Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Singapore is 14th most expensive city to live in!

Default Re: Singapore is 14th most expensive city to live in!

Quote Originally Posted by reachme2003 View Post
    certainly not a good time to buy now. if time is not a issue, i suggest renting for a while and watch the property market.
    Dont forget, our dear HDB benchmark its selling against the market price.
    Last edited by Silence Sky; 19th June 2007 at 05:06 PM.

Smile Re: Singapore is 14th most expensive city to live in!

you are right about definition.

the pool of 'all expenses paid' type of expats has shrunk drastically when compared to pre mid eighties. usually, the top corporate honchos.

EP holders, generally, are no better than local professionals.

Quote Originally Posted by asterixsg View Post
    Depends on what's the definition of expatriate...

I know of expatriates who come with 'all expenses paid'. Live in a palatial house, two cars, a driver, maid(s), kids go to international schools, travel business class for the whole family to their home country. Even if they need to change a light bulb, can call an electrician.

And I know of foreigners who are here on Employment Pass (or even PRs) are earning the same salaries as locals - live in HDB flats, but are still called expatriates.

You think the former lot has a reason to complain if let's say - MRT fares go up or cable costs more ?

Can I don't pay for the TV license, since I am not watch TCS TV programmes?

Silcence Sky,
    You are right on some counts, though we can agree to disagree on the rest

All said and done, Singapore is one of the safest places to live (try taking an RER in Paris - even during the day you will feel uneasy).
    Personal income tax in Singapore is still low compared to the US, Europe, Australia and even China. The social benefits system of the so called developed nations is falling apart - so there is no solution that is successful across the board.

The truth is that we cannot compare ourselves with other countries like Sweden, for quality of life etc. We are a city-state, with no natural resources as such. Singapore has been built out of nothing, that in itself is an achievement.

Other than the housing situation in Singapore, I have no qualms that are related to expenses towards basic living. Sure, cars cost a lot, have to pay ERP etc., at least I have a choice to travel by public transport.

But I need a house to live - this is the most basic need, other than food and clothing.

Peace.
    The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt....

Going to be top 10 in 5 yrs time after IR, F1, increase in GST etc.. Let's see my prediction is correct or not.
    Only Sony device mostly, haha!

Hey I live in Sydney. 10% GST. 25% of my Income disappears in Income tax. (I just plugged the figures on my last pay slip into a calculator :-)

I'm fortunate to live and work near railway stations so I commute to work by train. I walk to the station.
    There is 3 bus routes that run near by house, I don't normally use them as they are privately owned and there is NO THROUGH TICKETING with the suburban trains.
    While I do think that on a per Km basis my daily commute is cheaper than Singapore's MRT, that's only because I don't have to use a bus as well.

Yes, we own a 'landed' house, however the only way we managed to afford a house near a rail corridor is a/ We both work, have reasonably high paying IT sector jobs and have no children. b/ We are under the flight path for one of Sydney Airport's runways (which depressed the price of the house.)

Large slabs of Outer Sydney have houses plonked on blocks of land berely bigger than the house standing on it, with poor community facilities and poor to non-existent public transport. The public transport that does exist, only does so on huge government subsidies - but even then the government can't make intergrated ticketing work.

So large numbers of Sydney siders feel they CAN'T live with out a car, so we get significant congestion on substandard trunk roads. There are entire suburbs where every resident old enough to drive has their own car as they feel trapped otherwise.

For all the charges leavied in Singapore, at least there seems to be infrastructure to show for it - the pan Island expressways, the MRT lines, bus routes that feed the MRT, intergrated ticketing...

You want expensive, try visiting London.. :-)

How about Australia?
    Quote Originally Posted by Terence View Post
    I can certainly attest to that... am looking for a new home at this time and it ain't pretty being a buyer.

I challenge you, its going to be top 5, top 10 really no face you know for KIA SU people.
    Quote Originally Posted by BBTM View Post
    Going to be top 10 in 5 yrs time after IR, F1, increase in GST etc.. Let's see my prediction is correct or not.

Quote Originally Posted by matthew View Post
    Taking the Tube or the bus to get around central london is no joke.

Smile Re: Singapore is 14th most expensive city to live in!

unfortunately not. license is for owning a tv set, not whether one watches the programmes with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Silence Sky View Post
    Can I don't pay for the TV license, since I am not watch TCS TV programmes?

Silcence Sky,
    You are right on some counts, though we can agree to disagree on the rest

All said and done, Singapore is one of the safest places to live (try taking an RER in Paris - even during the day you will feel uneasy).
    Personal income tax in Singapore is still low compared to the US, Europe, Australia and even China. The social benefits system of the so called developed nations is falling apart - so there is no solution that is successful across the board.

The truth is that we cannot compare ourselves with other countries like Sweden, for quality of life etc. We are a city-state, with no natural resources as such. Singapore has been built out of nothing, that in itself is an achievement.

Other than the housing situation in Singapore, I have no qualms that are related to expenses towards basic living. Sure, cars cost a lot, have to pay ERP etc., at least I have a choice to travel by public transport.

But I need a house to live - this is the most basic need, other than food and clothing.

Peace.
    Hi Asterixsg:

My perception about sg might be incorrect or even bias, it is good that we all share our views and learn to appreciate about the good things in Singapore.

I have to agree with you that this place is safe and the personal tax is rather low when compared to most of the developed nations.

Singapore is safe, but is not because we have a very efficient police force. The fact is, a 70 sq kilometers bird cage surrounded by seas has to be very safe by its own account.
    I am still wondering how did Richard Yong escape from this bird cage.

No doubt, life in Singapore is acceptable but it is far from good.
    400,000 citizens out of 3,500,000 qualify for work fare bonus. what does it tell us?

Yes, we have progress from a poor fishing village to become a rich country. We are enjoying great leaderships, but a great machine is made up many bolts and nuts. The ordinary people has made tremendous scarifies in the past to make this country prosperous. The engine or the brain of a car must be properly maintained and recognised, but why should they enjoy a bigger pie of the accumulated wealth? Try to take away a wheel or the exhaust system and see how a car performs.

I just wish that everyone has a chance to lead a comfortable life in Singapore. No need big landed house or big car, just a home I can pay off comfortably in 15 years, raise three children, plus some extra cash to buy 1D mk111 and go to Tibet with it.
    Last edited by Silence Sky; 19th June 2007 at 11:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by matthew View Post
    Hey I live in Sydney. 10% GST. 25% of my Income disappears in Income tax. (I just plugged the figures on my last pay slip into a calculator :-)

I'm fortunate to live and work near railway stations so I commute to work by train. I walk to the station.
    There is 3 bus routes that run near by house, I don't normally use them as they are privately owned and there is NO THROUGH TICKETING with the suburban trains.
    While I do think that on a per Km basis my daily commute is cheaper than Singapore's MRT, that's only because I don't have to use a bus as well.

Yes, we own a 'landed' house, however the only way we managed to afford a house near a rail corridor is a/ We both work, have reasonably high paying IT sector jobs and have no children. b/ We are under the flight path for one of Sydney Airport's runways (which depressed the price of the house.)

Large slabs of Outer Sydney have houses plonked on blocks of land berely bigger than the house standing on it, with poor community facilities and poor to non-existent public transport. The public transport that does exist, only does so on huge government subsidies - but even then the government can't make intergrated ticketing work.

So large numbers of Sydney siders feel they CAN'T live with out a car, so we get significant congestion on substandard trunk roads. There are entire suburbs where every resident old enough to drive has their own car as they feel trapped otherwise.

For all the charges leavied in Singapore, at least there seems to be infrastructure to show for it - the pan Island expressways, the MRT lines, bus routes that feed the MRT, intergrated ticketing...

Hi,

I once lived in Sydney for a short period of time. A wonderful city, full of lifes and activities.

I lived in second sector suburb. Bot a Mistubishi Magna 3,500 cc for 32k. Petrol is 70-80 cts per liter at that time. Drove to the Train station, park there for free and took a train to the city. Hit the Coogee beach most of the weekend and sometimes drove to central coast.
    In Singapore, without a car, you wouldn't be even bother to go to Karanji Reservior.

Don't stop there, tell us more, what your 25% tax brings you. what benefits you enjoy as a citizen. What is the cost of raising three children through university. What is the medical system over there like?
    What is the pension system like?
    When you are out of job, what assistance do you get.

Hi Asterixsg:

My perception about sg might be incorrect or even bias, it is good that we all share our views and learn to appreciate about the good things in Singapore.

I have to agree with you that this place is safe and the personal tax is rather low when compared to most of the developed nations.

Singapore is safe, but is not because we have a very efficient police force. The fact is, a 70 sq kilometers bird cage surrounded by seas has to be very safe by its own account.
    I am still wondering how did Richard Yong escape from this bird cage.

No doubt, life in Singapore is acceptable but it is far from good.
    400,000 citizens out of 3,500,000 qualify for work fare bonus. what does it tell us?

Yes, we have progress from a poor fishing village to become a rich country. We are enjoying great leaderships, but a great machine is made up many bolts and nuts. The ordinary people has made tremendous scarifies in the past to make this country prosperous. The engine or the brain of a car must be properly maintained and recognised, but why should they enjoy a bigger pie of the accumulated wealth? Try to take away a wheel or the exhaust system and see how a car performs.

I just wish that everyone has a chance to leads a comfortable life in Singapore. No need big landed house or big car, just a home I can pay off comfortably in 15 years, raise three children, plus some extra cash to buy 1D mk111 and go to Tibet with it.
    if you dun aim for big home, be contented, it can be done. i finished my home loan in less than 3 years and i dun earn a lot

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_Yeo View Post
    the only thing i fear is medical bills.

I see a lot of newly wed get luxury items like 30K renovations, flat screen tv, home entertainment, 5 room flat, etc.

I have only a small 4 room flat, just a normal small TV, no home entertainment system, no cars, finished my loan comfortably less than 3 years and I dun earn a lot (just a normal executive pay)

...and we are happily contented
    Sweet....

How you do that in three years? Where is your sweet home located?

If you do not mind, can disclose your salary range? 2-3k, 3-5k or 5-7k?

I think with 2-3k salary can't redeem the loan in three years.
    Last edited by Silence Sky; 19th June 2007 at 11:31 PM.

Sweet....

How you do that in three years? Where is your sweet home located?

If you do not mind, can disclose your salary range? 2-3k, 3-5k or 5-7k?
    I earn around 3K that time when serving my loan. My home is in sengkang. I worked for 6 years before I got married and we have enough $ in CPF to cover most of the flat. Together with my wife (whose pay also around mine)

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_Yeo View Post
    I earn around 3K that time when serving my loan. My home is in sengkang. I worked for 6 years before I got married and we have enough $ in CPF to cover most of the flat. Together with my wife (whose pay also around mine)
    Ohhhh....

So your total household income is 6k. Yes should be able to clear in three years if you both have no kids and have regular savings.

Here's my suggestion to your medical problem in the other thread.

The best insurance for you, which I can think of right now, is for you to secure a citizenship of our northern neigbours.

Even one has the money to cover the medical expanses in Singapore, also got no money to cover the funeral costs.

The prices of basic commodities are the cheapest. Milk, bread, sugar, rice, vegetables, meat etc. are priced quite low and I don't remember seeing the price of bread (just an example) change in the last 10 years. If you cook your meals yourself, you can live on very little money (and much healthier too than eating in hawker centres)
    Actually, there is a cheaper place to purchase your basic commodities. This supermarket is in a wonderland somewhere 20 km in the north.
    Heard that basic medical drugs and cancer
    treatment with standard drugs is only at half the price. Further more the price quoted is in Rinngit.

Even Petrol is at half price in the wonderland. Do you know which country impose the 3/4 tank rule?
    Last edited by Silence Sky; 20th June 2007 at 01:29 PM.

Actually, there is a cheaper place to purchase your basic commodities. This supermarket is in a wonderland somewhere 20 km in the north.
    Heard that basic medical drugs and cancel treatment with standard drugs is only at half the price. Further more the price quoted is in Rinngit.

Even Petrol is at half price in the wonderland. Do you know which country impose the 3/4 tank rule?
    Of course its cheaper. Consider the income disparity, how on earth could the government allow it to be more expensive?

As to 3/4 tank, have you ever considered why? Of course its to prevent tax leakage, the g-ment have never tried to hide it. Why do you consider that to be an issue?

Its just another way of preventing tax leakage. Quite simply, if you want to use certain goods in a certain location, it will draw a tax. If you bought a shiny new camera in B&H in New York and brought it back into the UK, you would draw a UK consumption tax. You couldn't possibly tax motorists for petrol in their tanks when they are coming back into SG from Malaysia, and in its own little way the 3/4 tank rule is to limit the the tax leakage. An entirely valid measure as far as I am concerned.

Government policies (anywhere in the world) will be criticized. There is no policy that works across the board across the entire strata of society.

The reason I got involved in this thread was to highlight that Singapore is an expensive place for EVERYONE. The 'expatriates' in the true sense (those highly paid executives) shouldn't have any reason to complain. And those folks who are branded as 'expatriates' but are paid as much as most locals and having similar lifestyle as locals, are in the same situation as the locals.

Once again, the three basic needs - food, clothing and shelter - should be affordable to all.
    The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast