Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: recommend me a manual SLR

guys is this a good deal?

M42 screw mount carl zeiss jena lenses 4 sale.
    29mmF2.8 $125.
    50mmF1.9 $50.
    80mmF1.8 $175.
    Practica MTL50 body $130.
    Panasonic G3 | Minolta X700 | Minolta X370 | Pentax Asahi Spotmatic | Pratika MTL 3 | Panasonic Lx3

also can the lao jiao here help me in this few qns

1. the M42 screw mount SLRs or X700 better? as in price and quality.

2.where in Singapore can i get the 2nd hand X700? any shops?

thanks!
    Panasonic G3 | Minolta X700 | Minolta X370 | Pentax Asahi Spotmatic | Pratika MTL 3 | Panasonic Lx3

I have used the 29mm and it is a marvellous lens. I think few if any can beat these Carl Zeiss Jena lenses at this sort of prices...

Originally posted by overcrash
    guys is this a good deal?

M42 screw mount carl zeiss jena lenses 4 sale.
    29mmF2.8 $125.
    50mmF1.9 $50.
    80mmF1.8 $175.
    Practica MTL50 body $130.

Originally posted by hongsien
    CK: Try the repairman of Camix, he is an older man that is very good with older cameras/shutters. I always sent him my lenses/shutters. Bought an FE from Alex with the 1/1000 speed blank and sent it back to Alex for repair, it is possible that he uses the same old man as his repairman. Anyway, it is possible to repair the FE shutter. If speeds are off, it needs resetting/calibration which can be done here in Singapore.

Do NOT use P&G, sorry, a nice guy but he charges too much sometimes. You can check with him though, he just sometimes charges too high.

Hong Sien
    Thanks Hong Sien, I'll check them out.

Regards
    CK

You would probably have to visit the 2nd hand shops in Singapore to look for an X700. I would recommend The Camera Workshop at Penisula. Justy pop in and tell them what you are looking for.

Alternatively, post a wanted ad here or in Yahoo.

Personally, I would recommend Ebay. They have lots of X700 and lenses listed frequently. I had bought stuffs from there with no problems. I can help you with it if you have any doubts.

Ebay

x-700 with a 59mm f1.7, 135mm f3.5, 20mm f3.5 plus a 2xTC. Selling as a set for $400/-.

good deal?
    me dunno the market rate.......
    hope brothers here can help help

Originally posted by glchua
    You would probably have to visit the 2nd hand shops in Singapore to look for an X700. I would recommend The Camera Workshop at Penisula. Justy pop in and tell them what you are looking for.

Alternatively, post a wanted ad here or in Yahoo.

Personally, I would recommend Ebay. They have lots of X700 and lenses listed frequently. I had bought stuffs from there with no problems. I can help you with it if you have any doubts.

Ebay
    TCW got a lot of 2nd hand stuffs??

also buying from ebay safe a not wor

Ebay is quite safe but never 100%. The "power sellers" are usually safer because they need to maintain a good reputation. Check their feedback before you commit. Also, always email the seller for questions and test his response. Sellers that don't reply emails are quite suspicious. You can check the market prices by searching for the same item on Ebay in Search>Advance>click on completed items. You would then have a rough feel of what is the price in US dollars. Add roughly $30US for shipping and that is the price that you should be paying for in Singapore.

My first item from Ebay was a Canonet QL17 GIII. Asked for it in shops in Singapore and one guy quoted me $300 for one with fungus and $450 for a better one. I checked the prices on Ebay, the highest ever bid was $86US and I got mine for $100 US with shipping, and it was excellent condition. Local sellers on Singapore Internet even asked for $250 for one with fungus. Since then , I had bought two more items from Ebay with no problems, lost a bid recently for an excellent 85/2 AIS lens that went for $125US, very low compared to the usual quoted price of this lens.

I find TCW most trustworthy, although you should never trust business people 100%. I had lots of bad experiences and heard a lot of bad experiences with some traders, don't want to name them openly here.

BTW, for X700, check that the cloth shutter is nice and flat and without fungus. That is the most expensive part to replace ($100+ I believe). The viewfinder window is also prone to fungus between the glass (TCW told me when I sent my given camera to them for CLA). That can't be cleaned and need to be replaced (cost quite a bit) so find one that is clear. That said, it doesn't affect much and the viewfinder looks good except when there is lots of back light.

The original strap has two very useful items, one a spare battery holder and another a cover for the viewfinder for long exposures (to prevent stray light coming from the back affecting the meter). Hope you can get these two with your purchase. Nice thoughts from Minolta which Nikon doesn't even think about for their overpriced $1000 FM3A.

What kind of lenses are you looking for? If it is prime, then a 50/1.4 would be better as a start. The 35-70/3.5 (Minolta macro version) has a very good reputation (because it was relabelled by Leica or Carl Zeis, can't remember). The 35/1.8 is rare and 35/2.8 maybe too slow for you.

I tried to find out about them because my free X700 doesn't come with a lens. If I can find a good one, then I'll probably pry out the camera from my neighbour. If you come across a camera with lenses and you don't want some of it, maybe we can cooperate a bit.

Originally posted by glchua
    Ebay is quite safe but never 100%. The "power sellers" are usually safer because they need to maintain a good reputation. Check their feedback before you commit. Also, always email the seller for questions and test his response. Sellers that don't reply emails are quite suspicious. You can check the market prices by searching for the same item on Ebay in Search>Advance>click on completed items. You would then have a rough feel of what is the price in US dollars. Add roughly $30US for shipping and that is the price that you should be paying for in Singapore.

My first item from Ebay was a Canonet QL17 GIII. Asked for it in shops in Singapore and one guy quoted me $300 for one with fungus and $450 for a better one. I checked the prices on Ebay, the highest ever bid was $86US and I got mine for $100 US with shipping, and it was excellent condition. Local sellers on Singapore Internet even asked for $250 for one with fungus. Since then , I had bought two more items from Ebay with no problems, lost a bid recently for an excellent 85/2 AIS lens that went for $125US, very low compared to the usual quoted price of this lens.

I find TCW most trustworthy, although you should never trust business people 100%. I had lots of bad experiences and heard a lot of bad experiences with some traders, don't want to name them openly here.

BTW, for X700, check that the cloth shutter is nice and flat and without fungus. That is the most expensive part to replace ($100+ I believe). The viewfinder window is also prone to fungus between the glass (TCW told me when I sent my given camera to them for CLA). That can't be cleaned and need to be replaced (cost quite a bit) so find one that is clear. That said, it doesn't affect much and the viewfinder looks good except when there is lots of back light.

The original strap has two very useful items, one a spare battery holder and another a cover for the viewfinder for long exposures (to prevent stray light coming from the back affecting the meter). Hope you can get these two with your purchase. Nice thoughts from Minolta which Nikon doesn't even think about for their overpriced $1000 FM3A.

What kind of lenses are you looking for? If it is prime, then a 50/1.4 would be better as a start. The 35-70/3.5 (Minolta macro version) has a very good reputation (because it was relabelled by Leica or Carl Zeis, can't remember). The 35/1.8 is rare and 35/2.8 maybe too slow for you.

I tried to find out about them because my free X700 doesn't come with a lens. If I can find a good one, then I'll probably pry out the camera from my neighbour. If you come across a camera with lenses and you don't want some of it, maybe we can cooperate a bit.
    i went to search at ebay but most send to USA only...
    and I lost a bid by 2.50 for a super duper good deal...... think maybe i will just settle for the one above....

i went to search at ebay but most send to USA only...
    and I lost a bid by 2.50 for a super duper good deal...... think maybe i will just settle for the one above....
    Some of the pp who say that they send only to the USA sometimes can be persuaded to ship outside of that country, unless they emphatically say they don't. You should however ask them first and follow up on the deal promptly when the auction closes.

BTW, I wouldn't discount buying a 50mm 1.7 Minolta lens. In most of the manufacturer's range, the slower 50s tend to be the better corrected (because there'd be less design compromises), and they are dirt cheap to boot.

Agree, 50/1.7 good too.

guys
    how much do u think this is worth?

Used 35mm camera body, motor drive, and 3 lenses.
    The camera body is in very good shape..
    The screw slot on the body is slightly burred..

-Minolta MD 50mm 1:2
    -MD Minolta Celtic 28mm 1:2.8 (wide angle)
    -Tokina SZ-X 80-200mm 1:4.5-5.6(telephoto)
    -Minolta Motor Drive 1

No case or manuals.

Originally posted by kahheng
    Some of the pp who say that they send only to the USA sometimes can be persuaded to ship outside of that country, unless they emphatically say they don't. You should however ask them first and follow up on the deal promptly when the auction closes.

thanx
    may just try that

ai.....
    where's my X700?
    hahaha

Originally posted by yellow_kiwi
    im also thinking of getting a manual slr. thot of getting the yashica FX-3 super from a fellow CSer. Alex sells it for $280 bundled with a 50mm f1.4 (yashica). the body costs $150... the leather is quite worn out though. This is a common problem for this cam.

online ratings for this cam is quite decent, typically 4+ out of 5. IMO, it's quite value for money (as im more budget constrained, im not considering FMs of FEs ). juz hope that i wont be too late!

hope this helps!
    may i know why u won't be considering the FEs?

Originally posted by zhoufang
    And when you want to spent more on equipments, there's always 2nd hand C/Y mount Carl Zeiss T* lenses available at very affordable price, often not much more than Nikon MF lenses, but you get German optics instead of japs.
    You mean to say supposedly German optics made (almost entirely) by the Japanese don't you?

overcrash:

will be difficult to say whether something is worth it unless we see the actual thing.

actually the prices you quoted for the lenses set and the x700 set both sound reasonable to me. but i'd have to see the goods before being sure. i'd say look around for various options (within your timeframe) and just go for the best package you find.

unless you're thinking of resale value, it doesn't matter whether it's minolta, or M42, or whatever.

may i know why u won't be considering the FEs?
    i wanted a mechanical shutter cam. The FE uses batt for the shutter. though it draws oni an amazingly small amt of amperes when the shutter is depressed, i still prefer one thats truely mechanical.

another simple reason... they are more expensive than yashica!

Originally posted by hongsien
    yeah, I can also highly recommend Minolta MD/MC lenses and their cameras. X-700 is a good one too as well as those SRT cameras. The shutters are very smooth and quiet. Lenses are a bit harder to get here in Singapore. try eBay.

Don't also forget the Pentax manual camera line and lenses, these cameras can stilll accept their AF Pentax lenses (contrary to what a poster said before), again their top lenses are not easy to find.

Nikon manual cameras are quite expensive, not the FE/FM though. The FE is my favourite, but that's personal.

Good luck!
    Hong Sien
    Pentax MF K-mount lenses work on all modern Pentax cameras except the MZ-50 (which will only meter and fire at open aperture), MZ-30 and the newer MZ-60.

Pentax K1000, MX and LX are mechanical shutters, as far as I know.

M42 mount is officially obsolete but there are still some users making use of M42 lenses with converters on EF- and K-mount. Of course, there are also some Spotmatic users too.

yoh, overcrash! got ur cam? juz got myself the yashica FX-3 super 2000.

will have fun with it... after my exams.

big thx Q to kg_yew for taking the trouble!

cheerios

Originally posted by yellow_kiwi
    yoh, overcrash! got ur cam? juz got myself the yashica FX-3 super 2000.

will have fun with it... after my exams.

big thx Q to kg_yew for taking the trouble!

cheerios
    yah
    got this from ebay

*Minolta X-700 Camera Body
    *Osawa 28mm f2.8 MD Lens
    *Minolta 50mm MD Lens
    *Sears 28-70mm Auto Zoom Telephoto Lens
    *Sears 80-200mm Auto Zoom Telephoto Lens
    *Tou/Five Star 500mm Telephoto Lens and case
    *Minolta Auto 280 Automatic Flash
    *Minolta Motor Drive 1 Auto Winder
    *Padded Canvas Case

all for $640.

maybe we can go take foto together?
    hehe

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast