Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: NTU to postpone exams for two weeks

Originally posted by imaginary_number
    This was what the polytechnic students used as well, if I remember correctly.
    This is like what my grandmother says. "dog following cat go catch mice."

i'm rather disppointed that the originator, if he/she is a university student, lacks such depth in thinking.

sigh...........

Originally posted by mervlam
    i'm rather disppointed that the originator, if he/she is a university student, lacks such depth in thinking.

sigh...........
    Actually, there is a difference. The poly students were going against something which was already decided by the Ministry of Education.

In this case, however, the originator merely seeked to show support for a decision previously made by the President of NTU which is now under review.

Angry

Beside concerning our health and other close one, we should also notice that if admin is retracting this, then whoever in NTU has lost the trustworthy by the world.

You come out and look for a job, the boss say you're hired. the next morning said: you're fired. If i remember correctly, you get use to this situation already because NTU is\was like that...

I was looking up our new president and so as our admin that give praise to Dr. Su. Now... seems like the real show has invited us to peep one of the dirtiest scene ever seen in NTU admin... shame of them, pity myself.

we shall see tomorrow at 4pm then.

Just to let everyone knows, the petition has been acknowledged by the admin. The decision is still not out though.

Whether the petition is legal-binding or not, at least it was a voice from some of the students, thousands in fact. Correct me if I am wrong, the petition started by the polytechnic students did reached MOE. Ultimately, it's not about legality, but just another form of avenue to voice one's opinion.

Regards.

Dr Su Guaning has released an email on his stand on the matter. NTU students can check it out on STARS.

Contrary to what many think, it seems that the move to postpone the exams is not an attempt to isolate the students. This explains why they did not close the school. Instead, the reason behind the consideration of postponement is to be fair to those students who have recently been to the SARS hotspots to voluntarily stay at home.

Originally posted by Bean
    Just to let everyone knows, the petition has been acknowledged by the admin. The decision is still not out though.

Whether the petition is legal-binding or not, at least it was a voice from some of the students, thousands in fact. Correct me if I am wrong, the petition started by the polytechnic students did reached MOE. Ultimately, it's not about legality, but just another form of avenue to voice one's opinion.

Regards.
    just take a good look at the endorsements in the "petition". some of them are demeaning.

do you call that a petition? if the originator has the guts, he should start a REAL petition with REAL people and REAL signatures and not start some virtual petition, where you have people hiding behind their computer screens and not dare stand out to speak and be heard.
    Last edited by mervlam; 3rd April 2003 at 05:43 PM.

ah su

make up yr mind lar...

Originally posted by FalseAlarm

ah su

make up yr mind lar...
    you very the slow leh... the exams are confirmed postponed liao lah.

It's on the news just now.

And Dr. Su is a respectable person, ok?

FalseAlarm ---> <--- mervlam
    Last edited by mervlam; 3rd April 2003 at 07:14 PM.

As he said during his inauguration, NTU should be for the students, instead of those ass at SAO!

when i him tat time he haben make the decision yet lor..
    see he need to be knock some sense in..haha

Yup i do respect him for this...

From the President - Postponement of Examinations

Hi NTU Students,

When I made the inaugural address, I did not expect that the principles that I laid out would be put to the test so soon.

On Friday, 28th March 2003, I said we have to create a new way of working. The organizational chart has to be inverted. As far as education is concerned, students come first.

At that very moment, the SARS issue was looming large in the Singaporean consciousness. The schools had been closed. An on-line petition was started by tertiary institution students to close them as well. The issues we were facing were psychological issues as much as medical ones. Many students were worried about the university remaining open.

Thus, when the Students Union came to me on Saturday asking for a forum to be held on SARS the following week, I welcomed the opportunity to have a direct dialogue with students to allay their concerns.

I consulted a number of the university leadership on Monday to inform them of the forum, so that we can support the students in organising the forum, as well as to discuss measures the university can take. Among the measures discussed was voluntary “quarantine” of people who have been to infected areas, as well as postponement of exams by two weeks.

The forum on Tuesday night was a lively one. I informed the students, among other things, of the measures we were taking to isolate those who have been to infected areas so that they can feel at ease going to lectures. To be fair to these students, I said we can postpone the examinations by two weeks.

On Wednesday we discussed with a larger group of the leadership the measures being taken, and suggestions were made on how to mitigate the concerns of students whose plans are affected by the postponement. Student Affairs Office sent out an email to students that we are looking into this.

Over the past two days we have had much feedback on this issue, especially after Student Affairs Office sent out my earlier message today to all students.

This afternoon I met the university leadership again to hear their views. Then I had a meeting with a select group of administrators and the President of the Students’ Union, the Chairman of the Students Council and the NTUSU VP for Welfare. This meeting was to make the final decision.

The meeting of the university administration with the student leadership has decided to stay with the original decision of postponing the exams by two weeks and take measures to help those affected as much as we can.

The review of the postponement decision was based on the initial student feedbacks after the Tuesday forum. Subsequently, it became clear that the majority of students support the postponement as originally announced. This was affirmed and argued strongly by the student leaders.

Examinations will begin on 30th April 2003 and end on 17th May 2003. Office of Academic Affairs will publish the new examination schedule, which will be essentially the current one with everything delayed by two weeks except for adjustment for the effect of holidays. (For example, those scheduled on 17th April will shift to 30th April instead of 1st May).

The Students Union will help the university administration mitigate the impact of the shift on students. Office of International Relations will make special arrangements for exchange students. NTU will also help as much as we can local students with rescheduling various matters, foreign students with financial difficulties due to the need to change flights, and any other cases. Due to the exceptional nature of this move, I will personally supervise these efforts by the Student Affairs Office to help our students.

Meanwhile, we shall be using this period to do all that we can to take measures to make the examinations as safe as possible, including disinfecting examination halls and putting into place control measures that will put the students at ease in taking their examinations.

I would like to thank our student leaders for rising to the occasion, and our administrative and academic leadership for supporting this difficult decision with their personal efforts and commitment. I hope the student body would appreciate the student leaders’ roles and give them even greater support in the next academic year.

Su Guaning

Thumbs up

Indeed.... a very very personal email received from our university president!!

so many years in NTU didn even see the ex-man Cham before. Dun even mention about a single mail from him.

Sincerely hope a change is slowly taking place and NTU is going to be fresher and newer than you would ever expect!!

Dr Su's speech at his inaugural address impressed me. he's the man who is going to bring NTU to greater heights.

However. don't forget that Dr Cham gave us NTU.

At first is:

yeah, as if the "online petition" thingy is going to be of use.

dont be naive and go study for your exams lah!
    and followed by:

This is like what my grandmother says. "dog following cat go catch mice."

sigh...........
    then is:

you very the slow leh... the exams are confirmed postponed liao lah.

It's on the news just now.

And Dr. Su is a respectable person, ok?

FalseAlarm ---> <--- mervlam
    not flaming, but I also get confused.

then, it is time for another person to start a petition to against the postponement?
    Last edited by 007; 4th April 2003 at 05:47 PM.

just take a good look at the endorsements in the "petition". some of them are demeaning.

do you call that a petition? if the originator has the guts, he should start a REAL petition with REAL people and REAL signatures and not start some virtual petition, where you have people hiding behind their computer screens and not dare stand out to speak and be heard.
    then read this. u should understand why.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123