Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: Photos needing comments.

  1. #1

    Default The Stuntman

    Would like some feedback on the composition and photography techniques.


    Panned him to show movement and I was lucky enough to have caught him waving.
    I think it was one of my successful pans but I'm still working on the panning.

    C&C welcomed!

    (Note: I'm new here, so please do inform me of guidelines I did not follow because I may have forgotten some. Thanks!)
    Last edited by siewkiang; 14th June 2007 at 11:55 PM.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Volcano Land
    Posts
    2,351

    Default Re: Photos needing comments.

    Good attempt, but you need to practise more.

    A good pan would catch important details that are still sharp, it could be just the face, or it could be the entire person/vehicle/object depending on what you intended to achieve. In this shot, what I mentioned is definitely lacking.

    By the way is this picture cropped and enlarged? There seems to be alot of noise which is contributing further to the feel of "not sharp"...

    Composition-wise... I like the pose of the subject very much. Overall, i think less water in the foreground might work better. Landscape orientation too maybe?

  3. #3

    Default Re: Photos needing comments.

    Yup, it was cropped and editted. I had to zoom in a lot to capture him in action, perhaps that contributed to the noise. I'll take note and bear in mind of your comments when I go for a shoot at ECP next time!

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    3,717

    Default Re: Photos needing comments.

    Looking at the picture, i think the problem is that your panning action is not fast enough. I gathered this from the fact that the background, ie. trees etc, are not blurred enough. At the same time, the subject is blurred.

    Ideally, you shd be panning side by side in swift motion. Shutter speed, usually is around 1/30 or 1/60 for cars, so i presume, 1/30 shd be just abt right for this shot. If your cam can squeeze in say 3fps, by all means do it. Keep your posture and swing quickly and hope for the best! :P

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Where the wind blows...
    Posts
    4,528

    Default Re: Photos needing comments.

    Why dun you crop in landscape format to show the movement? Just my opinion.

  6. #6

    Default Re: Photos needing comments.

    nemesis32: I'm using a prosumer so I don't think I can fit 3fps. And I'll keep practising on my panning!

    lastboltnut: I found the photo and re-edited it. Is it better?

    EDIT: I re-edited this photo again. Is it better or worse?

    Last edited by siewkiang; 21st June 2007 at 04:34 PM.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Where the wind blows...
    Posts
    4,528

    Default Re: Photos needing comments.

    Hi, the ratio you cropped to is neither 4:3 (Most compact ratio) nor 3:2 (Most SLR ratio) leh....is that your intention? And I will try not to place the man right in the middle of the pic....I will try to place him more to the left, giving him space on the right to "move" into and also for the line. Rule of third seems good here.
    Last edited by lastboltnut; 20th June 2007 at 10:00 AM.

  8. #8

    Default Re: The Stuntman

    Dude , need a fast glass for this sport event leh...P&S still can use but not able to metered the fast action event, only by luck... some more you should be using in the zoom range... so your percentage to get a good shot is low.

  9. #9

    Default Re: The Stuntman

    even the person is not sharp, but i think it is a good panning shoot that convey the fast actions.

  10. #10

    Default Re: The Stuntman

    Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    Dude , need a fast glass for this sport event leh...P&S still can use but not able to metered the fast action event, only by luck... some more you should be using in the zoom range... so your percentage to get a good shot is low.
    I'm a girl. T-T So I count myself as a little lucky that the man is not completely blurred?

  11. #11

    Default Re: Photos needing comments.

    Quote Originally Posted by lastboltnut View Post
    Hi, the ratio you cropped to is neither 4:3 (Most compact ratio) nor 3:2 (Most SLR ratio) leh....is that your intention? And I will try not to place the man right in the middle of the pic....I will try to place him more to the left, giving him space on the right to "move" into and also for the line. Rule of third seems good here.
    Hmm okay. Will try abit more cropping again. Thanks for your advice.

  12. #12

    Default Re: The Stuntman

    Quote Originally Posted by LENS View Post
    even the person is not sharp, but i think it is a good panning shoot that convey the fast actions.
    Thanks! I think the guy was speeding. He was practically zooming around the pool.

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Where the wind blows...
    Posts
    4,528

    Default

    On problem, just sharing what I like and know.

    Quote Originally Posted by siewkiang View Post
    Hmm okay. Will try abit more cropping again. Thanks for your advice.
    Wow! 14yr old! Well done.....I was just shooting crap when I was 14

    Quote Originally Posted by siewkiang View Post
    I'm a girl. T-T So I count myself as a little lucky that the man is not completely blurred?
    Last edited by eikin; 23rd June 2007 at 12:18 AM.

  14. #14

    Default Re: Photos needing comments.

    There are much better photographers than me. I'm just lucky I have friends who are good at photography so I can leech their experience.

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    3,717

    Default Re: Photos needing comments.

    Quote Originally Posted by siewkiang View Post
    There are much better photographers than me. I'm just lucky I have friends who are good at photography so I can leech their experience.
    There's always better photographer out there. But they may not take a better pic than u. Moreover, whatever u like they may dislike and miss the shot altogether:P Just keep on shooting and you will improve.

    As for no 3fps.. it's not required but help to increase the chance of taking better panning pics. the most impt is to know what ur camera can do and work around it. Good photographers will learn how to work around its limitation.. Just like how the older generations can shoot timeless pics with just a manual camera and 50mm lens :P

  16. #16

    Default Re: Photos needing comments.

    Quote Originally Posted by nemesis32 View Post
    There's always better photographer out there. But they may not take a better pic than u. Moreover, whatever u like they may dislike and miss the shot altogether:P Just keep on shooting and you will improve.

    As for no 3fps.. it's not required but help to increase the chance of taking better panning pics. the most impt is to know what ur camera can do and work around it. Good photographers will learn how to work around its limitation.. Just like how the older generations can shoot timeless pics with just a manual camera and 50mm lens :P
    Woohoo! The old cameras are ly. Yup I will keep shooting when I am free and like, look at everything. All I see are the ways to see if triangles are similar or congruent.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •