones gone?

    2 years ago, mobile phonecams were crap. Now, SE's K750i and K800i phones are pretty darn good. Good enough for 4R holiday snapshots. I think give another 2 years and phonecams could actually match regular digi-compacts

    but,

    only in terms of image quality (maybe). In terms of usability, accessibility of functions, etc, there'll always be a compromise, so it'll probably not replace a camera on its own. Then again, never say never. Not long ago, nobody wanted to touch one of those All-In-One scanner/printer/fax/copier set ups. Now, stand-alone scanners are starting to get a little hard to find.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    2,256

    Default Re: how far have camera phones gone?

    the japanese had led the mobilefone industry with their phone designs and technology.

    those days when phones were touting 1.0megapixel etc in sg, i already had a copy of sharp's 903sh at 3.2mp, 2x optical zoom and autofocus which i'm still using today after a couple of years.

    the i-mobile 902 produces superb shots too if you've been following digidub's posts.
    Last edited by psychobiologist; 24th June 2007 at 04:05 PM.
    chezburgr i can haz?

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Kangkar
    Posts
    30

    Default Re: how far have camera phones gone?

    I'm using N95 that has 5mp with carl zeiss lens. Good for emergency or ad hoc use (you don't carry a camera around everyday wherever you go). Very slow in between take, thus no good for activity.

  10. #10

    Default Re: how far have camera phones gone?

    let me go onthe limb here. Cameras on phones are crap, junk, just another thing I rarely use. Bear in mind, it does has its usefullness, but as a replacement for our camera, not for a long while.

    Advancement in camera phone has been there, but meanwhile, are the PnS taking a nap, like the hare waiting for the turtoise? Think not. Btw, it's not jsut reslution and mega pixel that gives a god picture.

    Let's see what is missing on most camera phone. Focusing - most phone I believe have fix focus lens, and lets fix this one first before we talk.
    deadpoet
    my portfolio

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    BEHIND YOU!!!!!!
    Posts
    678

    Default Re: how far have camera phones gone?

    My 2 years old vodafone 903sh good enough for emergency shoot
    No wonder phone of the year 2x

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Dreamy Nikon Land
    Posts
    2,874

    Default Re: how far have camera phones gone?

    Eeh, you promoting the Exotic-Phones Usergroup ar. ;-p
    Andy Ang :lovegrin: - "A Photo speaks a thousand words. Have you spoken today?"
    APAD | Blog

  13. #13

    Default Re: how far have camera phones gone?

    My k800 is useful for occational snaps and useful when i dont want to lug my dslr around
    Furry Photos - Photography for the Modern Pet

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Dry cabinet!
    Posts
    1,757

    Cool Re: how far have camera phones gone?

    Soon image stablization will be added to phones.
    Then sensor size increased giving better noise performance.
    Next we can mount external flash & add converters (wide angle/tele/macro).
    Pretty soon can change lens

  15. #15

    Default Re: how far have camera phones gone?

    Quote Originally Posted by Deadpoet View Post
    Let's see what is missing on most camera phone. Focusing - most phone I believe have fix focus lens, and lets fix this one first before we talk.
    Many new phones have AF camera modules. Those that I know.. SE K800i, N73, O2 XDA Flame and many more.. I'm impressed with the images shot by one of the iMobile phones showcased in another thread!
    http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=290417
    Last edited by lsisaxon; 26th June 2007 at 02:17 PM.

  16. #16

    Default Re: how far have camera phones gone?

    I am still not impressed. For convienence, for the reason of it's better to have a camera than not, it wins hands down. And that is about all.

    I am sure at some point in time, the quality of the images will improve, if it gets to a point that can stand sid by side with a good consumer PnS, then I will be sold. Right now, it's just another thing that can break.
    deadpoet
    my portfolio

  17. #17

    Default Re: how far have camera phones gone?

    Quote Originally Posted by Deadpoet View Post
    I am still not impressed. For convienence, for the reason of it's better to have a camera than not, it wins hands down. And that is about all.

    I am sure at some point in time, the quality of the images will improve, if it gets to a point that can stand sid by side with a good consumer PnS, then I will be sold. Right now, it's just another thing that can break.
    There are times when I really feel, "Dr@ts! I wish I brought my camera!"

  18. #18

    Default Re: how far have camera phones gone?

    and soon.... camera have phone function... gprs build-in
    touch screen surf net...

  19. #19

    Default Re: how far have camera phones gone?

    Quote Originally Posted by chenwenke View Post
    and soon.... camera have phone function... gprs build-in
    touch screen surf net...
    Yeah.. There are already models with WiFi and GPS.

  20. #20
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    BEHIND YOU!!!!!!
    Posts
    678

    Default Re: how far have camera phones gone?

    Quote Originally Posted by Andy Ang View Post
    Eeh, you promoting the Exotic-Phones Usergroup ar. ;-p
    caught by U
    u alos one of the exotic phoney user?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •