Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 38

Thread: how to stop upgrading crazz?

  1. #1

    Default how to stop upgrading crazz?

    personally......experience the urge to upgrade many times liao......keep suppressing but it comes very fast........

    any great ways?

    what we always hear is snap snap snap......

    ask urself whether u have out grow ur camera.......

    actual fact, we all know that it is just urge.......and we know the reasoning to "why dun upgrade" ......but the urge is always greater than the reasoning right?

    know is one thing, but the heart says the other!
    ha.......craz craz craz.

    for the moment, after looking at more A40 shots.......i suppressed the urge again.....but i know it will be back, sooner or later!

    sometimes.........so troubled, I would jokingly say "give up give up! sell all away, dun play liao!" .......of cost, joking only^^
    DSLR newbie: 400D + Tamron 18-200mm + 50mm F1.8 (i simply love it!)
    Canon G2

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    1,741

    Default

    Why bother to suppress your desire?

    BUY! BUY! BUY!

  3. #3

    Default

    try to justify your purchases? balance your needs vs your budget and ask yourself what you will be shooting most frequently and if your present camera can serve those needs well. of course if you have the $$$ and shopping is your hobby you can just throw the logic aside and indulge in some spending

    DO YOU REALLY NEED THAT UPGRADE?

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Northern Singapore
    Posts
    364

    Default

    Dun visit clubsnaps hehe

    I have been into photography for quite a while, the only things I bought after I got my camera was necessary lenses, 1 wide and 1 tele, at intervals of like 1 - 2 years when I have the $$$

    But since I come here, hehe, feel the urge to upgrade leh... after reading so many posts... but then again, I never did upgrade. Cos I got NO $$$

    Hehe, , seriously, just have to ask urself if u need the upgrade. Or are ur current gear sufficient.
    Flickr :: Alpha 850 :: 50F1.4 :: 28-75F2.8 :: 17-35F2.8 ::

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    1,741

    Default

    Originally posted by Freed
    Dun visit clubsnaps hehe

    I have been into photography for quite a while, the only things I bought after I got my camera was necessary lenses, 1 wide and 1 tele, at intervals of like 1 - 2 years when I have the $$$

    But since I come here, hehe, feel the urge to upgrade leh... after reading so many posts... but then again, I never did upgrade. Cos I got NO $$$

    Hehe, , seriously, just have to ask urself if u need the upgrade. Or are ur current gear sufficient.
    01 the more you read, the more you'll buy
    02 the more you buy, the less $ you'll have
    03 the less $ you have, the less you'll buy
    04 the less you buy, the more $ you'll have
    05 the more $ you have, the more you want to read
    06 goto line 01

  6. #6

    Default

    Originally posted by Freed

    But since I come here, hehe, feel the urge to upgrade leh...
    This is called peer pressure and I think our male ego also plays a part.

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Northern Singapore
    Posts
    364

    Default

    This is called peer pressure and I think our male ego also plays a part.
    True to a certain extent.

    But for me, cos I didn't know much about equipments, how different lenses perform, etc till I came here. Tt's why I say after coming here then feel like upgrading.

    After all, all my lenses are the lowest range, hehe Tokina cheapest lenses (100-300mm for $200). But still I am not upgrading cos dun have any problems, serve me well . More importantly no extra cash
    Flickr :: Alpha 850 :: 50F1.4 :: 28-75F2.8 :: 17-35F2.8 ::

  8. #8

    Default

    Originally posted by avatarzero
    try to justify your purchases? balance your needs vs your budget and ask yourself what you will be shooting most frequently and if your present camera can serve those needs well. of course if you have the $$$ and shopping is your hobby you can just throw the logic aside and indulge in some spending

    DO YOU REALLY NEED THAT UPGRADE?
    well........say the true...other than those using photography s a living, who really need a camera let alone upgrade?

    all are want cos its a hobby^^|............
    DSLR newbie: 400D + Tamron 18-200mm + 50mm F1.8 (i simply love it!)
    Canon G2

  9. #9

    Default

    Originally posted by Freed
    Dun visit clubsnaps hehe

    I have been into photography for quite a while, the only things I bought after I got my camera was necessary lenses, 1 wide and 1 tele, at intervals of like 1 - 2 years when I have the $$$

    But since I come here, hehe, feel the urge to upgrade leh... after reading so many posts... but then again, I never did upgrade. Cos I got NO $$$

    Hehe, , seriously, just have to ask urself if u need the upgrade. Or are ur current gear sufficient.
    I seriously do agree with u..............
    DSLR newbie: 400D + Tamron 18-200mm + 50mm F1.8 (i simply love it!)
    Canon G2

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Tampines
    Posts
    602

    Default

    Yep..I agree its a budget vs needs thing. If you have the extra cash, and u feel that u have out grown your camera, then u can upgrade. But this brings us to a qn, what is 'outgrown'? I feel that it occurs when u feel that certain technical limitations are preventing u to do something.

    ClubSnap is definitely a bad influence! But i always consider 2nd hand products are cheaper.

    Ahh...the vicious cycle of upgrading. I think is the same for many things..houses, cars, photography, computers, etc etc etc etc..
    For what? All for the name of hobby.

    Regards

  11. #11

    Default

    Originally posted by Wryer
    Yep..I agree its a budget vs needs thing. If you have the extra cash, and u feel that u have out grown your camera, then u can upgrade. But this brings us to a qn, what is 'outgrown'? I feel that it occurs when u feel that certain technical limitations are preventing u to do something.

    ClubSnap is definitely a bad influence! But i always consider 2nd hand products are cheaper.

    Ahh...the vicious cycle of upgrading. I think is the same for many things..houses, cars, photography, computers, etc etc etc etc..
    For what? All for the name of hobby.

    Regards
    wah
    ppl upgrade houses as a hobby ah?

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Tampines
    Posts
    602

    Default

    haha...got lah. Im sure there are ppl who do that. Esp those diamond bachelors aka zhuan shi wang lao wu. The furnishes, reno, furniture..etc..

    All kinds of hobby oso have one mah..some hobbies may seems absurb to some, some may find it nice. I told my friends my passion is at photography..they will go..'sure boh?'

    well..

  13. #13

    Default Re: how to stop upgrading crazz?

    Originally posted by digi~ET
    personally......experience the urge to upgrade many times liao......keep suppressing but it comes very fast........

    any great ways?

    what we always hear is snap snap snap......

    ask urself whether u have out grow ur camera.......

    actual fact, we all know that it is just urge.......and we know the reasoning to "why dun upgrade" ......but the urge is always greater than the reasoning right?

    know is one thing, but the heart says the other!
    ha.......craz craz craz.

    for the moment, after looking at more A40 shots.......i suppressed the urge again.....but i know it will be back, sooner or later!

    sometimes.........so troubled, I would jokingly say "give up give up! sell all away, dun play liao!" .......of cost, joking only^^
    Remove the buy/sell thread.

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Some equitorial, tropical isle
    Posts
    2,398

    Default

    *sigh*.... just buy when you have the $$$.
    Skip one generation to save and buy the next generation's.
    In between take more photos to lower your cost using zplus' Theory of Cheap Cameras...


    Zplus' Theory of Cheap Camera:
    Say you buy a digital camera for S$1000. Then you only take one photo. That single photo costs S$1000!!!

    You take another photo and.... its now only S$500 per photo!

    Urmmm... you go on like this until you have taken you've hit 10,000 pictures, then each shot is only 10 cents. So your camera now has earned its worth. By then its time to upgrade!


    Of course if you make money from your camera... then you will be able to earn its worth faster!

  15. #15

    Default

    like that? then i am very near it wo........

    according to cf record, i have taken about 3.5K ++ pictures.......

    and my camera cost me $430

    so.............is near right?^^| so each of my pics is abt 12cents + +

    hahah.......

    and i believe many has reach it.
    Last edited by digi~ET; 2nd April 2003 at 10:11 PM.
    DSLR newbie: 400D + Tamron 18-200mm + 50mm F1.8 (i simply love it!)
    Canon G2

  16. #16

    Default

    Originally posted by digi~ET
    like that? then i am very near it wo........

    according to cf record, i have taken about 3.5K ++ pictures.......

    and my camera cost me $430

    so.............is near right?^^| so each of my pics is abt 12cents + +

    hahah.......
    Make each pic 1 cent then.

  17. #17

    Default

    Originally posted by togu
    Make each pic 1 cent then.

    hahah.....right right......^_^ hahhaa.......given trigger happiness, must make it 1cent or less.......^_^

    else many can upgrade liao right?
    DSLR newbie: 400D + Tamron 18-200mm + 50mm F1.8 (i simply love it!)
    Canon G2

  18. #18

    Default Mmmm Measurebation material....

    I was at Nikon to clean my D100 yesterday, picked up some camera porn from the showroom. Now I'm thinking of going back to film (less hassle). F5, F5, F5...

    Based on what I've already spent on D100 accessories I'll probably get a spare D100 to fool around with when the price drops to around 2k, unless its successor can use the same accessories.


    Mmmmmm

  19. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Some equitorial, tropical isle
    Posts
    2,398

    Default

    Originally posted by digi~ET

    so.............is near right?^^| so each of my pics is abt 12cents + +
    hahah.......
    and i believe many has reach it.
    Hahaha! self-justified liao! Buy buy buy!


    But seriously, buy what you need and can afford. Take more pictures and improve on skills. I think the A40 has lots of manual functions which is a good learning cam to grow into something better.

    Once you have learned all its tricks, can take good pics and find the features limiting... (plus you've hit 10cents or 1cent per pic)... then you can start looking around for something that can address your A40's limitation.

    On top of that, give yourself a week of cooling off after admiring the best, most expansive and feature packed camera. Then, take the plunge and buy. After you buy... shoot. Don't care about price anymore coz you've spent it liao.

    For me I had my S10 for ages until both my batts start to lose its charge. Then I bought the Nikon 775 coz its real cheap (UOB card offer) but found it limiting. While deciding to buy a G3.... I got a 2nd hand Sony U10 to hang around my neck. Then, when I needed the features I finally bought the G3. I will use this for about a year or so and then consider upgrade.

  20. #20
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Singapore & Hong Kong
    Posts
    903

    Default

    To stop.

    Please transfer all you cash to my Swiss Bank numbered account and wished it's new owner a happy spending spree.

    Then you desire to upgrade will be history, unless U print $$ lah.


Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •