View Poll Results: Do you think there will be a WW III?

Voters
138. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, probably in my life time.

    74 53.62%
  • Yes, but unlikely in my life time.

    39 28.26%
  • No.

    25 18.12%
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
Results 81 to 100 of 105

Thread: Do you think there will be a WW III?

  1. #81

    Default Re: Do you think there will be a WW III?

    That, unfortunately is something that's not in the foremost thoughts of the extremists & many other parties. There are many who thrive on war & would like that to happen so that they may implement their "new order".
    hasta la justicia siempre

  2. #82
    Member emirates's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Gutter .....
    Posts
    438

    Default Re: Do you think there will be a WW III?

    Quote Originally Posted by Paul_Yeo View Post
    Any sign of WWIII?
    yup, this time nuclear war!

  3. #83

    Default Re: Do you think there will be a WW III?

    If u want to talk about WWIII you have to foresee into the future, and the future can be a very different situation from what we are familiar with.

    For example Russia just imploded, and no one even think about Russia these days. The Russians are trying to re-assert themselves again, eg in Georgia, but it is mostly not in people's mental equation.

    So will the USA be just as forgotten tomorrow?

    Today they are a truly global power: even their domestic presidential election is so much a concern and followed in all the world, and who wins can affects your jobs and your careers, influence a nation's foreign and social polices, etc

    Can you imagine they go the way of Russia tomorrow and hardly remembered?

    I say that is possible, especially if this present Money crisis becomes Great Depression v2.0.

    Then what?

    Who will rise from the ashes?

    China?

    Maybe, maybe not. China forex is heavily invested in American securities too. China may also go the way of the USA.

    Then who?

    The oil producing countries? Oil can always sell - even more than gold. (And there will always be stupid people buying oil higher than market price when the price is dropping.) Equities, derivatives, futures, and even Money itself are all ephemeral, intangible, and meaningless.

    Suppose OPEC, or something equivalent, becomes the new G8 or G10 in a few years time. Then what?

    And yet again, maybe something else.

    Maybe Singapore will arise from the ashes and lead the world, through the instrument of the UN, and Singapore imposed its ruthlessly efficient, patriarchal, and condescending style of governance on all the world. And WWIII is UN led by Singapore against all those who refuse to pay fines.
    Last edited by espion; 11th October 2008 at 07:05 PM.

  4. #84

    Default Re: Do you think there will be a WW III?

    Actually, in this climate of world wide recession, some countries may actually want to start WWIII. Most WW are started by countries who are in dire economic situations.
    I have a near-mint Olympus E-620 Underwater Case for Sale. PM me for a great deal!

  5. #85
    Senior Member Sion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    新天地
    Posts
    4,768

    Default Re: Do you think there will be a WW III?

    Quote Originally Posted by emirates View Post
    yup, this time nuclear war!
    Yeah the bomb will be delivered by a flying veteran on a world war II Tiger Moth.


  6. #86
    Senior Member Sion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    新天地
    Posts
    4,768

    Default Re: Do you think there will be a WW III?

    Quote Originally Posted by Oly5050 View Post
    Actually, in this climate of world wide recession, some countries may actually want to start WWIII. Most WW are started by countries who are in dire economic situations.
    To keep the unemployed busy?

  7. #87
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    390

    Default Re: Do you think there will be a WW III?

    Quote Originally Posted by espion View Post
    If u want to talk about WWIII you have to foresee into the future, and the future can be a very different situation from what we are familiar with.

    For example Russia just imploded, and no one even think about Russia these days. The Russians are trying to re-assert themselves again, eg in Georgia, but it is mostly not in people's mental equation.

    So will the USA be just as forgotten tomorrow?

    Today they are a truly global power: even their domestic presidential election is so much a concern and followed in all the world, and who wins can affects your jobs and your careers, influence a nation's foreign and social polices, etc

    Can you imagine they go the way of Russia tomorrow and hardly remembered?

    I say that is possible, especially if this present Money crisis becomes Great Depression v2.0.

    Then what?

    Who will rise from the ashes?

    China?

    Maybe, maybe not. China forex is heavily invested in American securities too. China may also go the way of the USA.

    Then who?

    The oil producing countries? Oil can always sell - even more than gold. (And there will always be stupid people buying oil higher than market price when the price is dropping.) Equities, derivatives, futures, and even Money itself are all ephemeral, intangible, and meaningless.

    Suppose OPEC, or something equivalent, becomes the new G8 or G10 in a few years time. Then what?

    And yet again, maybe something else.

    Maybe Singapore will arise from the ashes and lead the world, through the instrument of the UN, and Singapore imposed its ruthlessly efficient, patriarchal, and condescending style of governance on all the world. And WWIII is UN led by Singapore against all those who refuse to pay fines.
    The psychology of human selfishness and greed at play.


  8. #88
    Senior Member Sion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    新天地
    Posts
    4,768

    Default Re: Do you think there will be a WW III?

    Quote Originally Posted by espion View Post
    Maybe Singapore will arise from the ashes and lead the world, through the instrument of the UN, and Singapore imposed its ruthlessly efficient, patriarchal, and condescending style of governance on all the world. And WWIII is UN led by Singapore against all those who refuse to pay fines.
    UN headquarters will have to be relocated to Sentosa then?

  9. #89

    Default Re: Do you think there will be a WW III?

    Quote Originally Posted by Sion View Post
    UN headquarters will have to be relocated to Sentosa then?
    More likely the refurbished once-IR on Marina Bay, or maybe somewhere in Serangoon Gardens.

  10. #90

    Default Re: Do you think there will be a WW III?

    And I cannot think how Osama is figured in all this, although I am sure he is an actor.

  11. #91
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Lakeside, Singapore
    Posts
    289

    Default Re: Do you think there will be a WW III?

    Quote Originally Posted by buddy View Post
    We dont need a WWIII. Mankind already killing themselves (and the environment) in other ways e.g SARS, AIDS, global warming, etc
    I fail to see how you can think that SARS and AIDS fall under "mankind killing themselves". Not to mention that SARS was nothing other than a puffed up media storm rather than a real, problematic human affliction. What about malaria, TB, influenza, cholera and typhoid? These diseases kill tens of thousands of people every year, but you wouldn't hear that from the eminent Straights Times.

    I think we can have a little bit more faith in humanity for a while yet.
    Cameras: Rollei 35, Rolleiflex-T, FinePix F700, Nikon D60, D300
    Pics: Churchwolf's Album.

  12. #92

    Default Re: Do you think there will be a WW III?

    ww3 has already started....

    iran making a bomb to wipe out isreal..... USA cant stop it.... isreal will strike first to protect themselves.... oil prices will shoot up as iran stop selling to USA and other coutries....

    USA themselves are a 1 bomb country...

    think about it....


    Iran wants a world without USA and Isreal....

  13. #93

    Default Re: Do you think there will be a WW III?

    Quote Originally Posted by zac08 View Post
    Iran isn't a likely one due to the fact tat there are already lots of eyes on them. Whatever they have aren't enough to give rise to a world war, local war perhaps but one concerning the whole world, that is another story.

    The worrisome ones are actually North Korea and China.

    Really?.... for one they don't even care.... to them caos is part of their plan.. even if they or many of their ppl have to die for caos to happen to them it is a good thing....

    they just have to turn off the oil, fire 1 nuclear bomb at USA and fire at isreal... i'm not saying it will happen i'm saying that it is very likely...

    <<

    "No need for the risk and difficulty of trying to smuggle a nuclear weapon over the border or hit a particular city. Just launch a cheap missile from a freighter in international waters ? al-Qaida is believed to own about 80 such vessels ? and make sure to get it a few miles in the air."

    The Iranian missile tests were more sophisticated and capable of detonation at higher elevations ? making them more dangerous.

    Detonated at a height of 60 to 500 kilometers above the continental U.S., one nuclear warhead could cripple the country ? knocking out electrical power and circuit boards and rendering the U.S. domestic communications impotent.

    "An electromagnetic pulse (EMP) attack on the American homeland, said one of the distinguished scientists who testified at the hearing, is one of only a few ways that the United States could be defeated by its enemies ? terrorist or otherwise," wrote Kyl "And it is probably the easiest. A single Scud missile, carrying a single nuclear weapon, detonated at the appropriate altitude, would interact with the Earth's atmosphere, producing an electromagnetic pulse radiating down to the surface at the speed of light. Depending on the location and size of the blast, the effect would be to knock out already stressed power grids and other electrical systems across much or even all of the continental United States, for months if not years."

    >>http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1390468/posts

    and other stuff that the gov will nv tell us in our papers...

  14. #94

    Default Re: Do you think there will be a WW III?

    I've heard this rumor a few times in my life from the elderly. i guessed they survived WWII.
    they told me that there once lived this guy who could predict the future almost accurately.
    and on his deathbed, he said that there will be a WWIII.

    if there really is...
    what will happen to our wives?!
    i will take it and run!

  15. #95
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    SGee
    Posts
    1,572

    Default Re: Do you think there will be a WW III?

    WWIII? i rather be zapped into ashes by aliens!

    the doomed version of Independance Day!!!

  16. #96
    Senior Member Sion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    新天地
    Posts
    4,768

    Default Re: Do you think there will be a WW III?

    Quote Originally Posted by sORe-EyEz View Post
    WWIII? i rather be zapped into ashes by aliens!

    the doomed version of Independance Day!!!
    We the proud residents of Seragoon Gardens have started to dig bomb shelters below our houses.

    Nothing can touch us. Not even the Aliens with their plastic zap zap guns.

  17. #97

    Default Re: Do you think there will be a WW III?

    it already happened, not in terms of physically warfare (that is outdated). now is the economical warfare, crush the country reserves left them with no $$ to even start a war and have to obiliged to legally taken over by bigger countries.

    lets see who survive this time, the turn of tide.

  18. #98

    Default Re: Do you think there will be a WW III?

    Gahmen say they will protect us de. Dont worry
    Meow!

  19. #99
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Singapore, east-ish
    Posts
    2,291

    Default Re: Do you think there will be a WW III?

    With the current Russian government publicly announcing a massive build-up in arms...i think there's likely to be a great arms race like the one during the Cold War

    ... but nope no 3rd World War.

  20. #100

    Default Re: Do you think there will be a WW III?

    Quote Originally Posted by curly87 View Post
    .....
    An atmospheric air-burst nuclear device would knock out all unshielded electrical circuits in its blast radius, with little or no radiation or physical blast damage, but I'd hardly say it'll knock out the whole of the US. The range of the pulse is simply not sufficient, no matter how many kilotons you squeeze into the device. No country would be insane enough to try it, or with any other form of weapon of mass destruction (chemical and biological weapons are considered WMD as well by the US), because, such devices are almost always used solely for political leverage, not actual deployment, because the use of such weapons runs the risk of drawing a response with similar weapon.(this is assuming we're refering to countries. Organisations, be it terrorist/extremist/fundamentalist/whatever, will have no such qualms)

    No, now that so many coutries possess nuclear weapons, i doubt WWIII will involve the deployment of strategic nuclear devices. Tatical nuclear devices, on the other hand, will probably be employed more liberally. But it'll probably escalate, so I'd say we've got an even chance of wiping ourselves (and almost everything else) off the face of the earth in the next "Great War"
    It is such a quiet thing to fall,
    But far more terrible is to admit it

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •