Thread: Desserts

Default Desserts

This is my second attempt. Not exactly the best photos. I think there is something missing.

Please C&C. No need to hold back. Just wanna improve

Default Re: Desserts

looks delicious! all of it came from the same place?
    Sony Ericsson K800i :: seizing the moments in my life

Stan,
    Your images look pretty good. One trick used by almost all professional food photographers is to backlight with a soft box at about a 45 degree angle. This will give your food texture which is critical to it looking good. Then, if you need to, use a white card to fill any shadows which are too dark.

Here's an example. It was scanned from a 4X5 transparency so it lost a lot of shadow detail but it will give you an idea of lighting and texture.

Quote Originally Posted by ahfaii View Post
    looks delicious! all of it came from the same place?
    nope ...2 locations

Quote Originally Posted by Bill9 View Post
    Stan,
    Your images look pretty good. One trick used by almost all professional food photographers is to backlight with a soft box at about a 45 degree angle. This will give your food texture which is critical to it looking good. Then, if you need to, use a white card to fill any shadows which are too dark.

Here's an example. It was scanned from a 4X5 transparency so it lost a lot of shadow detail but it will give you an idea of lighting and texture.

wow ... you've got a nice picture there ... Thanks for your advice

1 question though, normally desserts like those i took, close ups will be better ya ?

And I don't have a softbox nor do I lug one along during the shoot. The reason being, I'm shooting at the shop or restaurant itself. Any creative solution to this?
    Last edited by estronutz; 22nd June 2007 at 11:48 PM.

the chalkboard and ice cream one is def. my favorite

Stan,
    How close you are to the subject doesn't make any difference. You light the food the same way.

Per the soft box. You must figure out a way to use one if you're doing this professionally or want to do it professionally as a career. Harsh strobe lights (or even incandescent lights) are NOT what you want to use. There are many soft box enclosures made of cloth. They are not only very light weight but also inexpensive and used by photographers who do location shoots. Here's a link to just one of many suppliers: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...arch&Q=*&bhs=t

If you can't even afford one of these soft-boxes then figure out how to make one until you are earning enough to buy one. Just use translucent plastic for the front to defuse the light. Remember, like most professions, a photographer is only as good as his last image. If you want to beat your competition you MUST make every photo you take the best that can be taken. Anything less and this profession will eat you alive.

Good luck.

Bill