Thread: how do you carry your tripod.. and ballhead..

Default how do you carry your tripod.. and ballhead..

was wondering how the guys over here carry their tripods + ballhead/3 way pan..

do you carry it attached? seperated?

on a sling? in a bag?

Default Re: how do you carry your tripod.. and ballhead..

usually just hook it to my crumpler bag,

When I had a pan head one of the handles was detached and screwed into the other one, then folded down flush to the tripod legs (Slik's design, don't know if other manufacturers do this). Now with a ballhead, I don't see the point of taking out anything.. I hook one of the legs onto my bag (Nikon Domke-like bag) strap. I'll probably get a proper canvas bag for it soon though.

Anyway, quick question, do you guys leave the QR plates on the camera body?

Quote Originally Posted by jmmtn4aj View Post
    When I had a pan head one of the handles was detached and screwed into the other one, then folded down flush to the tripod legs (Slik's design, don't know if other manufacturers do this). Now with a ballhead, I don't see the point of taking out anything.. I hook one of the legs onto my bag (Nikon Domke-like bag) strap. I'll probably get a proper canvas bag for it soon though.

Anyway, quick question, do you guys leave the QR plates on the camera body?
    hmm...usually i will carry tripod with QR plate when i start out the day..but once i use tripod for one shot, i will just keep the QR plate on the camera itself..lecey to remove

Just gotten a tripod strap. It feels better with the tripod strap than the tripod bag, but of course no cover.

strap around the ballhead area won't 'spoil' the ballhead?

i'm kinda like jkaiser.. start the day with the QR plate on the tripod.. after that.. will just leave it coz too lazy..

got one of those DIY tripod straps but the optech ones look a lil more comfortable.. any experiences?

am using the optech ones, very comfy.
    hardly feel the weight and the padding helps a lot.

I use a sling also. It's faster to setup a tpod in a sling than a tpod inside a bag .

I use this :

Quote Originally Posted by ipin View Post
    I use this :

You must have one monster of a tripod to need two shoulder straps Isn't it cumbersome? Like having to remove the camera bag (because the strap is over the shoulder strap of the tripod bag) first before you can remove your tripod, or not being able to sling your camera bag on your back..

tied to your backpack.. or handcarry.

Quote Originally Posted by cantaresg View Post
    Just gotten a tripod strap. It feels better with the tripod strap than the tripod bag, but of course no cover.
    I second that. Ever since I've gotten a tripod strap, I have never looked back..
    When I do right, no one remembers. When I do wrong, no one ever forgets.

Just sling over my shoulder with gimbal, camera, lens and flash bracket and flash attached when out shooting. Transporting... either dump in car boot or strap to backpack (gimbal and other gears detached of course).

Pictures always should have a special story behind it or a special meaning to the photographer.

Good job hitman, that was perfect.

ahh so swashbuckler is the name.. haha..
    love it.. feel like carrying a 'sword' with me ..

i only use tripod bag when travelling..ie. not shooting... once like i leave my house or hotel to shoot for the day, just remove strap from bag, it attaches nicely to tripod. Very easy to deploy quickly, the downside is that tripod's more susceptible to knocks n scratches..as seen on my ballhead..some paint chipped off here n there.. but i think so long as u never slam against anything, it's ok...

Quote Originally Posted by jmmtn4aj View Post
    You must have one monster of a tripod to need two shoulder straps Isn't it cumbersome? Like having to remove the camera bag (because the strap is over the shoulder strap of the tripod bag) first before you can remove your tripod, or not being able to sling your camera bag on your back..
    I really appreciate the twin straps esp when I'm lugging a tripod over some distance. They really distribute the weight.

Also to protect the tripod and the attached head.

I tried a strap and the tripod was constantly hitting me.

Tried to attach it to the camera bag, but it was swinging and throwing the weight around, hindering my movement.

Found this bag, and it solved all of my problems. For me, if I bring my tripod out, means I would have the time and luxury to deploy the tripod, means I would have time to take it out of the bag. This combination of tripod bag and a shoulder camera bag doesn't oppose to my style of transporting my gear and shooting. Leaving both my hands free to get the job done.