Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How fast can you change lenses?

Default How fast can you change lenses?

What is the fastest timing can you change your nikon lenses?
    Will frequent changes bring wear and tear to the mounts?

Default Re: How fast can you change lenses?

Quote Originally Posted by plasma View Post
    Time taken?? Let's see... approx 6 - 8 secs or so...
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

What if I tell you frequent changing of lenses will damage the mount? You stop changing? Then what's the point of having a DSLR? You're better off with a compact.

depends if i'm snapping on a cheap lense it will be real quick probably 8-10 seconds..

but if i'm changing a piece of big glass.. will take it off carefully.. cap it... invert the hood.. and slip it into its bag before putting on another lense
    chezburgr i can haz?

Quote Originally Posted by Kit View Post
    What if I tell you frequent changing of lenses will damage the mount? You stop changing? Then what's the point of having a DSLR? You're better off with a compact.
    I have been changing my lenses when I am out shooting. I am worried I may cause wear and tear to the contacts on the lenses and camera body. :P
    But actually doing it repeatedly can be troublesome. Something must wrong with my shooting style. :P

shd be ard 5 sec

With the frequent changing of lenses, should be around 5 seconds too. :P

def there WILL be wear and tear, as long as there's friction, wear will be present.

That said, I would tink it would take a few hundred thousand lens changes or more to actually affect operation...

As long someone can provide me with the moola, I can change all my lenses to Nikon ones immediately ...

There's a reason why the mounts are made of metal: it's for wear (but certainly not tear).

Not noticeable on the lenses with metal mounts and definitely not noticeable on the camera bodies. I've been using my F3 for more than 25 years now and the mount is still as good with virtually no signs of wear.

I take my own sweet time..... . Must take good care of lens so can last longer.

Get a second body dude considering there's a lot of used D70 / D50 bodies out there which is very affordable IMO.

I once drop a lens while changing in a desperate attempt so not worth the trouble. So extra weight with a second body but you will be more ready.

Personally, I would advise against being QUICK in lens swapping or changing. Because in haste, you can potentially drop it, introduce more dust/dirt into your camera body, or drop both!

Either go out with two bodies, or plan your shoot: cover all the wide angle shots first, then switch to mid or tele focals.

For me, I would rather go out with two bodies, otherwise I plan my shoots with one body.
    What I failed to see, was what I failed to observe...

i take my time changing lenses and ensure to be careful in doing so as lenses don't come cheap .

if i missed a shot because of that, i can just wait for another opportunity to do so. it's better not damaging/dropping any of my gears while changing lenses instead of taking the risk just because of a couple of shots.

anyway, i plan my shooting session and avoid changing lenses every now and then. just yesterday after office hours, i first took some macro shots while it's not dark yet then changed to wide lens for nightshots.

if you shoot for a living, better get at least 2 bodies to cover the crucial focal lengths you need ;

How about changing lens, camera battery, memory card & flash batteries -- blind folded? To simulate darkness.

Quote Originally Posted by snowspeeder View Post
    How about changing lens, camera battery, memory card & flash batteries -- blind folded? To simulate darkness.
    Why do you need to do so?
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

Quote Originally Posted by snowspeeder View Post
    the eyes adjust/adapt in darkness thus you'll still be able to 'see' your gears. being blind folded is a different thing .

Quote Originally Posted by zac08 View Post
    Why do you need to do so?
    Once long time ago, when I was doing an event shoot (stage was brightly lit at one point and dark in another moment), I had to change batteries for the flash. So b4 the eyes could adjust to the darker environment, it was simply 'feel' the way thru. But that was just for the flash part.

Depends on when you start timing. If it's just unmount to mount, less than 5s for smaller lenses.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast