Thread: close up filters

Default close up filters

What close up filters would you recommend?

And.. tell me about them.

Default Re: close up filters

It really depends on your budget & how many magnificiation you are after. If you are only looking for 1:1 macros, get a new vintage lens like Vivitar 105mm for US$215 (w/shipping). A good close-up filter like Canon 250D/500D will cost you like >S$150. You'll lose working distance, image quality & light. I have a Raynox DCR-250, which I use now and then to get >2:1 macro. But due to the glass size of 42mm (if I recall correctly), it's not ideal on a DSLR.

Quote Originally Posted by longko View Post
    It really depends on your budget & how many magnificiation you are after. If you are only looking for 1:1 macros, get a new vintage lens like Vivitar 105mm for US$215 (w/shipping). A good close-up filter like Canon 250D/500D will cost you like >S$150. You'll lose working distance, image quality & light. I have a Raynox DCR-250, which I use now and then to get >2:1 macro. But due to the glass size of 42mm (if I recall correctly), it's not ideal on a DSLR.
    eeks.

have you got the vivtar? how does it compare to your tamron 90?

Quote Originally Posted by dnaxe View Post
    eeks.

have you got the vivtar? how does it compare to your tamron 90?
    Tamron 90mm Di is sharper & lighter. The vivitar gives better color, brighter & very well-build. I gave the Tamron 90mm Di to my gf and kept the Vivitar 105mm for myself

Quote Originally Posted by longko View Post
    Tamron 90mm Di is sharper & lighter. The vivitar gives better color, brighter & very well-build. I gave the Tamron 90mm Di to my gf and kept the Vivitar 105mm for myself
    lol.

so you actually prefer the vivtar! gosh.

Quote Originally Posted by dnaxe View Post
    lol.

so you actually prefer the vivtar! gosh.
    I take alot of macros in dim light condition, it really help MF to have a bright lens.