Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Post Processing - Software

Default Re: Post Processing - Software

Quote Originally Posted by mrngbss View Post
    I use iView MediaPro to catalog and keyword all my photos. It has since upgraded to Microsoft Expression Media. In my opinion, this is faster than Lightroom and Adobe Bridge. Simple editing is also available within MediaPro. However, MediaPro does not have all the cool and nice features that Lightroom has.

How much do you people pay for lightroom? I saw in CP that one box is sold for $400+++.
    Where do you pay for Lightroom as well.
    This kinda reminds me of one particular software. And it's free. Not exactly a pro software but does a fair job at organizing photos. "Picasa2" by Google. To be honest, the interface is pretty good.

Back to LR, I got it at $149 (educational version).

Quote Originally Posted by mrngbss View Post
    How much do you people pay for lightroom? I saw in CP that one box is sold for $400+++. Where do you pay for Lightroom as well.
    IIRC, I saw Lightroom at Challenger going for $330 which is close to the price mentioned in other threads.

Quote Originally Posted by Umeiko View Post
    I am using Lightroom. The program was a zap initially. But as I have more photos in my library (>5000), I feel that it has slowed down. Does any of you have similar experience and wonder if this is the norm. My RAM size is 1.5GB.
    there could be two reason for it, one is as melvinmah mentioned the previews. The other is the location of your photos and library. If it is kept in "My Pictures" it can slow down the HD. As mentioned in another thread by someone else, Windows XP and Vista are monitoring "My Pictures" and they create previews from files stored there. So if you run LR in the same folder XP is making previews of files you alter... hence you CPU and HD work harder.
    Try to place the photo files and the library into a folder that is not located in "My Documents", that should help.

Quote Originally Posted by Rejoice View Post
    Hi, I need some advise as to which is worthwhile for me to buy?, I know the price different is very significant: Nikon Capture NX or Photoshop CS
    1. I do not usually like to do post processing, except for some slight adjustment to the saturation or sharpness, etc...
    2. I am planning to start taking RAW file and not sure whether it would be able to read on Photoshop.
    3. I know that Photoshop have features like framining, watermark, etc... nut not sure does Nikon Capture NX has?
    Thanks.
    Get CS3. It will serve you well over time. You spent alot of money to get good equipment, why are you skimming on getting inferior software to process the photos? Would you have sent your negatives/slides to be processed/printed on no-name machine/paper back in the film days?

Adobe Camera Raw is infinately more powerful than Nikon Capture. It's integration with CS3 is a god sent regarding workflow. Even if you dont do much DI, the ability to do so is invaluable.

The key to any PS, any version, is not it's ability to do framing and watermarking, those are nice to have features, but it's ability to handle and manipulate colors, exposure, contrast and alike. I have found it to be superior to the likes of Picassa, which in my opinion sucks and should be straight to transhcan candidate if not for being free.

Photoshop is not overkill. Photoshop gives you options, and the assurance of quality and consistant outputs.

By the way, all is lost if you do not calibrate and profile your monitor.

By the way 2, I HATE LIGHTROOM. If you use CS3, the latest version of Bridge is more thatn suffice, no Lightroom will ever again be installed on my computer.
    Last edited by Deadpoet; 14th June 2007 at 09:46 AM.
    deadpoet
    my portfolio

there is an addon plugin about RAW for ps cs, camera RAW, can be downloaded from adobe website for free
    Canon 5D + Leica R5
    http://ilshfe.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by Deadpoet View Post
    By the way 2, I HATE LIGHTROOM. If you use CS3, the latest version of Bridge is more thatn suffice, no Lightroom will ever again be installed on my computer.
    DP, i just dont know why it would not run on your machine, but CS3 has by now almost everything LR has.... cheers

Just tried installing the Optic Pro from DXO trial version.
    Previously, I thought that I would like it. So I downloaded the trial version.
    But realised after installing that I did not like it. Not a good feeling. Too much of "program takes over everything" kind of mode. And specific brand-model-focal length lens modules that you have to tick in check box to download seems gimmicky. I un-installed the whole thing. Of course there are users who like this kind of thing. But I don't. To me a lens is a lens.
    DXO wants me to believe there is a terrific big difference between a digital shot taken by a brand X 50mm F1.4 lens; from a shot taken by brand Y 50mm F1.4 lens?
    Such that special software programming module needs to be downloaded to deal with digital photos taken by each of the lens? BullSh*t !
    Hype marketing of software.

And it requires you to install Microsoft Net v2+ with lots of files written to your hard disk.
    Last edited by ricohflex; 19th June 2007 at 12:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ricohflex View Post
    Just tried installing the Optic Pro from DXO trial version.
    Previously, I thought that I would like it. So I downloaded the trial version.
    But realised after installing that I did not like it. Not a good feeling. Too much of "program takes over everything" kind of mode. And specific brand-model-focal length lens modules that you have to tick in check box to download seems gimmicky. I un-installed the whole thing. Of course there are users who like this kind of thing. But I don't. To me a lens is a lens.
    DXO wants me to believe there is a terrific big difference between a digital shot taken by a brand X 50mm F1.4 lens; from a shot taken by brand Y 50mm F1.4 lens?
    Such that special software programming module needs to be downloaded to deal with digital photos taken by each of the lens? BullSh*t !
    Hype marketing of software.

And it requires you to install Microsoft Net v2+ with lots of files written to your hard disk.
    GET CS3!

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    DP, i just dont know why it would not run on your machine, but CS3 has by now almost everything LR has.... cheers
    This has become a running joke around. No idea why. Ok ok, I do not have the latest Core 2 Duo machine, but my P4 3.4 HT with 4 GB DDR2 533 RAM and a cleanly installed OS, it should work, right?

I had reinstall all OS for other reasons. The system was clean as a whistle. So, I tried LR again. Installed it, let it catalogue everything blah blah blah, wait for a whole night and let it do it's thing. Ok, I did dump 450GB of images on it, but, it's supposed to be the next best thing to slice bread right! NOPE. Damn LR crashed AGAIN. Hanged again.

OK, I killed it once and for all. Even deleted the download installation file. It's gone from my life. Adios, ciao, bye.

Now, CS3 and Bridge makes me happy.

deadpoet
    my portfolio

Quote Originally Posted by Deadpoet View Post
    GET CS3!

This has become a running joke around. No idea why. Ok ok, I do not have the latest Core 2 Duo machine, but my P4 3.4 HT with 4 GB DDR2 533 RAM and a cleanly installed OS, it should work, right?

I had reinstall all OS for other reasons. The system was clean as a whistle. So, I tried LR again. Installed it, let it catalogue everything blah blah blah, wait for a whole night and let it do it's thing. Ok, I did dump 450GB of images on it, but, it's supposed to be the next best thing to slice bread right! NOPE. Damn LR crashed AGAIN. Hanged again.

OK, I killed it once and for all. Even deleted the download installation file. It's gone from my life. Adios, ciao, bye.

Now, CS3 and Bridge makes me happy.

I'd say go CS2 AND CS3 way!

hehehehe

CS3 for its processing speed and all that....

CS2 for running all the previous PLUGINS that u have!!!!! that CS3 haven't been able to import over ggggrrrrrrr.....

Quote Originally Posted by plsoong View Post
    I'd say go CS2 AND CS3 way!

hehehehe

CS3 for its processing speed and all that....

CS2 for running all the previous PLUGINS that u have!!!!! that CS3 haven't been able to import over ggggrrrrrrr.....

you must have lots of older plugins ...

All my plugins and actions from CS and CS2 worked with CS3. I did not even try those from earlier on.

CS3 rocks. Now only if it is a bit more stable.
    deadpoet
    my portfolio

For very light volumn and low cost alternative, I use

Toneup S3 (US$14.49) http://www.toneupstudio.com/ to handle raw.
    For simple editing, I use Serif Photoplus 6.0 (Free) http://www.freeserifsoftware.com/

Well, dumping 450GB of photos on a newly released software just out of beta... You might consider giving it a chance next time...
    1D MkIII, 5D MkII 16-200 2.8L, 35L, 50L, 135L
    View my flickr

Quote Originally Posted by vector1 View Post
    Well, dumping 450GB of photos on a newly released software just out of beta... You might consider giving it a chance next time...
    i believe it matters where the libarary files reside... dont put them into the my picture folder

Quote Originally Posted by vector1 View Post
    Give me a break. LR had been killing me, and I am making sure it will kill me no more. This is suppose to be a program for pros to use to manage their files. 450GB is not that much data. There were about 10k files in the lot. For a data base, that is small.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    i believe it matters where the libarary files reside... dont put them into the my picture folder
    The 450 GB is on 2 seperate HDD, and still is. The library files were on a seperate HDD, seperate from the data HDD and the program HDD (c.

I am quite happy with Bridge that came with CS3.
    deadpoet
    my portfolio

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12