Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Trading a EF-S 17-55 for a EF 17-40 L

  1. #1

    Default Trading a EF-S 17-55 for a EF 17-40 L

    hey guys,

    Just wanna ask around any canon 30D user who prefer to use the ,17-40 f4L instead of the 17-55 f2.8 IS during wedding event. The reason is because i am dealing with distortion at the side of the pictures, because of the crop factor, when i use the 17-55. I was told that the 17-40 f4L does not encounter such problem even shoot at 17mm and people at the extreme corner.
    What do you guys think ?

  2. #2
    Senior Member Kit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Upper Bukit Timah
    Posts
    11,650

    Default Re: Trading a EF-S 17-55 for a EF 17-40 L

    What kind of distortion are you talking about. If its perspective distortion then forget about it. You'd get it with every wide lens.

  3. #3

    Default Re: Trading a EF-S 17-55 for a EF 17-40 L

    Quote Originally Posted by Kit View Post
    What kind of distortion are you talking about. If its perspective distortion then forget about it. You'd get it with every wide lens.
    The person standing at the extreme corner, the shape of his head a bit weird. The forhead bends towards the right.

  4. #4
    Senior Member Kit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Upper Bukit Timah
    Posts
    11,650

    Default Re: Trading a EF-S 17-55 for a EF 17-40 L

    Its perspective distortion. You get it with every wide angles.

  5. #5

    Default Re: Trading a EF-S 17-55 for a EF 17-40 L

    Quote Originally Posted by Kit View Post
    Its perspective distortion. You get it with every wide angles.
    it seemed that i need to learn not to place subject at the corner of my viewfinder at 17mm, then it will be fine. thanks for your priceless advice. at least i got some rough idea on how to deal with this perspective disotortion

  6. #6

    Default Re: Trading a EF-S 17-55 for a EF 17-40 L

    dude .. e distortion will always b there no matter which lens u use.
    Tink it's more of e way u shoot at 17mm. Never put any person at e edge wen using at e widest end. e person will b distorted liao.

    Frankly speaking i didnt use 17-40 extensively but currently using 17-55 and anytime of e day i wud choose 17-55 cuz of it's f2.8. Of course u dont use f2.8 for table to table mind u. But it's great for other shots like potraits shots .. bla bla bla

  7. #7

    Default Re: Trading a EF-S 17-55 for a EF 17-40 L

    Quote Originally Posted by AdyH View Post
    dude .. e distortion will always b there no matter which lens u use.
    Tink it's more of e way u shoot at 17mm. Never put any person at e edge wen using at e widest end. e person will b distorted liao.

    Frankly speaking i didnt use 17-40 extensively but currently using 17-55 and anytime of e day i wud choose 17-55 cuz of it's f2.8. Of course u dont use f2.8 for table to table mind u. But it's great for other shots like potraits shots .. bla bla bla
    Hey bro,

    Thanks for your advice, table to table using f2.8 is digging our own grave.
    Me use 5.6 for table shot, if got chance, i will explore using f8 for table shots.
    cheers to the 17-55.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •