Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 38 of 38

Thread: How fast can you change lenses?

  1. #21
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    KFC
    Posts
    1,776

    Default Re: How fast can you change lenses?

    yes man....if the mount is metal, on both lens and camera, things should be just fine fine fine.... dun worry abt changing lens, only worry abt the time taken to change it
    09 Oct 09 officially marks the date I become a canon convert.

  2. #22
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    school studio's under table
    Posts
    464

    Default Re: How fast can you change lenses?

    but are u all guys more worried of dust going into lens or dust going into camera body?

    as for how fast i can change my lens, definately faster than when i 1st started handling slr ...
    Don't cry because its over,:)Smile because it happened.
    items for sale

  3. #23

    Default Re: How fast can you change lenses?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kit View Post
    What if I tell you frequent changing of lenses will damage the mount? You stop changing? Then what's the point of having a DSLR? You're better off with a compact.
    hhahha.. that's a good one....
    Nikon D700, VR Micro-105mm f/2.8G, 17-35mm f/2.8D, AF 50mm f/1.4D, 24-70mm f/2.8D

  4. #24
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Singapore, Bedok
    Posts
    1,785

    Default Re: How fast can you change lenses?

    5 secs? Don't joke lah. Changing lens is not just dismounting one and plugging the other in. The proper way to time it is:

    <START>
    - Decide that you need to change from lens 1 to lens 2 for the occasion;
    - take out lens 2 from where it was stored;
    - optional: find a safe, clean, flat surface to put lens 2 down;
    - (in any order) remove lens cap and lens cover from lens 2, dismount lens 1;
    - mount lens 2, recap/re-cover lens 1, keep lens 1 safely;
    - ready to move off and shoot with lens 2
    <END>

    Optional: switch camera off before dismounting lens 1, switch camera on after mounting lens 2;

    Optional: lens hood removal/keeping from lens 1, lens hood takeout/mount on lens 2

    Optional: make necessary adjustment to ISO/shutter speed etc due to changed focal length.

    Seriously, 5 seconds?

  5. #25
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    KFC
    Posts
    1,776

    Default Re: How fast can you change lenses?

    Quote Originally Posted by ST1100 View Post
    <START>
    - Decide that you need to change from lens 1 to lens 2 for the occasion;
    - take out lens 2 from where it was stored;
    - optional: find a safe, clean, flat surface to put lens 2 down;
    - (in any order) remove lens cap and lens cover from lens 2, dismount lens 1;
    - mount lens 2, recap/re-cover lens 1, keep lens 1 safely;
    - ready to move off and shoot with lens 2
    <END>
    we are professionals leh. as a pro, the lens we require, we think in less than 0.5s, then we shout to our assistant "17-35mmf2.8 quick !!!" he wears a photog vest with all the lens and will arrive in 2 seconds with the lens then. i immediately unscrew my current lens, give it to him and take his lens and mount it back, in 2.5 seconds. we dun even need to find a place to sit down and change lens..we stand and change. total: 5 seconds.

    adjustments to ISO/shutter speed is adjusting the camera setting... its not "how fast you can change lenses?"

    be rest assured that he will come with the lens fast in 2 seconds, or else another assistant will be used the next shoot.

    optional: after changing the lens, ask the assistant to grab a drink for us
    Last edited by kcuf2; 20th June 2007 at 05:03 PM.
    09 Oct 09 officially marks the date I become a canon convert.

  6. #26
    Senior Member zac08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    East
    Posts
    11,755

    Default Re: How fast can you change lenses?

    Quote Originally Posted by ST1100 View Post
    5 secs? Don't joke lah. Changing lens is not just dismounting one and plugging the other in. The proper way to time it is:

    <START>
    - Decide that you need to change from lens 1 to lens 2 for the occasion;
    - take out lens 2 from where it was stored;
    - optional: find a safe, clean, flat surface to put lens 2 down;
    - (in any order) remove lens cap and lens cover from lens 2, dismount lens 1;
    - mount lens 2, recap/re-cover lens 1, keep lens 1 safely;
    - ready to move off and shoot with lens 2
    <END>

    Optional: switch camera off before dismounting lens 1, switch camera on after mounting lens 2;

    Optional: lens hood removal/keeping from lens 1, lens hood takeout/mount on lens 2

    Optional: make necessary adjustment to ISO/shutter speed etc due to changed focal length.

    Seriously, 5 seconds?
    Well, it's possible considering you are experienced in this. My bag stores my lenses in a upright position, with the tail end up. I have spare slots for lenses which I am using.

    So, start by switching off camera, dis-engage lens, slot into bag, take off cap from new lens, replace onto the other one. Then remove new lens and engage onto camera, switch on. Should take me about 7 secs or so.
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

  7. #27

    Default Re: How fast can you change lenses?

    Quote Originally Posted by ST1100 View Post
    5 secs? Don't joke lah. Changing lens is not just dismounting one and plugging the other in. The proper way to time it is:

    <START>
    - Decide that you need to change from lens 1 to lens 2 for the occasion;
    - take out lens 2 from where it was stored;
    - optional: find a safe, clean, flat surface to put lens 2 down;
    - (in any order) remove lens cap and lens cover from lens 2, dismount lens 1;
    - mount lens 2, recap/re-cover lens 1, keep lens 1 safely;
    - ready to move off and shoot with lens 2
    <END>

    Optional: switch camera off before dismounting lens 1, switch camera on after mounting lens 2;

    Optional: lens hood removal/keeping from lens 1, lens hood takeout/mount on lens 2

    Optional: make necessary adjustment to ISO/shutter speed etc due to changed focal length.

    Seriously, 5 seconds?
    That's why in my earlier post I wrote....

    Quote Originally Posted by lsisaxon View Post
    Depends on when you start timing. If it's just unmount to mount, less than 5s for smaller lenses.

  8. #28
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    north
    Posts
    1,310

    Default Re: How fast can you change lenses?

    actually depends on how you time changing of lens
    -if you meant just dismount, put lens on table and mount the other lens, then its really fast. i think most ppl can do in less that 5 sec...as fast as 1-2sec

    however, if you are talking abou actual shooting condition. maybe much longer. it depends largely on e bags you use to carry the other lens. i am sure if you carry the rest of your lens in a backpack you are goint to take much longer!

    if you carry and sling bag that has a designated slot for each lens (eg. 4 lens in a domke F2)

    then the chaging again its much faster cos when you dismount you will have a slot ready to keep in as immedaitely you can pull out the other lens which you should be used to knowing which slot you keep it....

    in real shooting situation....about 5 sec is realistic in above mention orientation...but excludes changing of big guns like from 300/2.8 to 500/4 etc....

  9. #29
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Jurong West
    Posts
    146

    Default Re: How fast can you change lenses?

    Is there some kind of Competition for changing lenses - such as Speedy Lens Swap 2007???

    Photography is all about careful planning - not blazing speed...
    What I failed to see, was what I failed to observe...

  10. #30
    Moderator chngpe01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    9,863
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default Re: How fast can you change lenses?

    Looks more like kopitiam topic. It shall be moved there

  11. #31

    Default Re: How fast can you change lenses?

    Quote Originally Posted by zac08 View Post
    So, start by switching off camera,
    the camera's gotta be switched off??

    I dont normally switched it off.. is that ok?

    I just dismount, mount, adjust settings, shoot

  12. #32

    Default Re: How fast can you change lenses?

    Quote Originally Posted by Brand View Post
    the camera's gotta be switched off??

    I dont normally switched it off.. is that ok?

    I just dismount, mount, adjust settings, shoot
    if camera is turned on, ccd/cmos is charged. dust and other particles are easily attracted to it then .

  13. #33
    Senior Member StrifeYun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Rivervale Drive
    Posts
    2,216

    Default Re: How fast can you change lenses?

    think 5 sec possible lah , dat time my unit got SPH ppl come down, 1 photographer only, he was using a 1Dxxx something and he only used 2 lenses for the shoot, one prime and a 16-35 lens, he just had 1 lens pouch with him only (he put his camera bag down away from him), and just swapped his lens by removing and mounting !! haha, did not even put a lens cap or even zip up the lens pouch !

    saw him change very fast !!!! zoom
    his len like no value to him wan !!
    Canon EOS "Luxury"
    [flickr]

  14. #34
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Planet Eropagnis
    Posts
    2,944

    Default Re: How fast can you change lenses?

    Quote Originally Posted by StrifeYun View Post
    think 5 sec possible lah , dat time my unit got SPH ppl come down, 1 photographer only, he was using a 1Dxxx something and he only used 2 lenses for the shoot, one prime and a 16-35 lens, he just had 1 lens pouch with him only (he put his camera bag down away from him), and just swapped his lens by removing and mounting !! haha, did not even put a lens cap or even zip up the lens pouch !

    saw him change very fast !!!! zoom
    his len like no value to him wan !!
    Speed is of the essence as the essence is his ricebowl.

    Slowly put lens down swee-swee and change properly? I dun think any self-respecting press photojournalist would actually do it.

  15. #35
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    SGee
    Posts
    1,572

    Default Re: How fast can you change lenses?

    Quote Originally Posted by StrifeYun View Post
    think 5 sec possible lah , dat time my unit got SPH ppl come down, 1 photographer only, he was using a 1Dxxx something and he only used 2 lenses for the shoot, one prime and a 16-35 lens, he just had 1 lens pouch with him only (he put his camera bag down away from him), and just swapped his lens by removing and mounting !! haha, did not even put a lens cap or even zip up the lens pouch !

    saw him change very fast !!!! zoom
    his len like no value to him wan !!
    mayb its d company's property? spoil buy new 1 jus say spoil due to frequent use lo...

  16. #36

    Default Re: How fast can you change lenses?

    Quote Originally Posted by jpgutierrez18 View Post
    if camera is turned on, ccd/cmos is charged. dust and other particles are easily attracted to it then .
    I seeeeee.... haha.. learn something new today!

  17. #37
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Dry cabinet!
    Posts
    1,757

    Default Re: How fast can you change lenses?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kit View Post
    What if I tell you frequent changing of lenses will damage the mount? You stop changing?
    No... buy a camera for each lens

  18. #38

    Default Re: How fast can you change lenses?

    Quote Originally Posted by StrifeYun View Post
    think 5 sec possible lah , dat time my unit got SPH ppl come down, 1 photographer only, he was using a 1Dxxx something and he only used 2 lenses for the shoot, one prime and a 16-35 lens, he just had 1 lens pouch with him only (he put his camera bag down away from him), and just swapped his lens by removing and mounting !! haha, did not even put a lens cap or even zip up the lens pouch !

    saw him change very fast !!!! zoom
    his len like no value to him wan !!
    i dont really cap my front cap while on assignments, infact i remove ALL of them right before assignments. I mean, if you have filter on, why bother? scratch / dust then just go back and clean. at most throw away the filter and buy new one lor.

    if the pounch is those belted type, no zipping also ok one.. as long as you're sure it wouldn't drop out of the case.

    as for rear caps, it depends on how fast you need to change lens, and how frequent you'll be changing. sometimes i might not even cap the back as well. go home and blow lor. =)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •