Thread: Iraqi Photo: The tale of one (actually two) photo.

Default Iraqi Photo: The tale of one (actually two) photo.

I hope this hasnt been posted here...
    --

On Monday, March 31, the Los Angeles Times published a front-page photograph that had been altered in violation of Times policy.

The primary subject of the photo was a British soldier directing Iraqi civilians to take cover from Iraqi fire on the outskirts of Basra. After publication, it was noticed that several civilians in the background appear twice. The photographer, Brian Walski, reached by telephone in southern Iraq, acknowledged that he had used his computer to combine elements of two photographs, taken moments apart, in order to improve the composition.

Times policy forbids altering the content of news photographs. Because of the violation, Walski, a Times photographer since 1998, has been dismissed from the staff. The altered photo, along with the two photos that were used to produce it, are below:

http://www.latimes.com/news/custom/s...te_blurb.blurb
    Illumn|Facebook| Canon 5D Mark II | 16-35mm 2.8L | 24-70mm f2.8L | 85mm 1.8 | Strobist

Default Re: Iraqi Photo: The tale of one (actually two) photo.

Originally posted by quackaroo
    I hope this hasnt been posted here...
    --

On Monday, March 31, the Los Angeles Times published a front-page photograph that had been altered in violation of Times policy.

The primary subject of the photo was a British soldier directing Iraqi civilians to take cover from Iraqi fire on the outskirts of Basra. After publication, it was noticed that several civilians in the background appear twice. The photographer, Brian Walski, reached by telephone in southern Iraq, acknowledged that he had used his computer to combine elements of two photographs, taken moments apart, in order to improve the composition.

Times policy forbids altering the content of news photographs. Because of the violation, Walski, a Times photographer since 1998, has been dismissed from the staff. The altered photo, along with the two photos that were used to produce it, are below:

http://www.latimes.com/news/custom/s...te_blurb.blurb
    High Tech but not true.......this is why i always dun trust digital image.

This is a good example of a digital manipulation gone bad. I wonder did the phographer told the LA times editor that he manipulated the picture before anyone find out.

yup, saw it this morning, tempted to add to the thread on how much can you tolerate digital editing of photos ......