Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tripod - Checkin or hand carry on flight

Default Re: Tripod - Checkin or hand carry on flight

Quote Originally Posted by yanyewkay View Post
    when i asked the check in counter if I could hand carry my CF tripod. She said "no" got to check it in. However, when on the plane, I saw at least 1 other passenger who hand carried on his tripod approx the same length.
    Heh. The solution is don't ask. TSTG and just happily carry whatever you want up the plane.

Very simply said, the tripod does not take up a lot of space. Secondly it costs alot. And the airline doesn't want to take responsibility for any breakage or damage for checked-in baggage (with limited liability for stolen/lost item).

The equipment carried? 2 digital bodies, 1 film body, 6 lenses, 2 speedlights, 2 laptops, tripod. Equipment split amongst a Compurover and SR400. No questions asked by anybody. other than upon arrival. They asked whether I was trying to sell the items

have checked in my tripod numerious time from africa, europe, china etc...
    no problem.

Hi,

I am back.
    The tripod was tied to my Lowepro Mini trekker and I had another hand luggage in the form of a daypack. All these were shown to the staff at the check-in counter. I did not check-in the tripod as my check-in luggage was a 60lt backpack which may tear if the cargo handling staff mishandled it. It was the same on my return journey.

Cheers.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12