Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst ... 456781116 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 120 of 361

Thread: What culture is it here??!!

  1. #101
    Deregistered
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    East Coast
    Posts
    187

    Default Re: What culture is it here??!!

    Quote Originally Posted by eikin View Post
    what about the reinventing of the wheel?
    I see, its a figurative speech, using the wheel to illustrate my point. As you know, the wheel is a simple invention thats been made many years ago, so if people says that they don't want to learn from other people's experiences and mistakes, and that they want to experience the pain first hand, then I use this phrase " I'd rather not re-invent the wheel" meaning, I'll use the wheel that's been invented long ago, and make something else more advanced and sophisticated, got it? That equates to me saying that I will use other people's lesson in life, to apply in mine, so I don't have to go through the same process that they went through, its not very efficient to lead life that way, IMHO.

    Don't mean to make this sound like teaching you to suck eggs, its just to clarify your questioning.
    Last edited by nikontiger; 19th June 2007 at 07:48 PM.

  2. #102
    Deregistered
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    East Coast
    Posts
    187

    Default Re: What culture is it here??!!

    Quote Originally Posted by IceMocha View Post
    You wrote the above, but your signature is "Break away from the norm, and capture your vision, not just photographs!!"

    I cannot imagine a person who do not want to "reinvent the wheel" to "break away from the norm".

    A visionary always want to do things in a different ways.
    Your imagination may need some more imaginations know what I mean? Maybe you are suggesting that Van Gogh don't use paint to express his creativity? Get it? Wheels, paint, wheels, paint... I don't understand your point, really.
    Last edited by nikontiger; 19th June 2007 at 07:57 PM.

  3. #103
    Deregistered
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    East Coast
    Posts
    187

    Default Re: What culture is it here??!!

    Quote Originally Posted by garou12 View Post
    Nikontiger, you asked what kind of culture is it here...well here's my 2cents and everyone i beg your pardon if this seems like a rant but i think it needs to be said. Its not meant to be an attack on anyone in particular just a statement of what the general environment looks like to me.

    This is a culture that's more concerned with materialism: That thinking that having the best toys automatically makes them the best. Buying the best gear and bragging about it just shows that you're materialistic and insecure. It doesn't make you better than everyone else. The best pros out there don't even use some of the high end equipment that's on sale. They have a specific gear box that they stick with for years on end. The thing that makes them great is that they live by 3 creedos:
    1. Learn your gear
    2. plan your shoot in advance
    3. don't be afraid to experiement.

    Sometimes having limited gear in my mind is better because it forces you to be more creative and imaginative. Because let's face it photography though very technical in nature is also a very creative field. Technical expertise only gets you so far in an art form. Creativity is what makes you stand out.

    Many people take for granted that they can just show up to a shoot and come up with things on the fly. Planning will make the a huge difference. Any pros who aren't based here will tell you this. I suggest you read the magazine Inside Photography to get a feeling for this. The mag isn't circulated here but they have a website you can visit. Google it.

    Another thing that everyone here seems to be concerned with is credentials. I think we sometimes forget that the piece of paper only goes so far. What counts the most is experience and knowledge. Anyone can go out and print a cert and claim that they have cred but are unable to back that up when the time comes. What matters is the quality of their output. Stop complaining that some people are vicious with their criticism. By listening to them and challenging them, you're giving them credit regardless if you meant to do so or not. Just ignore them. Also remember that some people are just plain jack@$$es even if they are credible. I think people often don't realize that they should treat other people the way they themselves want to be treated. so its easy to tear down other people. The best people are the ones who remember that and retain an air of humility about them and you can tell that from the way they present themselves and their pov.

    That's the end of my rant. Thank you for your patience and i hope i didn't cheese anyone off too badly.
    Bro, I couldn't agree more on whats ranted here..hehe. But the paper, to ME is the photo

  4. #104
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    東京 Tokyo
    Posts
    10,193

    Default Re: What culture is it here??!!

    Quote Originally Posted by nikontiger View Post
    I see, its a figurative speech, using the wheel to illustrate my point. As you know, the wheel is a simple invention thats been made many years ago, so if people says that they don't want to learn from other people's experiences and mistakes, and that they want to experience the pain first hand, then I use this phrase " I'd rather not re-invent the wheel" meaning, I'll use the wheel that's been invented long ago, and make something else more advanced and sophisticated, got it? That equates to me saying that I will use other people's lesson in life, to apply in mine, so I don't have to go through the same process that they went through, its not very efficient to lead life that way, IMHO.

    Don't mean to make this sound like teaching you to suck eggs, its just to clarify your questioning.
    it is out of context when used as a reply to ortega's post, there's no wheel to reinvent, experience + learn from mistakes -> improvement ... nothing's reinvented (to make it simpler for understanding, no one's telling one to purposefully go make mistakes and learn from them, mistakes or ''mistakes'' will happen all the time, just learn from them)

    it'll probably make you sound like trying to make me suck eggs to yourself and some others
    Last edited by eikin; 19th June 2007 at 07:58 PM.

  5. #105
    Deregistered
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    East Coast
    Posts
    187

    Default Re: What culture is it here??!!

    Quote Originally Posted by eikin View Post
    it is out of context when used as a reply to ortega's post, there's no wheel to reinvent, experience + learn from mistakes -> improvement ... nothing's reinvented (to make it simpler for understanding, no one's telling one to purposefully go make mistakes and learn from them, mistakes or ''mistakes'' will happen all the time, just learn from them)

    it'll probably make you sound like trying to make me suck eggs to yourself and some others
    No no, please read the few threads connected before you make this judgement, I don't think its out of context. Oh God, please help me . I feel like a kindergarten teacher already...I respect those folks now
    Last edited by nikontiger; 19th June 2007 at 08:08 PM.

  6. #106
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    東京 Tokyo
    Posts
    10,193

    Default Re: What culture is it here??!!

    Quote Originally Posted by nikontiger View Post
    Slowly, I begin to see some individuals here who feel that I am targeting them, but I am not, it is perhaps there own conscience speaking to them, making them feel that they have been targeted by me. So I am not surprised that Icemocha will feel that he needs to insult me back, as he has stated, that he might be one of those whom I am speaking about.
    the reason why i say you're over sensitive is because you already presuppose that there are people trying to read you as targetting them (just like how you worried that you seem to be trying to make me suck eggs) ... well, i don't really think anyone really sees you as targetting them

    i suppose you're referring to Icemocha (since you think he is insulting you)

    i think it's easy for people to misread you as your statements tend to self-contradict, like how you say don't reinvent the wheel (and pick up from what others have done) and then agreeing that one shouldn't be afraid to experiment.
    Last edited by eikin; 19th June 2007 at 08:09 PM.

  7. #107
    Senior Member Sion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    新天地
    Posts
    4,768

    Default Re: What culture is it here??!!

    Quote Originally Posted by espion View Post
    Someone once said, those who can, do; those who can't crtique; and those who can't crtique, critique the critiques.
    Those who can't critique the critiques can Buy and Sell.

  8. #108
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    東京 Tokyo
    Posts
    10,193

    Default Re: What culture is it here??!!

    Quote Originally Posted by nikontiger View Post
    No no, please read the few threads connected before you make this judgement, I don't think its out of context. Oh God, please help me . I feel like a kindergarten teacher already...I respect those folks now
    you don't think it's out of context because you assume that ortega is telling people to reinvent the wheel (or the method of learning since ortega is talking about the learning process) ... get it? the problem lies in the fact that you're too quick to make assumptions, as per so many examples here.
    Last edited by eikin; 19th June 2007 at 08:13 PM.

  9. #109
    Deregistered
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    East Coast
    Posts
    187

    Default Re: What culture is it here??!!

    Quote Originally Posted by eikin View Post
    the reason why i say you're over sensitive is because you already presuppose that there are people trying to read you as targetting them (just like how you worried that you seem to be trying to make me suck eggs) ... well, i don't really think anyone really sees you as targetting them

    i suppose you're referring to Icemocha (since you think he is insulting you)

    i think it's easy for people to misread you as your statements tend to self-contradict, like how you say don't reinvent the wheel (and pick up from what others have done) and then agreeing that one shouldn't be afraid to experiment.
    This is not a good way to moderate anything, the obvious is evident and solid, lets just stop this here, please, its kinda childish , you know? AND DON"T ANYBODY JOIN IN TO STIR THIS SHEAT...LOL
    Last edited by nikontiger; 19th June 2007 at 08:14 PM.

  10. #110
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    東京 Tokyo
    Posts
    10,193

    Default Re: What culture is it here??!!

    Quote Originally Posted by nikontiger View Post
    This is not a good way to moderate anything, the obvious is evident and solid, lets just stop this here, please, its kinda childish , you know? AND DON"T ANYBODY JOIN IN TO STIR THIS ****...LOL
    the fact is that you started the finger pointing without explaining yourself, get it? and no i'm not a moderator of this section, i don't moderate this place, see, you're making assumptions again.

  11. #111
    Deregistered
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    East Coast
    Posts
    187

    Default Re: What culture is it here??!!

    Quote Originally Posted by eikin View Post
    the reason why i say you're over sensitive is because you already presuppose that there are people trying to read you as targetting them (just like how you worried that you seem to be trying to make me suck eggs) ... well, i don't really think anyone really sees you as targetting them

    i suppose you're referring to Icemocha (since you think he is insulting you)

    i think it's easy for people to misread you as your statements tend to self-contradict, like how you say don't reinvent the wheel (and pick up from what others have done) and then agreeing that one shouldn't be afraid to experiment.
    Firstly, you tend to putforth your thoughts into others also with assumptions thats not based on facts , but your own opinion, like for example, you said that I presume that others think I am targeting them... well, they were the ones who sort of owned up in the post, had you read them?

  12. #112
    Deregistered
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    East Coast
    Posts
    187

    Default Re: What culture is it here??!!

    Quote Originally Posted by eikin View Post
    the fact is that you started the finger pointing without explaining yourself, get it? and no i'm not a moderator of this section, i don't moderate this place, see, you're making assumptions again.
    Back to the point you have been trying to say, one who moderates doesn't have to be a moderator, right? Just like a critique of food doesn't have to be a chef. I can't agree more. Is this the contradiction that you are accusing me of? I didn't say you are a moderator, did I? wink wink

  13. #113
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    東京 Tokyo
    Posts
    10,193

    Default Re: What culture is it here??!!

    Quote Originally Posted by nikontiger View Post
    Firstly, you tend to putforth your thoughts into others also with assumptions thats not based on facts , but your own opinion, like for example, you said that I presume that others think I am targeting them... well, they were the ones who sort of owned up in the post, had you read them?
    you posted the topic here to ask for feedback, feedback is what you got. have you gotten a feedback that insulted you? maybe you want to read again?

  14. #114
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    東京 Tokyo
    Posts
    10,193

    Default Re: What culture is it here??!!

    Quote Originally Posted by nikontiger View Post
    Back to the point you have been trying to say, one who moderates doesn't have to be a moderator, right? Just like a critique of food doesn't have to be a chef. I can't agree more. Is this the contradiction that you are accusing me of? I didn't say you are a moderator, did I? wink wink
    let's see ...

    Quote Originally Posted by eikin View Post
    the reason why i say you're over sensitive is because you already presuppose that there are people trying to read you as targetting them (just like how you worried that you seem to be trying to make me suck eggs) ... well, i don't really think anyone really sees you as targetting them

    i suppose you're referring to Icemocha (since you think he is insulting you)

    i think it's easy for people to misread you as your statements tend to self-contradict, like how you say don't reinvent the wheel (and pick up from what others have done) and then agreeing that one shouldn't be afraid to experiment.
    Quote Originally Posted by nikontiger View Post
    This is not a good way to moderate anything, the obvious is evident and solid, lets just stop this here, please, its kinda childish , you know? AND DON"T ANYBODY JOIN IN TO STIR THIS ****...LOL
    i'm telling you that you assume too quickly, and that your words do self-contradict. why did you say that what i said was not a good way to moderate anything? (hint hint: i wasn't moderating, i was only telling you what i thought of your postings)
    Last edited by eikin; 19th June 2007 at 08:29 PM.

  15. #115
    Deregistered
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    East Coast
    Posts
    187

    Default Re: What culture is it here??!!

    Quote Originally Posted by eikin View Post
    you posted the topic here to ask for feedback, feedback is what you got. have you gotten a feedback that insulted you? maybe you want to read again?
    I will not spoon feed you, you need to really read, for your own good.

  16. #116
    Senior Member Sion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    新天地
    Posts
    4,768

    Default Re: What culture is it here??!!

    Quote Originally Posted by eikin View Post
    ...and no i'm not a moderator of this section, i don't moderate this place.
    But you are our Superhero. You have more power over our creative souls than a moderator. We look up to you for divine enlightenment.

    Please show us The Way.

  17. #117
    Deregistered
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    East Coast
    Posts
    187

    Default Re: What culture is it here??!!

    Quote Originally Posted by eikin View Post
    let's see ...





    i'm telling you that you assume too quickly, and that your words do self-contradict. why did you say that what i said was not a good way to moderate anything?
    You know, and I know nice try buddy

  18. #118
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    東京 Tokyo
    Posts
    10,193

    Default Re: What culture is it here??!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Sion View Post
    But you are our Superhero. You have more power over our creative souls than a moderator. We look up to you for divine enlightenment.

    Please show us The Way.
    i can only admire the path of Sion the Guru and will never surpass it, divine enlightenment will not be found in me, but only in our Guru, all hail Sion!

  19. #119
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    東京 Tokyo
    Posts
    10,193

    Default Re: What culture is it here??!!

    Quote Originally Posted by nikontiger View Post
    I will not spoon feed you, you need to really read, for your own good.
    Quote Originally Posted by nikontiger View Post
    You know, and I know nice try buddy


    well, i'm alright with it if you don't agree, i'm only pointing out the problems in your postings, if you choose not to see them, so be it

  20. #120
    Deregistered
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    East Coast
    Posts
    187

    Default Re: What culture is it here??!!

    Quote Originally Posted by eikin View Post


    well, i'm alright with it if you don't agree, i'm only pointing out the problems in your postings, if you choose not to see them, so be it
    I see through my eyes, and honest about it, its only you who have a problem with those who doesn't see through yours, anyway... sucking eggs comment was meant to be nice to you, to not insult your intelligence, but you quickly turned it around against me, thats not very nice you know?

    And your ideology about photography being Western Centric, I respect that as being your idea, even though I don't agree to it, I don't have to force you to agree with me. Don't make me out to be a monster that I'm not.
    Last edited by nikontiger; 19th June 2007 at 08:41 PM.

Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst ... 456781116 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •