Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Singapore is 14th most expensive city to live in!

Default Re: Singapore is 14th most expensive city to live in!

Quote Originally Posted by WuffRuff View Post
    Report says:
    "SINGAPORE: Singapore has jumped three places to become the 14th most expensive city in the world for expatriates."

I say:
    If its 14th most expensive city for expats, then its probably one of the most expensive city for CITIZENS! That's cos Citizens dun get expat package. We dun get housing allowance, transport allowance, childcare allowance, etc etc allowance.
    We have to pay for world's most expensive housing through our own pockets while having 20% deducted from our pay to go to it or keep it till we get old if we are fortunate enough not to have gotten stressed to death before then.
    We have to pay from our own pockets and have to dig it deeper and deeper every other year to top up our EZ-Link card more and more frequently becos transport fares are ever increasing and dun even start to dream about owning a car cos that is like bombs going off in your pockets.
    And the best thing? In July 2007, we are gonna have to pay more for EVERYTHING becos GST goes up by 2% but all we can do and will do is shut up and pay and pay... and pay!
    SIGH!!!!!!!
    the point here is really EXPATRIATE and what does it mean for the survey:
    > it is not related to pay package
    > it is realated to the product selection that is used for the survey

The survey would be based likely on:
    * housing: condominum style housing, likely in CBD area where prices have doubled or more during the last 1-2 years.
    * transport: it would include a medium size car
    * healthcare: likely hospitals and doctors as found in Gleneagles and similar
    * entertainement: restaurant food not hawker centre, country club membership etc
    * groceries: probably more western style food
    * schooling: international schools

These are all very expensive items pushing the cost of living up. However, how many citizens, PRs and residents are really living like this? A fraction of the residing population in Singapore. Which means that the survey is completely distorted and gives a wrong picture. Most of us live in Singapore a lot cheaper than anywhere else considering the developped status of Singapore. Condos may be expensive but also only so near the CBD, move away from there and it is avordable specially compared to Europe, we dont want to talk about HDB.... I dont know many places where you can get clean and good food in large variaty as it is available in Singapore for such a low price. In Switzerland a McDonalds meal will set up back by S$20, now triy that for expensive.... having a meal for $5 is impossible there.
    Dont have a car? still can afford a taxi... for what you pay in Europe for just looking into a cab you can ride in Singapore from downtown to Eastcoast....

Now redo the survey and consider subsidized HDB housing, mrt or taxi instead car, local school, coffee shop instead of restaurants etc etc... i bet Singapore will turn out as one of the cheapest developped cities on this planet....

I always found it funny why overseas, where cars are undoubtedly cheaper, that cab fare is so high. I was recently in a town at Southern France, and someone at the hotel didn't get off the special guest bus provided at the right stop. She ended up taking a cab, and for about 25-30 minutes it cost 71 Euros (about 142 SGD). Painful.

And yeah most meals will set you back at least $5. Ended up eating lotsa sandwiches (2.70 Euros cheapest).

It is really prices of things ? or the kind of lifestyle that demands more spending ?

sometimes.. to be honest. I can actually save a lot if i accept things in life that are simple.

duh. of course singapore cost of living is high.

proof?

just see loh, so many people complaning.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post

Now redo the survey and consider subsidized HDB housing, mrt or taxi instead car, local school, coffee shop instead of restaurants etc etc... i bet Singapore will turn out as one of the cheapest developped cities on this planet....
    I can't agree more.
    people who have never lived and work overseas = complain singapore is expensive
    people who have lived and work overseas = singapore is cheap and convenient

Singapore has far more superior public services and convenience than most developed cities. You cannot get a family doctor overseas whenever you want for S$25, you can't go out for your favourite Roti Prata at 2am, you do not have CPF, you pay 20-30% income tax without seeing the public roads and service improving, the government does not listen to you. All that in exchange for a larger house and a car in the garage? No thanks.

If you are rich and famous, then overseas is better because there are places to flaunt your wealth. There are clubs who cater only to A-listers, there are restaurants that you can't enter if you are not wealthy and there are housing districts that you can't drive into. There is no place in Singapore that you can't enter just because you are not ultra rich. Most of us aren't ultra rich, so Singapore is the best place for the average person.

The only thing I can think of is that Singapore is too small and we have to get out of it for entertainment and travelling. But that's not too bad considering all the cheap ASEAN countries about Singapore.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123