Thread: Politics in Photo Societies

vince123123
    Guests

Default Re: Politics in Photo Societies

Oh, Photographic Society of Singapore?

And the new school is Knowledge Bowl?

Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    I'm referring to your question,

you should able to find the answers in here.

if you want to know the "at first like this and like that, and than later become like this and like that." you have to wait for TS to tell you.

Quote Originally Posted by truth-photographer View Post
    i also cannot imagine what will happen to the courses there when he is not teaching there in future and who will organise all those activities. Most of the others really cannot make it. He is such an excellent and popular instructor and anyone can hardly wonder who can fill his posts. Anyone can easily associate the society's accelerated progress to him and his helpers for the past few years.

We met frequently with guru and our buddies for tea. He is always so faithful to the society and contributed so much. So sad to see him so sad about the issue nowadays, like losing a child. We have always warned him to not to get too involved and mind his own business as people will not be appreciative. I told him to channel his energies in making his new venture a success which I am glad he did.

Real gold is not afraid of fire.

It also took me and my gang so long to realise the ultimate truth of societies which made us decide to quit this society and finally boycott the society's courses and activities.

We no longer find any prestige in being its member. I rather use the membership fee to buy a few lense pens.
    Erm.... prestige?

Hold on a second, maybe I'm pretty dumb and oblivious to such things but prestige when joining long established clubs/societies? I'm not very sure what and where does the prestige lie other than the fact that "I'm a member of so-&-so."

Yes, a member. But a member of a long-standing society doesn't exactly translate into raw skill other than association by name.

Actually I personally feel that joining artistic clubs, societies and stuff liddat are pretty much nothing more than just ego boosters to puff oneself up, maybe hold the membership card damn shiok, I dunno. But rather than filling oneself under skin with hot air and floating sky-high, wun it be better if one use the time to seek out a good teacher (which u'd probably did) and learn all u can from him/her and bring his/her skills up to the next level.... your level?

Name & Fame. Sometimes I do wonder abt the existence of clubs & societies when in reality, its simply the political playground of members seeking power, name, fame & position over knowledge, which photography shld be all about - discovering oneself behind the wall of knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by jsbn View Post
    Erm.... prestige?

Hold on a second, maybe I'm pretty dumb and oblivious to such things but prestige when joining long established clubs/societies? I'm not very sure what and where does the prestige lie other than the fact that "I'm a member of so-&-so."

Yes, a member. But a member of a long-standing society doesn't exactly translate into raw skill other than association by name.

Actually I personally feel that joining artistic clubs, societies and stuff liddat are pretty much nothing more than just ego boosters to puff oneself up, maybe hold the membership card damn shiok, I dunno. But rather than filling oneself under skin with hot air and floating sky-high, wun it be better if one use the time to seek out a good teacher (which u'd probably did) and learn all u can from him/her and bring his/her skills up to the next level.... your level?

Name & Fame. Sometimes I do wonder abt the existence of clubs & societies when in reality, its simply the political playground of members seeking power, name, fame & position over knowledge, which photography shld be all about - discovering oneself behind the wall of knowledge.
    Well said. One would not go any poorer without a club title. But with a committee badge, it could be an easier entry to exclusive commercial works. So perhaps that's where politics begun.

That being said, I still enjoy those good old days sharing 4R photos on Friday evenings. A member could feel it when a snr member started flipping at lightning speed and then ask for "anymore?" LOL

Quote Originally Posted by contaxable View Post
    One would not go any poorer without a club title.
    What would a Jedi be with the knighthood?

In most cases, societies function no more than a tool for a group of individuals to fulfill their power trip. They do absolutely nothing to promote the craft. You're better off on your own.

Quote Originally Posted by jsbn View Post
    Erm.... prestige?

hahahahaha

good one!
    You'll Never Walk Alone! - i have the best job in the world!

Quote Originally Posted by Sion View Post
    What would a Jedi be with the knighthood?
    If the Jedi Council had not been wrecked by the Sith, would Obi-wan Kenobi learn the secret of absolute immortality given that he would probably be a Jedi Master and busy with other matters than training?

well well well. No doubt it is better off for my guru to FINALLY heed our advice and start off on his own. At least he organise things without much restriction. i can hardly imagine how can things can get started when there are more than 10 decision makers! Worst if the Council cannot compromise.

Life is short. Work hard and play hard, and not play politics hard. Read the annual report and there is a slight dip in membership.

Read the annual report and there is a slight dip in membership.
    They have gone to join the Rebel Alliance called The Forumites?

well well well. No doubt it is better off for my guru to FINALLY heed our advice and start off on his own. At least he organise things without much restriction. i can hardly imagine how can things can get started when there are more than 10 decision makers! Worst if the Council cannot compromise.

Life is short. Work hard and play hard, and not play politics hard. Read the annual report and there is a slight dip in membership.
    You have your guru. You have your gang. Everybody have their own guru and their own gang. All join one society liddat sure got politics one. Every guru got their own supporter.

If one likes photography, go out and shoot. No need to join society (unless got free gift).

wat free gifts r u looking at? lol

who knows...that could be a draw to attract more members?

Because of the disdain some photographers have for photo societies, some of them have formed their own photo secret societies. Members are admitted by an elaborate initiation ceremony in which the head of white cockerel is slained and incense is burnt in the midst of chanting.

The members of the photo secret societies wear yellow Nikon headbands and communicate with each other in hand signals. Even the models they hire have to be blinded folded and led to the unnamed studio.

Quote Originally Posted by 3rdRock View Post
    wat free gifts r u looking at? lol

who knows...that could be a draw to attract more members?
    ang pow can already lar..

Quote Originally Posted by Sion View Post
    Because of the disdain some photographers have for photo societies, some of them have formed their own photo secret societies. Members are admitted by an elaborate initiation ceremony in which the head of white cockerel is slained and incense is burnt in the midst of chanting.

The members of the photo secret societies wear yellow Nikon headbands and communicate with each other in hand signals. Even the models they hire have to be blinded folded and led to the unnamed studio.
    You forgot the secret handshake
    ooh.. and the blue goggles with scarf and revealing man breasts
    The society is called the Priory of Sion

Quote Originally Posted by seankyh View Post
    You have your guru. You have your gang. Everybody have their own guru and their own gang. All join one society liddat sure got politics one. Every guru got their own supporter.

didn't know photography can be so complicated with all the gurus and gangs, sure is entertaining

If one likes photography, go out and shoot. No need to join society (unless got free gift).
    well said i also think a healthy exchange of ideas is more important than looking for gurus to follow, people coming together don't always need to result in forming of societies and gangs

Quote Originally Posted by eikin View Post

didn't know photography can be so complicated with all the gurus and gangs, sure is entertaining

well said i also think a healthy exchange of ideas is more important than looking for gurus to follow, people coming together don't always need to result in forming of societies and gangs
    BTW, is NLPC still functioning? Now that is one group I won't mind joining. Looks like a fun bunch of people with interesting outing locations.

ang pow can already lar..
    Don't forget you have to pay "Protection Money" to the photo society.

Wah! now we moved from Star Wars to secret societies!

how exciting.....heeehee.....

BTW, is NLPC still functioning? Now that is one group I won't mind joining. Looks like a fun bunch of people with interesting outing locations.
    unfortunately not i don't mind mentioning, but the bulk of the members have become busy with family and work (some making babies ) and also due to changes in demarcation of the GRC areas, i believe the room in the CC has been moved together with the CC since the club was operating under the CC, need to ask members in Singapore for more information since I've been out of Singapore for some time other than 2 short trips back so far.

i'll say it's currently in the freezer will revive the club when opportunity comes since we still have the contacts.

have to admit it's not easy to run a club, especially one without a strict hierarchy, need alot of commitments from all parties, but i still believe it's not impossible!
    Last edited by eikin; 14th June 2007 at 05:45 PM.

something's... hmmm... weird.

i also cannot imagine what will happen to the courses there when he is not teaching there in future and who will organise all those activities. Most of the others really cannot make it. He is such an excellent and popular instructor and anyone can hardly wonder who can fill his posts. Anyone can easily associate the society's accelerated progress to him and his helpers for the past few years.
    u mean to say he's the only GOOD mentor there?

We met frequently with guru and our buddies for tea. He is always so faithful to the society and contributed so much. So sad to see him so sad about the issue nowadays, like losing a child. We have always warned him to not to get too involved and mind his own business as people will not be appreciative. I told him to channel his energies in making his new venture a success which I am glad he did.
    if he is really 'that' faithful and true, y leave the society in the first place?

he should be channeling his energy and effort, as u haf said so, into his works instead of politics!

so, in the end, his students are the one to suffer.

Real gold is not afraid of fire.
    oh yes, i'm sure the society will be back with a bang.

It also took me and my gang so long to realise the ultimate truth of societies which made us decide to quit this society and finally boycott the society's courses and activities.

We no longer find any prestige in being its member. I rather use the membership fee to buy a few lense pens.
    u mean u've been hoodwinked all along? i still remember a few threads ago, u were singing the praises of this society, promoting it and the mentioned instructor.

but before that...
    u were slamming SLCC.

hmmmmmmm... and now it has come full circle?

aren't we all political, with u urself included?
    my advice to u would be not to continue slamming the mentioned society and to lay off ur assaults.

the coin has 2 sides. obviously, some of us do too.
    You'll Never Walk Alone! - i have the best job in the world!

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 234569 ... LastLast