Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 39 of 39

Thread: 18-55mm kit lens macro limitation?

  1. #21
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    westeries...
    Posts
    920

    Default Re: 18-55mm kit lens macro limitation?

    Quote Originally Posted by longko View Post
    Eh... What my doc says is true leh... I'm deaf on high pitch cause there's a constant high pitch sound in my ring (like ringing sounds in the ear.), this result to my deafness. So if I go deaf, I won't be able to be hear that ringing sound anymore This is what it happened to my doc's sister
    i thought you told me the last time you couldn't hear the high pitch sounds?
    so you have this constant high pitch sound in your hearing?
    poor thing..
    *sayang*

  2. #22
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Balestier
    Posts
    2,052

    Default Re: 18-55mm kit lens macro limitation?

    Quote Originally Posted by Snowywolf View Post
    i thought you told me the last time you couldn't hear the high pitch sounds?
    so you have this constant high pitch sound in your hearing?
    poor thing..
    *sayang*
    It's the ringing sound that makes my hearing inactive in high pitch. Think I'll loss my hearing gradually over many years (I hope).

  3. #23
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Serangoon Ave. 4
    Posts
    274

    Default Re: 18-55mm kit lens macro limitation?

    Quote Originally Posted by longko View Post
    Eh... What my doc says is true leh... I'm deaf on high pitch cause there's a constant high pitch sound in my ring (like ringing sounds in the ear.), this result to my deafness. So if I go deaf, I won't be able to be hear that ringing sound anymore:
    Hi Longko: you have my sympathy. I have the same thing! 'You are at the start of a long, long road', the ear specialist said, not very helpfully ...

    Tim

  4. #24

    Default Re: 18-55mm kit lens macro limitation?

    Just got my k100d w/kit lens, macro under low light is quite good, imho.


  5. #25
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    westeries...
    Posts
    920

    Default Re: 18-55mm kit lens macro limitation?

    Quote Originally Posted by hamustar View Post
    Just got my k100d w/kit lens, macro under low light is quite good, imho.

    macro??

  6. #26
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Balestier
    Posts
    2,052

    Default Re: 18-55mm kit lens macro limitation?

    Quote Originally Posted by Snowywolf View Post
    macro??
    It's actually more of a close-up. Many do not kow this, that the DA 18-55mm is capable of 1:3 (min focus distance 25cm) & DA 50-200mm is capable of 1:4 (min focus distance 1.1m)

    For those who can't seems to find a good use for the DA 50-200mm, could try chasing bigger butterflies (e.g. Lime or Demon) with it. It's fast & 1:4 is just right for bigger butterflies

  7. #27

    Default Re: 18-55mm kit lens macro limitation?

    Thanks. didnt know that. Thought that macro=closeup.

  8. #28
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    "River end"
    Posts
    4,249

    Default Re: 18-55mm kit lens macro limitation?

    Quote Originally Posted by hamustar View Post
    Thanks. didnt know that. Thought that macro=closeup.
    You are not wrong in your definition. However, true macro images are those that show the subject at a 1:1 or life size. To get the composition we want, normally we don't go up to 1:1, so it is close-up photography and itís not truly macro.

  9. #29

    Default Re: 18-55mm kit lens macro limitation?

    Quote Originally Posted by longko View Post
    It's the ringing sound that makes my hearing inactive in high pitch. Think I'll loss my hearing gradually over many years (I hope).
    Quote Originally Posted by timo View Post
    Hi Longko: you have my sympathy. I have the same thing! 'You are at the start of a long, long road', the ear specialist said, not very helpfully ...

    Tim
    Seems like i ain the only one around with hearing problem.
    Left ear deaf with right hearing going down the drain over the years... worse case than both of you so just try to take good care ya.
    Hope i still be able to hear the simplest sweetest words of all in time : i do, before i can't.

    Sorry for OT-ing... Can't help it...
    Last edited by slacker; 24th June 2007 at 11:03 AM.

  10. #30

    Default Re: 18-55mm kit lens macro limitation?

    Quote Originally Posted by istDeS View Post
    You are not wrong in your definition. However, true macro images are those that show the subject at a 1:1 or life size. To get the composition we want, normally we don't go up to 1:1, so it is close-up photography and itís not truly macro.
    My friend tried to explain macro to me several times but I still do not get it.
    What is meant by 1:1? Compared with what? Logically, the actual size would depend on where you are looking and how far way, so when you are taking photos in "macro" mode, how do you define 1:1 and why is this so important?
    - bLur

  11. #31

    Default Re: 18-55mm kit lens macro limitation?

    can we define "subject filling up most of the photo" = macro?

  12. #32

    Default Re: 18-55mm kit lens macro limitation?

    Quote Originally Posted by lizzy View Post
    can we define "subject filling up most of the photo" = macro?
    but any lens can do that...

  13. #33
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Balestier
    Posts
    2,052

    Default Re: 18-55mm kit lens macro limitation?

    Quote Originally Posted by slacker View Post
    Seems like i ain the only one around with hearing problem.
    Left ear deaf with right hearing going down the drain over the years... worse case than both of you so just try to take good care ya.
    Hope i still be able to hear the simplest sweetest words of all in time : i do, before i can't.

    Sorry for OT-ing... Can't help it...
    For bros like us, I recommend something. You know doctors tend to tell us to wear ear-plugs for this & that right? Well I always try to walk around (especially when alone) with a SE mobile MPH-70 earphone in my ears. It really protect me against those sudden incident when workers are working on roads, etc. And you get to listen to music or answer calls (normally I'll listen at 2 bars or 2.5, where people with no problem listens louder like 4 bars or more )

  14. #34
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Balestier
    Posts
    2,052

    Default Re: 18-55mm kit lens macro limitation?

    Quote Originally Posted by airconvent View Post
    My friend tried to explain macro to me several times but I still do not get it.
    What is meant by 1:1? Compared with what? Logically, the actual size would depend on where you are looking and how far way, so when you are taking photos in "macro" mode, how do you define 1:1 and why is this so important?
    - bLur
    1:1 is an international standard of photography since SLR days. If you take a shot of a grain of rice, you can expect the same size to fill-up the 35mm flim negative. That's why we call 1:1 life size. Macros are normally within >1:1 (larger than life) to 1:2. Most lens has a close-up of 1:3 to 1:10. Macros are used losely at times as a marketing gimmicks. That's also why people start saying true or dedicated macro lens, meaning lenses capable of doing 1:1

    Based on wiki, 1:4 can be considered macro.
    Last edited by longko; 24th June 2007 at 06:26 PM.

  15. #35
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    "River end"
    Posts
    4,249

    Default Re: 18-55mm kit lens macro limitation?


  16. #36

    Default Re: 18-55mm kit lens macro limitation?

    Quote Originally Posted by istDeS View Post
    Thanks istDeS,
    Thanks for the link. That's how my friend explained it also but how big the insect is would depend on the how far away you are and how much zoom you have set, correct ? If the 5mm ladybird is 50cm away, evidently it will not appear as 5mm on the sensor regardless of 1:1 or not...? Only at some point as you approach the ladybird will the size be 1:1 but only at that exact range..isn't it? That is why I am still confused what constitute a 1:1 macro lens.


  17. #37

    Default Re: 18-55mm kit lens macro limitation?

    Thanks for the link. That's quite chunky for a newbie to digest

    So does it mean that, from photos alone, cannot tell a True Macro vs a Close-up?

  18. #38
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Balestier
    Posts
    2,052

    Default Re: 18-55mm kit lens macro limitation?

    Quote Originally Posted by airconvent View Post
    Thanks istDeS,
    Thanks for the link. That's how my friend explained it also but how big the insect is would depend on the how far away you are and how much zoom you have set, correct ? If the 5mm ladybird is 50cm away, evidently it will not appear as 5mm on the sensor regardless of 1:1 or not...? Only at some point as you approach the ladybird will the size be 1:1 but only at that exact range..isn't it? That is why I am still confused what constitute a 1:1 macro lens.

    Regardless of focus length or working distance. If the subject is 5mm, as long u are using 1:1 (a true macro lens does not gives u 1:1 until you focus it all the way to 1:1), the whole 5mm will be taken onto your sensor size.

  19. #39
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Balestier
    Posts
    2,052

    Default Re: 18-55mm kit lens macro limitation?

    Quote Originally Posted by hamustar View Post
    Thanks for the link. That's quite chunky for a newbie to digest

    So does it mean that, from photos alone, cannot tell a True Macro vs a Close-up?
    Can & cannot. Fixed sized subject you should be able to guess, unless the person cropped away. It is hard since digital photography allows you to post process.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •