Thread: ACDSee or IrfanView?

Default ACDSee or IrfanView?

which of the above is a better prog to use for digital photos? pls advise as i'm thinking of getting one of them.. thanks!

Default IrfanView

I personnal prefer Irfanview and had been using it for more than a year. The program is small and pretty powerful, can view most of the pictures and photos, fast display of photos and batch transform or conversion of photos. It is free and can be downloaded from

http://www.irfanview.com/

but remember to download the plugin file as well...

ACDSee. Much easier to use as an image viewer/browser. I use Irfanview for batch processing only.

Regards
    CK

so u have both progs installed at the same time?

hi ck, wat kind of batch processing?

Originally posted by Linkster
    so u have both progs installed at the same time?
    Yup.

Regards
    CK

Originally posted by GitS
    hi ck, wat kind of batch processing?
    Like batch resizing, batch renaming, etc.

Regards
    CK

Originally posted by ckiang
    Yup.

Regards
    CK
    so which s/w did u set as default? meaning when u double click on a .jpg file, which s/w is used to view the image?

thanks ck, was looking for a way to batch rename files previously...

Originally posted by Linkster
    so which s/w did u set as default? meaning when u double click on a .jpg file, which s/w is used to view the image?
    My default viewer is ACDSee, so if I double-click on an image file, ACDSee opens.

Regards
    CK

Default ACDSee and Photoshop Album

I do not use Irfanview so I cannot comment on it. But I find ACDsee really fast and nifty, including previewing thumbnails and batch renaming of files. I also find it’s import capability function good for d/l photos from the camera. I store the original unedited photos in separate folders from the edited folders. ACDsee lets me navigate between these folders easily.
    I use PhotoShop Album only to organize my edited photos. PSA is good is organizing photos according to its TAGs and timeline. For that purpose, I find it useful to use PSA as a tool to organize and manage edited photos. It becomes a real haywire if I use it to manage both original and edited photos as both photos will have the same date/time information. PSA is also good in making photobooks, organizing photos for printing and running mini printing projects. It is also easier to search for photos of a particular person, place or event (of course provided you tag them properly). I am truly impressed with the tag function of this software (drag and drop and easy customization of tag icons). However, it fails short in doing what ACDSee is good at; which is speed and ease of manipulation of files (renaming, sorting and moving). And it is slow in loading…isn’t all Adobe products slow to load…. Even an entry-level one.
    Having said the above, I use both ACDSee and PSA. I believe both are good products and meet different needs. Most people do not need both at the same time though.
    Canon 40D 17-55mm/f2.8 IS, 50mm/f1.8, 70-200mm/f4 IS