Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Lens

  1. #1

    Default Lens

    My type of photography is portrait, group of people.
    What kind of lens should I have?
    If I get zoom lens w/ f/2.8, what is focal length should I get?
    Currently I have 50mm f/1.8.

    thanks.

  2. #2
    Member fv18m's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    North of S'pore
    Posts
    410

    Default Re: Lens

    The way I see it - 28-70mm then again, 50mm is quite sufficient. If you'd like another prime, maybe can consider the 35mm
    The DIFFERENCE is not in the "Cue", it is in the SKILLS...

  3. #3

  4. #4

    Default Re: Lens

    budget?
    If money is no object, get the widest zoom for your camera brand
    Typical wide zooms 10-22, 12-24, 16-35.
    Work: PicasaWeb | Play: Animus3 | Mobile: Tumblr

  5. #5

    Default Re: Lens

    assuming u use a 1.5/1.6 crop body, something like a 17-55 would be suitable. anything more tele is likely to be difficult when shooting in more confined spaces i.e. restaurant. A wide prime like a 20f2.8 would also be good.

    u could consider the 12-24 n such to, although these aren's f2.8

  6. #6
    Senior Member yyD70S's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    2,454

    Default Re: Lens

    Looks like you have threads in the Nikon forum...

    so...

    either the AF-S DX 17-55mm f/2.8G IF-ED or / and

    AF-S 28-70mm f/2.8D IF-ED

    for potrait, group of people.

    Although for your "group of people" requirement, if you are using a digital SLR, the 17-55mm would be a better choice.

    Don't discount the AF-S 17-35mm f/2.8D IF-ED though.



    Quote Originally Posted by rodel View Post
    My type of photography is portrait, group of people.
    What kind of lens should I have?
    If I get zoom lens w/ f/2.8, what is focal length should I get?
    Currently I have 50mm f/1.8.

    thanks.
    Last edited by yyD70S; 23rd June 2007 at 11:01 AM. Reason: AF-S 17-35mm f/2.8D IF-ED

  7. #7

    Default Re: Lens

    Quote Originally Posted by fv18m View Post
    The way I see it - 28-70mm then again, 50mm is quite sufficient. If you'd like another prime, maybe can consider the 35mm
    i have been considering that 35 mm.
    changing lens is only my concern.

  8. #8
    Senior Member zac08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    East
    Posts
    11,755

    Default Re: Lens

    Quote Originally Posted by rodel View Post
    i have been considering that 35 mm.
    changing lens is only my concern.
    Why should it be a concern? You're using a SLR, you're meant to be using multiple lenses.
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

  9. #9

    Default Re: Lens

    Quote Originally Posted by zac08 View Post
    Why should it be a concern? You're using a SLR, you're meant to be using multiple lenses.
    lazy to change lens.......

  10. #10
    Senior Member zac08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    East
    Posts
    11,755

    Default Re: Lens

    Quote Originally Posted by rodel View Post
    lazy to change lens.......
    Well, in that case, nothing to say....
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

  11. #11

    Default Re: Lens

    sometime when in a rush..its just so "zzz" to change lens.

  12. #12

    Default Re: Lens

    Quote Originally Posted by yyD70S View Post
    Looks like you have threads in the Nikon forum...

    so...

    either the AF-S DX 17-55mm f/2.8G IF-ED or / and

    AF-S 28-70mm f/2.8D IF-ED

    for potrait, group of people.

    Although for your "group of people" requirement, if you are using a digital SLR, the 17-55mm would be a better choice.

    Don't discount the AF-S 17-35mm f/2.8D IF-ED though.
    for portraits, which range is recommendable 17-55 or 28-70.

  13. #13

    Default Re: Lens

    For portriats... I recommend Tokina 50-135 f/2.8 DX... IMO... it's the perfect range for portraits. But it may be a little tight for group shots.

    BC

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •