Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which filter to choose?

Default Which filter to choose?

I am getting a filter for my lense to protect the lense from damage. Should I choose get a UV or a clear filter to make sure my image stays original as b4?
    Any suggestions where to get such filters cheap? I heard that Hoya have cheap and affordable filters.

Default Re: Which filter to choose?

Quote Originally Posted by plasma View Post
    I am getting a filter for my lense to protect the lense from damage. Should I choose get a UV or a clear filter to make sure my image stays original as b4?
    Any suggestions where to get such filters cheap? I heard that Hoya have cheap and affordable filters.
    A UV filter will do. Hoya/Tokina and a few others are cheap. Go to MS Color, TCW (the camera workshop), cathay photo, tk photo, alan photo, etc...

While B+W UV MRC filter is more expensive, the superior MRC coating will surely win over hoya filter. If you have both, you can try to clean both and you know what I mean.

Now I have all my lenses with B+W UV MRC filter.

Beside filter, lens hood also help you to protect your lens' front element and from flare.

Regards,
    Arto.

just to check which filter shld i get for the nikon 18-200mm VR lens?

my preferred brand in descending order :

B+W
    72mm MRC UV-Haze - $90 CP, $85 MS(Feb 07)
    72mm CPL MRC - $180 CP
    72mm CPL Slim MRC - $200 CP

Nikon
    72mm NC - $89 (Lords) $76 (OP)
    72mm NC Filter - $98 (Max Photo)

*taken from http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=263716
    Nothing2C
    Nikon [D300, MB-D10, D80, Trinity, 85/1.4, 50/1.4, 18-200, SB-800]

I use Nikon's NC filters for all of my lenses.

一分钱一分货. Me too, B+W for all my lenses. Nothing beats B+W. They're so easy to clean!

Quote Originally Posted by Artosoft View Post
    While B+W UV MRC filter is more expensive, the superior MRC coating will surely win over hoya filter. If you have both, you can try to clean both and you know what I mean.

Beside filter, lens hood also help you to protect your lens' front element and from flare.

Regards,
    Arto.

Regards,
    Arto.
    Yeah i strongly agree with u on the cleaning part. Hoya filters when cleaned, seems to get more marks and takes a long time to clean them evenly again. B+W wise, just as simple as wiping it off.
    Canon EOS 5D, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 50 f/1.2 L, 70-300 f/4-5.6 L IS, 600EX-RT. Sigma 12-24 f/4.5-5.6 EX.

I used to use Hoya filters. Now it is B+W. It is very easy to clean as many users had already shared their experience. But it is more ex compared to Hoya.

Quote Originally Posted by darker View Post
    I used to use Hoya filters. Now it is B+W. It is very easy to clean as many users had already shared their experience. But it is more ex compared to Hoya.
    I don't mind paying more for B+W.
    Canon EOS 5D, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 50 f/1.2 L, 70-300 f/4-5.6 L IS, 600EX-RT. Sigma 12-24 f/4.5-5.6 EX.

Quote Originally Posted by cryder View Post
    just to check which filter shld i get for the nikon 18-200mm VR lens?

my preferred brand in descending order :

B+W
    72mm MRC UV-Haze - $90 CP, $85 MS(Feb 07)
    72mm CPL MRC - $180 CP
    72mm CPL Slim MRC - $200 CP

Nikon
    72mm NC - $89 (Lords) $76 (OP)
    72mm NC Filter - $98 (Max Photo)

*taken from http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=263716

CPL are not meant to be put on as protective filter as it cuts down light by stops.

put it simply, a protective filter should be as clear as possible to avoid decreasing optical sharpness and color cast. in terms of protection itself, all of them works. but in terms of cleaning/durability and optical clarity, there are differences.

B+W are definitely easier to clean than hoya. NC is in between with plenty of nikon supporters too.

optical sharpness is, in term of photography, not the most crucial part, especially to newbies becos unsharpness due to many other reasons are more often the case. you do need to think about this when you are pretty satisfied with your compositional, focusing and metering skills, that optical sharpness becomes then a top priority. besides, if you handle the filter frequently enough, eventually the filter can be dirty and optical sharpness may not differ so much between brands.

for short term usage and tries, hoya will do. for long term usage, the better filters are better becos UV filters tend not to be removed and does not get dirty like the rectangular filters or other secondary rounded filters. and with good easy cleaning and/or resistance to scratch, UV filter can serve a long time.

B+W.

something different, Marumi ... if you don mind geting them from ebay. they cost less than 1/2 of B+W equiv even with shipping.

Regards,
    Arto.
    Quote Originally Posted by Snoweagle View Post
    I don't mind paying more for B+W.
    That's the 1 & only coz ( how many ppl have try this) place this & other make filter side-by-side(in fact ring touching each other with fabric that got fine-textured & stare hard thru the 2 different brands filter very very carefully=chances are you'll likely to see the diff ok)

Btw, my discovery was in terms of "clarity" looking thru B+W's filter is when compared. I've even done this using my Lowepro-bag outer-fabric material=Note, must look thru very carefully+at diff angle to get the result(this is based on my encounter).

Just for sharing
    Anything that can take pictures...happy already lor...(..but...Hasselblad_H5D-50 as my Workhorse)

i would choose B+W due its good quality of the material =) i read about their production process and the material used. very impressive.

Some qns for u guys...

Does poor quality UV filter causing problems like vignetting?

Wat other implications can we expect if we use poor quality ones?

Lastly, if i intend to get Hoya UV 55mm and my budget can be around $30, wat is recommended?

Thanks

Regards,
    Arto.
    i jsut got a hoya 67mm uv filter last night at $42

anyway, something to ask, i thought B+W is shortform of black plus white, so it is a brand name? how do pp normally call it? B "and" W? or B "plus" W?

Quote Originally Posted by cjl View Post
    Some qns for u guys...

Does poor quality UV filter causing problems like vignetting?

Wat other implications can we expect if we use poor quality ones?

Lastly, if i intend to get Hoya UV 55mm and my budget can be around $30, wat is recommended?

Thanks
    Don't think a poor quality filter would cause vignetting, but I've seen cases of ghostings.

Quote Originally Posted by ipin View Post
    Don't think a poor quality filter would cause vignetting, but I've seen cases of ghostings.
    A poor quality filter might introduce flare. Vignetting is caused by the thickness of the filter ring.
    Canon 80D|Panasonic LX3/LX5
    35f2 IS|50f1.8|85f1.8|12-24f4|18-135f4-5.6 IS|28-75f2.8

Quote Originally Posted by averynkh View Post
    i jsut got a hoya 67mm uv filter last night at $42

anyway, something to ask, i thought B+W is shortform of black plus white, so it is a brand name? how do pp normally call it? B "and" W? or B "plus" W?
    B+W is a brand.

B&W or B/W is often used as a short form of black and white.
    Canon 80D|Panasonic LX3/LX5
    35f2 IS|50f1.8|85f1.8|12-24f4|18-135f4-5.6 IS|28-75f2.8

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast