Thread: Abandoned

Cool Abandoned

Abandoned habitat..comments please.

it'll be better to adjust the slanted picture on the right

A minor comment: the font that you used for the word "Abandoned" conveys a feeling of modern/hip/cool, which clashes with the mood you are trying to portray.

More importantly, there is too much light in the photos. Light is typically associated with hope and cheerfulness, again clashing with your theme of abandonment.

Default Thanks

Originally posted by Pokka
    it'll be better to adjust the slanted picture on the right
    Thanks for the pointer...the right picture was deliberately tilted to show the roominess and the isolated TV I had placed there.

Thought slanting it could portray the abstract feel. The photo on the left would be perfectly straight to distintively stand out as the rags and clothes portray a sense of abandonement. That was why I repeated the word 'abandoned'.

Thanks for your advice though...

Default Light

Originally posted by ckhaos
    A minor comment: the font that you used for the word "Abandoned" conveys a feeling of modern/hip/cool, which clashes with the mood you are trying to portray.

More importantly, there is too much light in the photos. Light is typically associated with hope and cheerfulness, again clashing with your theme of abandonment.
    \

Thanks.. will take note

But if it was totally dark, I had thought it would lose the spacial quality of the rooms...so i opened the doors a little to allow strong light to shine in contrast to the shadowy areas.

What do you think?

For the left picture, I'll prefer a tighter crop on the ceiling, seems like too much space on top. You might want to include more of the room details instead, the current composition with so little room space doesn't really give an empty feeling. With your current title, I find the clothings a bit distracting , it snatches all the attention away.

For the right picture, sorry to said that the slight tilt somehow looks like camera not being hold properly. Not sure if a 45 degree tilt will bring out your intention instead. Will prefer the rug not to be cut off.

Personally find the lights in both pictures too strong, causing some details and most importantly, the mood of the pictures, lost.

Overall feel of both pictures is that, they doesn't match with the title. To bring out the roominess feeling, you'll need to include more room space, perhaps with your wide angle, or try to move backwards a bit. Alternatively, find a bigger room.

However, it's definitely a good try. Shoot more!!

Just my 0.02 cents.

Your pictures look too "uplifting" to be "abandoned."

Default Thanks

Thanks Tommy.

Will try again....abstracts are a good way to build up composition I think...makes one think before shooting.

On second look...it does look too bright. I imagined and yes 45 degrees would unquestionably spell out my intentions...
    Originally posted by togu
    For the left picture, I'll prefer a tighter crop on the ceiling, seems like too much space on top. You might want to include more of the room details instead, the current composition with so little room space doesn't really give an empty feeling. With your current title, I find the clothings a bit distracting , it snatches all the attention away.

For the right picture, sorry to said that the slight tilt somehow looks like camera not being hold properly. Not sure if a 45 degree tilt will bring out your intention instead. Will prefer the rug not to be cut off.

Personally find the lights in both pictures too strong, causing some details and most importantly, the mood of the pictures, lost.

Overall feel of both pictures is that, they doesn't match with the title. To bring out the roominess feeling, you'll need to include more room space, perhaps with your wide angle, or try to move backwards a bit. Alternatively, find a bigger room.

However, it's definitely a good try. Shoot more!!

Just my 0.02 cents.

Default Giantnookie

Originally posted by Giantnookie
    Your pictures look too "uplifting" to be "abandoned."
    Thanks Giant...third person to confirm that the lighting is too bright to bring out the 'abandoning'. I see that point now...well...will carry on trying!

Sincerely thank everyone who have given advice...everyday learn something new.

hi northernlights,

don't mean to spoil your party,
    but the picture on the left doens't convey to me a sense of abandonment at all.

the "rags" look like laundry hung out to dry = people are still living in it, although rather simply.

If it was a poor man's hideout, or workers' quarters it might better.
    because it does look like a container.

the picture on the right has a very unnerving slant to it which is good, coz it makes me the viewer feel uncomfortable and unbalanced. but still the idea of abandonment doens't come across to me that well.

Even if the room was abandoned, it has that recently lived in look - clothes hanged, a tv set that has a relatively CLEAN screen - you can see the reflection of the light on it -

these little nuances all concur to make your title abandoned not entirely fitting.

yeah it may have been abandoned, but it's also the natural consequence of having a project being completed and the workers have left - assuming that it was a workers quarters.

if there was a place that was abandoned for unnatural reasons - which would then lead to questions in my head (why?) and then you ANSWER in your photos, then i'd say that you've done an excellent job.

and i also like the way that u probably squatted down to take the pic instead of the usual stand, aim and fire. it shows in your second picture.

nonetheless, i think it's a good try but just work on small details before trying to use a single shot or 2 shots to convey an abstract idea.

cheers man.
    just offering my opinions, hope u're not offended.

Smile Thanks man! appreciate

Originally posted by karab
    hi northernlights,

don't mean to spoil your party,
    but the picture on the left doens't convey to me a sense of abandonment at all.

the "rags" look like laundry hung out to dry = people are still living in it, although rather simply.

If it was a poor man's hideout, or workers' quarters it might better.
    because it does look like a container.

the picture on the right has a very unnerving slant to it which is good, coz it makes me the viewer feel uncomfortable and unbalanced. but still the idea of abandonment doens't come across to me that well.

Even if the room was abandoned, it has that recently lived in look - clothes hanged, a tv set that has a relatively CLEAN screen - you can see the reflection of the light on it -

these little nuances all concur to make your title abandoned not entirely fitting.

yeah it may have been abandoned, but it's also the natural consequence of having a project being completed and the workers have left - assuming that it was a workers quarters.

if there was a place that was abandoned for unnatural reasons - which would then lead to questions in my head (why?) and then you ANSWER in your photos, then i'd say that you've done an excellent job.

and i also like the way that u probably squatted down to take the pic instead of the usual stand, aim and fire. it shows in your second picture.

nonetheless, i think it's a good try but just work on small details before trying to use a single shot or 2 shots to convey an abstract idea.

cheers man.
    just offering my opinions, hope u're not offended.
    Thanks Karab...actually you have given me more insight into composing a picture for an abstract composition.

I now have much to think about...very very useful..really. I am here to learn from everyone...so please speak your mind if not, I will never improve.