Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: Autofocus

  1. #1

    Default Autofocus

    Hi guys, sorry if this is a stupid question...but need to get this off my brain..

    I have yet to buy a camera and have been thinking abt either D40 or D80. From what i understand, D40 can only autofocus with limited lenses. And D80 can autofocus with many lenses. And many people go for D80 cos it can AF very well with many lenses.

    1 question, I am puzzled and surprised that many people are using autofocus instead of doing it manually. Before my research, I always tot that you guys do it manually. Is autofocus very impt?

    Thanks!

  2. #2

    Default Re: Autofocus

    Well, "purists" will say Manual focus is the best. But manual focus is difficult for those quick action shots.

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Woodlands
    Posts
    765

    Default Re: Autofocus

    Nowadays, the technology for autofocusing is very advanced. It allows people to focus with incredible speed and precision, and thus more people rely on autofocusing instead. However there are still situations that people may still rely on manual focusing. This is especially so as the resolution of digital sensors are so high nowadays that the tolerance for mis-focusing is very low. Thus autofocusing is a more reliable than manual focusing.

  4. #4
    Member/Tangshooter
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Punggol 21
    Posts
    2,946

    Default Re: Autofocus

    Quote Originally Posted by jofeny View Post
    Hi guys, sorry if this is a stupid question...but need to get this off my brain..

    I have yet to buy a camera and have been thinking abt either D40 or D80. From what i understand, D40 can only autofocus with limited lenses. And D80 can autofocus with many lenses. And many people go for D80 cos it can AF very well with many lenses.

    1 question, I am puzzled and surprised that many people are using autofocus instead of doing it manually. Before my research, I always tot that you guys do it manually. Is autofocus very impt?

    Thanks!
    imagine you are taking the picture of a wedding couple kissing in the wedding banquet. You will cry if you are using manual ! Worse of all, you took the shot but is not sharp!

    You must very fast with your equipment , think ahead and still got to control the crowd when taking events especially ... If you still have to twist the focusing ring for every shot.. then your life is really tough.

    My dad is 58 years old , he must use AF, else... every shot is not sharp

  5. #5

    Default Re: Autofocus

    Thanks bros.

    In other words, I should go straight to D80 (if I can afford) instead of D40 (which I tot will be a better choice for beginner) right? Guess it will be very "painful" for beginners who want to change lenses for D40 since they can only autofocus with limited lenses.
    Last edited by jofeny; 12th June 2007 at 01:09 AM.

  6. #6

    Default Re: Autofocus

    Quote Originally Posted by jofeny View Post
    Thanks bros.

    In other words, I should go straight to D80 (if I can afford) instead of D40 (which I tot will be a better choice for beginner) right? Guess it will be very "painful" for beginners who want to change lenses for D40 since they can only autofocus with limited lenses.
    limited lens?

    btw, what lens u going to be getting after you get a D80?

  7. #7

    Default Re: Autofocus

    IMO, if you are serious about photography, go for the D80 (even if you are a beginner). IMO, D40 is more for consumer/prosumer upgraders.

    I do use manual focusing. But it's usually limited to macro photography and studio. The AF built into the camera is very fast and accurate nowadays and can be used in most situations.

    BC
    Last edited by Scaglietti; 12th June 2007 at 09:20 AM.

  8. #8

    Default Re: Autofocus

    Quote Originally Posted by ihub88 View Post
    limited lens?

    btw, what lens u going to be getting after you get a D80?
    IMO, there is too many good & cheap AF lens that D40 cannot AF with... 50mm f/1.8 & f/1.4, 85mm f/1.8, 60mm f/2.8 micro, ... and not to mention 3rd party lenses like Tamron 90mm, Tokina 12-24mm, etc.

    BC

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    In a not so green world!! :(
    Posts
    567

    Default Re: Autofocus

    hi jofeny, i was in the same situ contemplating to buy either d40x or d80 a while ago. decided to bite the bullet & buy the d80...long term a gem of a purchase since a good body will last you really long. wonderful cam, has changed my perspective on photography & interest in it forever! worth every extra cent...and really versatile with all lenses. most of all a real sturdy unit & model. good choice!

    on ur orignial question of af v/s manual - as an amateur who upgraded from prosumer to dslr, I cannot but sing enough praise for af without which my life would be miserable. i would never be able to catch any nice pics and the still ones too since I shoot mostly on the move with my baby etc etc in tow!! sure manual may be nicer for our pro's here, but i wd go af anytime...(similar analogy is the manual v/s auto shift in cars...some like it some dont...but most use auto!). i have tried to do mf sometimes when i had the luxury of time, but also realised that it's taking too long plus am always never certain if i got the focus right or not...whereas the beep beep of the af is sooooooo reassuring!! (hehe...the pro mf camp is sure to flame me heavily on this one...dives for cover already!)

  10. #10

    Default Re: Autofocus

    i do manual focusing too but only in macro and sometimes in low-light situations where AF hunts a lot.

    if you plan to use only AF-S lenses or equivalent from other manufacturers, D40 is the practical choice.

    if you plan to use any other lenses, get the D80.

    this one from scag makes sense too :

    IMO, there is too many good & cheap AF lens that D40 cannot AF with... 50mm f/1.8 & f/1.4, 85mm f/1.8, 60mm f/2.8 micro, ... and not to mention 3rd party lenses like Tamron 90mm, Tokina 12-24mm, etc.

  11. #11
    Senior Member zac08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    East
    Posts
    11,755

    Default Re: Autofocus

    Quote Originally Posted by jofeny View Post
    Hi guys, sorry if this is a stupid question...but need to get this off my brain..

    I have yet to buy a camera and have been thinking abt either D40 or D80. From what i understand, D40 can only autofocus with limited lenses. And D80 can autofocus with many lenses. And many people go for D80 cos it can AF very well with many lenses.

    1 question, I am puzzled and surprised that many people are using autofocus instead of doing it manually. Before my research, I always tot that you guys do it manually. Is autofocus very impt?

    Thanks!
    It's for convenience sake. MF is good when the subject is more or less stationary and will not move about much. Else you'll need a LOT of practise to get it correct at the critical point when you need the focus to be tack sharp and worry about other issues like exposure, composition, etc.

  12. #12

    Default Re: Autofocus

    Quote Originally Posted by ihub88 View Post
    limited lens?

    btw, what lens u going to be getting after you get a D80?
    Still not that pro to look at lens yet..but know I like to go for macro (flowers, leaves) shots and human shots.. was thinking should I buy the camera and learn along the way... or learn first then get camera...

  13. #13

    Default Re: Autofocus

    Quote Originally Posted by daydreamz View Post
    hi jofeny, i was in the same situ contemplating to buy either d40x or d80 a while ago. decided to bite the bullet & buy the d80...long term a gem of a purchase since a good body will last you really long. wonderful cam, has changed my perspective on photography & interest in it forever! worth every extra cent...and really versatile with all lenses. most of all a real sturdy unit & model. good choice!

    on ur orignial question of af v/s manual - as an amateur who upgraded from prosumer to dslr, I cannot but sing enough praise for af without which my life would be miserable. i would never be able to catch any nice pics and the still ones too since I shoot mostly on the move with my baby etc etc in tow!! sure manual may be nicer for our pro's here, but i wd go af anytime...(similar analogy is the manual v/s auto shift in cars...some like it some dont...but most use auto!). i have tried to do mf sometimes when i had the luxury of time, but also realised that it's taking too long plus am always never certain if i got the focus right or not...whereas the beep beep of the af is sooooooo reassuring!! (hehe...the pro mf camp is sure to flame me heavily on this one...dives for cover already!)

    hee..was thinking of the manual and auto car analogy last nite.. okay..looks like photography shouldnt be too difficult after all!

    duno where i get the idea that we must mf all the way then can take good photos..
    Last edited by jofeny; 12th June 2007 at 07:15 PM.

  14. #14

    Default Re: Autofocus

    Quote Originally Posted by zac08 View Post
    It's for convenience sake. MF is good when the subject is more or less stationary and will not move about much. Else you'll need a LOT of practise to get it correct at the critical point when you need the focus to be tack sharp and worry about other issues like exposure, composition, etc.
    ya..thats why i was thinking..with varying aperture, shutter speed and movement of the object..how to get a good photo with so many variables...

  15. #15

    Default Re: Autofocus

    Quote Originally Posted by jpgutierrez18 View Post
    i do manual focusing too but only in macro and sometimes in low-light situations where AF hunts a lot.

    if you plan to use only AF-S lenses or equivalent from other manufacturers, D40 is the practical choice.

    if you plan to use any other lenses, get the D80.

    this one from scag makes sense too :
    I have a long term plan (though now still dun understand what is S lenses ) as realised that I love to take photos since I'm young till now..always snatching the camera to shoot everything i see when im overseas...and when i'm back, photos got everyone, except myself..

    Was thinking to get better body so that next time I can learn more without incurring the cost of another camera.

  16. #16

    Default Re: Autofocus

    Do you mean the S in AF-S? If it is, then it means the lens has Silent Wave Motor. This is essential for D40 to autofocus as the body doesn't have the focusing motor so it's dependent on the SWF of the lens to do AF .

    though now still dun understand what is S lenses
    .. then get the D80 or better body if budget permits .

    I have a long term plan

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •