Thread: Will DSLR decarease the effect of a fisheye lens?

Default Will DSLR decarease the effect of a fisheye lens?

I was jus wondering whether will a fisheye lens be not so "fisheyed" because most DSLR got a focal length multiplier since only the a certain portion of the lens is used.

yes it will..

yes he's right..

Default Re: Will DSLR decarease the effect of a fisheye lens?

Originally posted by sweat100
    I was jus wondering whether will a fisheye lens be not so "fisheyed" because most DSLR got a focal length multiplier since only the a certain portion of the lens is used.
    Depends on the DSLR

In the case of DSLR's with sensors that are smaller than the size of a 35mm frame (eg Nikon D1x, D1 etc) then there's a very noticable reduction in the effect of the fisheye lens.

In the case of full frame DSLR's eg: Kodak DCS14n a fisheye lens will work as per normal.
    The Ang Moh from Hell
    Professional Photography - many are called, few are chosen!

As YSLee said, with a DSLR that has a "focal length multiplier" (more accurately, a cropping factor), a fisheye looks more like a wide angle lens with bad barrel distortion.

Of course, you can always post-process with Panotools to get MORE of the fisheye effect, or make it a rectilinear lens.

Originally posted by StreetShooter
    As YSLee said, with a DSLR that has a "focal length multiplier" (more accurately, a cropping factor), a fisheye looks more like a wide angle lens with bad barrel distortion.
    Eh. That sounds suspiciously like what I said to him!

Since most DSLR except the 14n and 1Ds, we can afford to use cheaper lenses is it? This is because cheaper lenses usually exhibit optical errors at the edges. At the middle portion, its quite alright.

Originally posted by Jed
    Eh. That sounds suspiciously like what I said to him!
    Oh well, I probably misquoted.