Thread: My very first critique shot

Default My very first critique shot

Hi all,

Just some background info. I got my very first DSLR recently and have been trying to get some practice in. I was home today (on MC ) when I noticed this wilted flower sitting nicely on my balcony railing, so I whipped out my camera and took a few shots, before finally deciding on this one.

I was trying to contrast the wilted flower with the water behind (life vs death). I would sincerely appreciate any comments on this photograph, thanks!

Oh 1 question, should I have cropped the photo to remove the green bits on the bottom right? I felt they were a bit out of place and distracting, but decided to leave the photo whole for the time being. Thanks!

Default Re: My very first critique shot

IMO it will looks nice if you crop the left bottom area so leave only the black portion.
    And ofcourse....the flower try make it with the fresh one

The mix of colours are pleasing, and the slant of the rail and its lines help bring attention to the flower. However, if the intention is to show water then it is not recognizable because it's highly out of focus.
    "...not taking what one doesn't desire is the hardest thing in the world" - Albert Camus

Thanks for your replies. I see what you mean by the unrecognisable blue blob :P

But do you think the image would work better with the water in focus, or out of focus?

u r so philosophical.
    visually, colors r good,
    but would it b better if u get a nicer flower
    instead of the wilted one ?

TS already said it is to show contrast between life and death not to show off the pretty flower? How would using a fresher or nicer looking flower help?

wat i m saying is no need to b philosophical.
    jus get an awesome pic, a nicer flower is in the rite direction.

nice contrast of colours in this one and perhaps you could've kept the entire flower in focus to make it better?

Well, won't know till it's tried. Re-stage the life vs. death scene? Maybe can use different props

Quote Originally Posted by geekgeek View Post
    Thanks for your replies. I see what you mean by the unrecognisable blue blob :P

But do you think the image would work better with the water in focus, or out of focus?
    "...not taking what one doesn't desire is the hardest thing in the world" - Albert Camus

I like the strong lines and colours of this shot. There's a little of everything, red, blue, green, black, white..

A reflector used at the time of capture to maybe reduce the shadow cast by the flower would have been good...

This shot appeals to me because of the pleasing colour palette, where the red of the flower contrasts nicely with the cool blue of the water. The light touch of mild green at the bottom right blends in nicely with the rest of the colours too and does not irritate. As others have mentioned, the diagonal lines have good visual impact and serve to draw attention to your subject.

My only gripe, though it is very minor, is that there is a black blob next to the flower which unfortunately creates some level of irritation due to it's proximity to the flower.

Otherwise, well done for your first critique post.