Thread: Self-Portrait 07

Default Self-Portrait 07

Decided to do a self portrait again after I last did one 3 years ago. I originally intended for something more complex, but the logistics I had at home didn't quite allow for it so I produced a preliminary one first. I'm happy with the simplicity but there are also quite a number of faults that I have detected with the image( I need to light the smoke, tidy the hair a little. for example). Just wanna know what you guys think of this work in progress. CnC appreciated. Thanks.

Default Re: Self-Portrait 07

well u are right abt the light on the smoke. would be better with it and maybe some smoke. i like the editing.

good work.

Singapore, western area

was shadow highlight applied? there is halo-ing all around the subject, nice expression and mood intended but it looks fake with the processing. I find the tan skin (or perhaps dodged?) quite alright giving the rugged look overall. Take note of the chair's frame which i find distracting.

Thanks sprintist and shah for taking the time to offer your thoughts. Appreciate it!

Sprintist --> The PP I applied for the image involved some usage of the high-pass filter, which is what caused the slight haloing. I agree about the chair's frame, and I will most certainly find a more suitable object to sit on when I finally do get the proper self-portrait done. Thanks for pointing this out.

dragan effect? I like this look, but have not found the "perfect formulation" yet. u did lots of dodge/burn?

Quote Originally Posted by espion View Post
    dragan effect? I like this look, but have not found the "perfect formulation" yet. u did lots of dodge/burn?
    The dodge/burn bit is quite minor. I love the look too but not too easy to achieve. I can only get an approximation of the draganisation effect but I feel it's not quite there. I get something like it mostly through fiddling with the high pass filter and blending modes. Trying to experiment around to get closer.

I think you should not crop away the right hand and also the left arm should be visible to show the connection of the hand to the body.

wanna share your techniques? I play ard with channels, but its not it yet.

Blue/Green Planet

Hi Stoned,

I too like the effect and overall look of the photo, but, the floating hand could be someone elses.

The cigarette would be better lit and with a swirl of smoke, (hey, it could even be a joint given your nick is Stoned )

Good look and PS work.

Time, is an effortless construction :)

Hi Pablo and Harry, thanks for giving your thoughts. I agree with the fact that it's too tight of a crop and will most certainly take note of that when I do the final version. I must must really light the smoke(probably not a joint cos then I'd be inviting arrest on a public forum )

Espion, the technique isn't mine cos I do what I do now after some advice from a thread I started in digital darkroom regarding draganisation. I simply apply a duplicate layer and apply the high pass filter. I then fiddle with the blending modes. That's about it.