Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 401 Cases of dengue last week!

Default 401 Cases of dengue last week!

Despite NEA's persistent attempts to curb mozzie breeding grounds, dengue cases are still rising...

I really wonder, if anyone can prove that the majority of mozzies found are bred through housing estates, or through public areas such as parks, drains, etc...

I feel that their emphasis is too much on the housing areas but nothing much is really done about the public areas.

A friend of mine suggested we should breed more spiders to catch the mozzies

Default Re: 401 Cases of dengue last week!

Quote Originally Posted by m00nman26 View Post
    Increasing the population of one creature to counter the effects of another almost always results in problems.

Arrow Re: 401 Cases of dengue last week!

You'll be amazed that people are breeding mosquitoes in their flat.

For example, some people will use their toilet as an extra store room and you can find the larvae in the toilet bowl and cistern.

Flower vase, the larvae sticks on the flower stalk and you can't really see it.

Some people deliberately grow larvae to feed their pet fish or bird.

HTH.
    Last edited by xtemujin; 20th June 2007 at 09:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by xtemujin View Post
    You'll be amazed that people are breeding mosquitoes in their flat.

For example, some people will use their toilet as an extra store room and you can find the larvae in the toilet bowl and cistern.

Flower vase, the larvae sticks on the flower stalk and you can't really see it.

Some people deliberately grow larvae to feed their pet fish or bird.

HTH.
    Hmm that must be really a minority.
    However, is there really means to discover where the majority of mozzie breeding comes from i wonder.

You'd be surprised at the kind of places you can find mosquitoes breeding in urban areas. Certainly not confined to indoors alone, but areas outside and around the buildings as well. Drains, drain covers, hollows in trees, large leaves capable of collecting water are only a few examples.

Actually there are far more mosquitoes inside forested areas, parks and open fields surrounded by trees and shrubs. However, one important factor is that the Aedes mosquitoes which spread dengue do not usually range far from their usual resting places in search of a "blood meal"; they usually stay and bite people within the vicinity and are quite "lazy" mosquitoes. So there isn't much of a risk in mosquitoes carrying dengue in from such areas and spreading because such mosquitoes are very unlikely to have been exposed to the dengue virus. On the other hand, those in urban areas (especially inside an active "cluster") have quite a high chance of being exposed to the virus (by first biting infected people).

Another thing is that there are two local Aedes species, Aedes aegypti and Aedes albopictus. THe former is proven to be the main vector in Singapore, while Aedes albopictus is the secondary vector and not nearly as dangerous. It usually breeds outdoors, while Aedes aegypti breeds mainly in confined indoor areas.

That's why efforts to eradicate them have to start within housing areas.

Could it be that our immune system getting weaker? maybe that's why we are overwhelmed by all these diseases.

Quote Originally Posted by Lenscapes View Post
    Could it be that our immune system getting weaker? maybe that's why we are overwhelmed by all these diseases.
    Of course. The dilemma faced by health care organizations around the world is how severely should they treat virulent strains, because if you treat them too successfully, the immune system becomes overly defenseless against mutations of that strain.

Quote Originally Posted by vespa_bicolor View Post
    You'd be surprised at the kind of places you can find mosquitoes breeding in urban areas. Certainly not confined to indoors alone, but areas outside and around the buildings as well. Drains, drain covers, hollows in trees, large leaves capable of collecting water are only a few examples.

Actually there are far more mosquitoes inside forested areas, parks and open fields surrounded by trees and shrubs. However, one important factor is that the Aedes mosquitoes which spread dengue do not usually range far from their usual resting places in search of a "blood meal"; they usually stay and bite people within the vicinity and are quite "lazy" mosquitoes. So there isn't much of a risk in mosquitoes carrying dengue in from such areas and spreading because such mosquitoes are very unlikely to have been exposed to the dengue virus. On the other hand, those in urban areas (especially inside an active "cluster") have quite a high chance of being exposed to the virus (by first biting infected people).

Another thing is that there are two local Aedes species, Aedes aegypti and Aedes albopictus. THe former is proven to be the main vector in Singapore, while Aedes albopictus is the secondary vector and not nearly as dangerous. It usually breeds outdoors, while Aedes aegypti breeds mainly in confined indoor areas.

That's why efforts to eradicate them have to start within housing areas.
    icic.. thx for the insight

icic.. thx for the insight
    Most welcome, hehe!

Here's something to share. Well I took a risk for this shot... but anyway this is Aedes albopictus, which is far less likely to carry dengue.

Quote Originally Posted by vespa_bicolor View Post
    Most welcome, hehe!

Here's something to share. Well I took a risk for this shot... but anyway this is Aedes albopictus, which is far less likely to carry dengue.

cool
    Is that your skin??

cool
    Is that your skin??
    so hairy....
    爱是要时间慢慢培养的。。

Despite NEA's persistent attempts to curb mozzie breeding grounds, dengue cases are still rising...

I really wonder, if anyone can prove that the majority of mozzies found are bred through housing estates, or through public areas such as parks, drains, etc...

I feel that their emphasis is too much on the housing areas but nothing much is really done about the public areas.

jus a thought, why so many cases in a clean environment like SG ? if u look at Malaysia's kampong areas, those children running half naked, barefoot, played in the rain ! and for sure many mosquitos.. but why no massive outbreaks like ours ?

could it be the immune system of city dwellers are weaker than them ?

Ivana: You are hairy, like animal!
    Austin Powers/ Vespa: Grr, baby. VERY grr!

Quote Originally Posted by raincool2005 View Post
    jus a thought, why so many cases in a clean environment like SG ? if u look at Malaysia's kampong areas, those children running half naked, barefoot, played in the rain ! and for sure many mosquitos.. but why no massive outbreaks like ours ?

could it be the immune system of city dwellers are weaker than them ?

http://www.flutrackers.com/forum/showthread.php?p=85480

Parliamentary-secretary to the Health Ministry Datuk Lee Kah Choon said the number of suspected dengue cases in the country remained on the "high side" at around 900 each week.
    Hmm?

Just because you haven't heard about it doesn't mean it hasn't happened, so don't assume.

Quote Originally Posted by jmmtn4aj View Post
    http://www.flutrackers.com/forum/showthread.php?p=85480

Hmm?

Just because you haven't heard about it doesn't mean it hasn't happened, so don't assume.
    oh dear.. then how ? eat more vitamin C ?

Quote Originally Posted by jmmtn4aj View Post
    Increasing the population of one creature to counter the effects of another almost always results in problems.
    Like crows in Malaysia and cane toads in Australia.
    Both imported to get rid of pests in plantations, but themselves becoming pests once arrived!

Buy a bottle of mortel which carries the electric plug and refill. It effectively keeps away the mosquitoes for two straight months! I was only bitten in the area without it!

Quote Originally Posted by tokrot View Post
    Buy a bottle of mortel which carries the electric plug and refill. It effectively keeps away the mosquitoes for two straight months! I was only bitten in the area without it!
    Hmm whats mortel pardon my ignorance here

Quote Originally Posted by raincool2005 View Post
    oh dear.. then how ? eat more vitamin C ?
    Donate blood. Dengue patients are in need of platelet transfusion and our national bloodstock is low now.
    Give Blood. Give Life.
    When I do right, no one remembers. When I do wrong, no one ever forgets.

Thumbs up Re: 401 Cases of dengue last week!

Hmm whats mortel pardon my ignorance here
    Sorry it's Mortein. It uses special liquid with bottle and electric plug to dispel mosquitoes. It's selling in NTUC and very effective. IMHO..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast