Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Which filter to choose?

Default Re: Which filter to choose?

Quote Originally Posted by kelccm View Post
    A poor quality filter might introduce flare. Vignetting is caused by the thickness of the filter ring.
    Flare yes. Even with lens hood but is that normal in a night shooting where there are lights all around (i.e. carnival) ?

and yes, does the HMC of Hoya's make any major diff as campared to standard UVs?

For now i'll select B+W for all my filters. I got a Hoya SHMC for my S5 IS cos at the time i bought the converter lens adapter, most shops are already closed including CP.
    Canon EOS 5D, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 50 f/1.2 L, 70-300 f/4-5.6 L IS, 600EX-RT. Sigma 12-24 f/4.5-5.6 EX.

i use tokina UV filter for my lens, pictures turn out fine. no problem for me =)

Quote Originally Posted by xunjas View Post
    i use tokina UV filter for my lens, pictures turn out fine. no problem for me =)
    Stray lights at the wrong angle, place and time can cause flare. Even the best coatings can only minimise, not eliminate completely.

Quote Originally Posted by ipin View Post
    Stray lights at the wrong angle, place and time can cause flare. Even the best coatings can only minimise, not eliminate completely.
    thanks for the tip. i find a challenge to shoot w/o flash in low light conditions i cant shoot holding the cam. luckily there is tripod n remote control. =)

Quote Originally Posted by xunjas View Post
    thanks for the tip. i find a challenge to shoot w/o flash in low light conditions i cant shoot holding the cam. luckily there is tripod n remote control. =)
    what does this have to do with filter?

Now you guys have poisoned me
    Where and how much will it set me back for the B+W filter if I were to get a 58mm?

It is possible to get the 58mm MRC 010M UV-HAZE F-PRO online at around SGD50 or less.

I am trying to get the 72mm MRC KSM CPL and the 72mm MRC 010M UV-HAZE F-PRO and the total cost around SGD250.
    Last edited by Randius; 6th July 2007 at 09:51 AM.

B+W surfaces very easy to clean, Nikon filters not so much, never tried the rest.

Initially with all the protective filters talk i got abit hung up and got my lenses Nikon NC filters.

Then after that since it is not really desirable to have more glass elements infront anyway, i got abit hung up and i started having a habit of taking them off when shooting then putting them on ( for my 70-200 ) again when walkin ard. then it became ley chey so i just take them off..

Nowadays when i go shooting insects i just bring along my lens cleaner

Ryan

Quote Originally Posted by Randius View Post
    It is possible to get the 58mm MRC 010M UV-HAZE F-PRO online at around SGD50 or less.

I am trying to get the 72mm MRC KSM CPL and the 72mm MRC 010M UV-HAZE F-PRO and the total cost around SGD250.
    I always wonder what additional benefit you get out of the Kaesemann version since it is supposed to be edged sealed and more resistant to harsh climates to prevent foil seperation compared to the usual MRC cousins.

But B+W good stuffs no worries

Ryan

Well, if I can get the KSM version online at the price I am paying for just the MRC version here, why not? And who knows if one day I will be crazy enough to go to one of those "harsh climate" places?

Yes, B+W is worth every cent

Quote Originally Posted by Randius View Post
    Well, if I can get the KSM version online at the price I am paying for just the MRC version here, why not? And who knows if one day I will be crazy enough to go to one of those "harsh climate" places?

Yes, B+W is worth every cent

Kudos then go for it
    Wa really so expensive the mrc version here meh. I got an MRC early tis yr from Cathay. But i bought several items as well and they gave me abit of discount and saved me the hassle of online transactions. i calculated the KSM version after shipping here is actually still more pricey than the mrc alone. I got hold of Nikon CPL II filters and they are pretty good as well. i got no excuse to get the KSM liao haha.

Cheers
    Ryan

B+W filters easy to maintain

Will call MS Color to check for pricing this weekend

Quote Originally Posted by roadrunner_552 View Post
    B+W filters easy to maintain
    I strongly second that.
    Canon EOS 5D, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 50 f/1.2 L, 70-300 f/4-5.6 L IS, 600EX-RT. Sigma 12-24 f/4.5-5.6 EX.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12