Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: how to take concert/stage pic?

  1. #1

    Default how to take concert/stage pic?

    hi, i have posted my pic, u may take a look and give me ur comment
    thanks huh...

    http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=293181



    i am going for sammi concert tis weekend, i m hoping that i maanage to bring in my d80. haha but do forgive me, may i kow any common setting for condition like that?
    (coz concert always has diff color lights)

    a mode better, isnt it? wat about white balance? iso i was thinking to make max which is 1600...

    i only have kit lens == pls do advise me... thanks!
    Last edited by averynkh; 4th July 2007 at 07:57 PM.

  2. #2

    Default Re: how to take concert/stage pic?

    what kind of lens are you using?
    random equipment.
    where are my primes?

  3. #3

    Default Re: how to take concert/stage pic?

    Quote Originally Posted by wanzw View Post
    what kind of lens are you using?
    i mentioned mah, is kit len nia

  4. #4
    Senior Member zac08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    East
    Posts
    11,755

    Default Re: how to take concert/stage pic?

    You may have a problem with both the reach as well as the aperture range of the lens.

    You'd do best with a longer, larger aperture lens.
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

  5. #5
    Member/Tangshooter
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Punggol 21
    Posts
    2,946

    Default Re: how to take concert/stage pic?

    Quote Originally Posted by averynkh View Post
    i am going for sammi concert tis weekend, i m hoping that i maanage to bring in my d80. haha but do forgive me, may i kow any common setting for condition like that?
    (coz concert always has diff color lights)

    a mode better, isnt it? wat about white balance? iso i was thinking to make max which is 1600...

    i only have kit lens == pls do advise me... thanks!
    go and rent a long lens, prefer about 400mm for ONE day only. should be worth to do so comparing to buying one and then use for one day.

    Bring tripod, as big as possible.

    Use cable release. because long lens tend to shake when you depress shutter.

    Use spot / partial metering.

    ISO1600 is good, but your pictures might be grainy ( not sharp ). try about 800 instead. Use as wide aperture as possible...to achieve highest possible shutter. Warning... stage light is very very tricky.. color is very deceiving.

    Enjoy the concert.. don't work too hard... cheers.

  6. #6

    Default Re: how to take concert/stage pic?

    bring a 400mm? no lah, you have to decide whether you are there to enjoy the concert or photograph the event.

    If you have paid for the tickets, enjoy the concert, and bringing a 400mm will not give you better pictures than someone with a standard lens but gets access in front of the stage.

  7. #7

    Default Re: how to take concert/stage pic?

    please note that you may have to sneak your camera in as not all events allow photography.
    The kit lens may not be of enough reach if you are quite far away. I normally shoot concerts at iso 1600 with the largest aperture availible.

  8. #8
    Moderator ortega's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    23,686
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default Re: how to take concert/stage pic?

    you need a fast lens with enough reach

    unless you want to shoot the crowd

  9. #9
    Senior Member kel77's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    2,061

    Default Re: how to take concert/stage pic?

    For genting concerts it should be fine to bring in cameras. I've even set up tripod in my seat area.

    You definitely need a lens that can go at least 200mm to get closeup shots (assuming you're seated within first 10 rows).
    Last edited by kel77; 22nd June 2007 at 12:41 PM.

  10. #10

    Default Re: how to take concert/stage pic?

    Quote Originally Posted by lkkang View Post
    Use cable release. because long lens tend to shake when you depress shutter.
    Mine shakes even when I grasp the camera body

  11. #11

    Default Re: how to take concert/stage pic?

    I think this topic discussed before.. can search..

    High asa like 1600, large apertures, for suitable shutter.
    But use the largest aperture that can give you decent image quality. If u use only kit lens, then use f8, expose for the centre subject and go home crop.

    Need at least 200mm, 300mm is good, 400mm may be too long (for me always). Use the cheap series 70/75 to 300mm zooms shooting at f8 on high asa 1600 is always acceptable (for me)
    CS says, "We can't help you ignore yourself."

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    71

    Default Re: how to take concert/stage pic?

    High ISO (Canon!) and fast primes (135mm or 200mm and above) should do the trick if you really want sharp images. Otherwise just sit back and take photos of the crowd.

  13. #13

    Default Re: how to take concert/stage pic?

    Quote Originally Posted by Beethoven View Post
    High ISO (Canon!) and fast primes (135mm or 200mm and above) should do the trick if you really want sharp images. Otherwise just sit back and take photos of the crowd.
    I think the subject is "how to take concert/stage pic?" not "what brand to use in concert/stage pic" hehehe

    Peace!!!

  14. #14

    Default Re: how to take concert/stage pic?

    Quote Originally Posted by zildjohn View Post
    I think the subject is "how to take concert/stage pic?" not "what brand to use in concert/stage pic" hehehe

    Peace!!!
    yeah yeah... haha...
    anyway, thanks you guys.... i have a fr who has a len 70-200mm, but i couldn get from him coz no time to look for him... i m not sure how far i am from th stage as well coz i bought the tic at last min... but i will jsut try to bring my d80 in... haha....

    and try to take...

  15. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    71

    Default Re: how to take concert/stage pic?

    Quote Originally Posted by averynkh View Post
    yeah yeah... haha...
    anyway, thanks you guys.... i have a fr who has a len 70-200mm, but i couldn get from him coz no time to look for him... i m not sure how far i am from th stage as well coz i bought the tic at last min... but i will jsut try to bring my d80 in... haha....

    and try to take...
    Yeah... the brand thing was just a side note, the main point being higher ISO and fast primes. IS would help too if the performers are not jumping around too much. Happy shooting!

  16. #16

    Default Re: how to take concert/stage pic?

    for the $$ spent on the ticket, enjoy the concert better than trying to take photo there imho

    you can always google for her concert photos if you want
    http://www.fotop.net/vint/Sammi_Concert_Guest

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •