Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Car accident claim, need help urgently!

Default Re: Car accident claim, need help urgently!

From the look of it, the Honda looks like an old model where u are unlikely to find a new bumper. Usually, the workshop will go to a scrapyard to buy one and respray it. The total cost is about a few hundred dollars only. That guy is obviously trying to squeeze money from your dad by asking $2,000.

vince123123
    Guests

That's where you are wrong, they pay out quite easily. Haven't you read newspaper reports about people complaining that their company paid up without a fight?

From unsubstantiated sources, I also hear that companies have knock for knock policies - you may me this one, I pay you this one. After that, we get to reduce NCDs and load premiums for everyone and earn more money.

And if the same insurance company handles both cars, lagi better, left hand pay right hand, then deduct NCD and load next year.

I suggest express instructions be given if the person does not intend to allow his company to pay out.

Quote Originally Posted by Scaglietti View Post
    Don't worry lah... let the insurance company handle. They are the experts... they won't pay out that easily. The other guy might even failed to claim anything.

BC

vince123123
    Guests

Erm, how does adding anything make the claim unsustainable? If I drive a paper car and you damage and injure me in the process, I doubt it is a defence to say that I should have driven a tank.

Anyway from what I see, it looks like the whole bumper needs to be replaced. I suggest you ask your insurance company for a copy of the IDAC report so you can assess it yourself.

A bumper costing S$2k, even from the original first party company, sounds rather high.

Quote Originally Posted by huggable View Post
    The civic bumper has cracked, and has to be replaced. Putty and respray, and it'll crack very easily. However, looks like the owner added a bumper strip? Play scare with him, tell him that because he installed the bumper strip, he'll have to pay for the bumper replacement should he make a claim, as the strip caused more impact, and caused the bumper to crack. Offer a S$500 for private settlement, take it or leave it.

Quote Originally Posted by vince123123 View Post
    Erm, how does adding anything make the claim unsustainable? If I drive a paper car and you damage and injure me in the process, I doubt it is a defence to say that I should have driven a tank.

Anyway from what I see, it looks like the whole bumper needs to be replaced. I suggest you ask your insurance company for a copy of the IDAC report so you can assess it yourself.

A bumper costing S$2k, even from the original first party company, sounds rather high.
    Got one.Look at J's Racing S2000 bumper.......

young man...relax...

if your intention is to save money...then imagine this...if i am the insurance coy / damage inspector/evaulator/surveyor, whatever u call them..

1) I will take a look @ the damage and read the report and see what is written in the reported.

2) I will make/evaluate the case based on what i can see in the photo, the damage and the written report. Then i will conclude on the case based on what I can 'see'.

3) Then i will ask, is there any 3rd party independent witness, if yes, i will take into account of their word...REMEMBER, it's INDEPENTENT witess.

Then i will award the claims according, should it be 100% or 50/50%...

So next time.....just keep cool and read the situation...ah beng is ah beng for a reason...

cheers...
    KM

It does not cost 2000 to fix that.... he most likely offloaded every single thing possible to be done on his car onto your dad. It is a common modus operadi among beng drivers..... hit someone or get hit, scold, see is uncle.... blur blur no response..... ho say liao.... bumper, tires, everything all claim to you.....

Actually come think of it, can just ignore that burger and ask him go ahead to claim from your insurance....you max liability is your excess(usually $300 to $500) and NCD (0-50% of your annual premium) which I believe cost much lesser than that

if the $2k includes loss of use of vehicle while the car is in the workshop, the price is reasonable.

nevertheless, go through insurance. It is better than settling privately.
    settle privately, no end to it.

vince123123
    Guests

Don't also forget that with every claim, there is a chance that your premium itself will go up the next year, so its not just NCD you lose.

e.g. Before accident - 50% NCD of S$1000 premium - you pay S$500
    After accident - 0% NCD of 1,200 premium (loaded now) - you pay S$1,200

This is assuming it is 50 to 0 straight, some policies give a 50 to 20 under some conditions.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Kahuna View Post
    Actually come think of it, can just ignore that burger and ask him go ahead to claim from your insurance....you max liability is your excess(usually $300 to $500) and NCD (0-50% of your annual premium) which I believe cost much lesser than that

Send the car to your dad's workshop.

I would suggest,

a. ask him to breakdown the $2000. If could included lost of income, transportation while his car is in the workshop ,etc. Also, does he have an official quote? or it is just an estimate?

b. get a second quote for the replacement of the bumper (if I'm the owner of the civic, I would not want it patched back. The patch portion will crack easily). Replacement of the bumper might be cheaper than $2K. Then add a token sum for his troubles.

As to claim insurance or not, do the math. Most likely, your dad's NCB will drop to 30% next year and be at 40% the following year. He will only get back to 50% on the 3rd year. Also, your dad might have to pay the deductable (this depends on the insurance policy). Is this more than the cost of the repair?

HTH

Not $20,000 meh? Get him to claim the insurance, he won't get more than $500.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stratix View Post
    my dad was reversing the car, while the honda guy came in from the back. my dad reversed and knocked into him (why dont people horn when they see cars going in their direction?)

then my dad's car kissed his front.

then this young punk came out and kbkp swear and scold at my dad + all my ancestors etc. my dad is that type that let him scold lor.

then this young punk asked his friend to come, whom also drive an identical Civic, save for the wheels, everything is the SAME. his friend asked my dad if he were to pay up now and settle privately. my dad said better to send for a quote and go the IDAC way. that guy today went for a quote and told my dad it's 2000++ for the damage.

then he come ask my dad if he wants to pay up and settle. my dad say go claim lor.

Just to share,
    A Honda reserve and hit me at carpark despite me pressing on my horn. Claim insurance n the guy claim I hit him. End of the day is a 50/50 claim.

In Singapore, the one wif damage at the rear had the say unless there's third party witness to support the rear car or the driver charge for traffic offence (dun be drunk drinking cos insurance dun cover)............Heard all tis things from lawyers n workshops.
    Minolta 7D Noob
    WWW.TERRYCHUA.COM

How old is the other party's car?
    Quote Originally Posted by Stratix View Post
    yea, i posted this on another forums, but want to gather more views and advices!

Ok, cut long story short, my dad had accidentally knocked onto someone's Honda Civic (not new one, but the EK9 that generation...) and today he was told that the other guy asked for a $2000++ claim from my dad's insurance!

btw, i'm not some expert in this field, but common sense would know that it's too much to claim 2000 bucks for this damage.

anyway, here's the only scar the car sustained:

and just incase you want to know, my dad got this damage, and he paid less then $500 (cash) and got it fixed the same day:

thank you in advance!

Ask the chap why it cost 2K ? You did not tell us the details... he might have installed something that is behind the bumper .....the spot light maybe damage...

erh...sounds like a staged con job from the young punks ..did the other party inflat the repair job for the extra $?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12