Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 70

Thread: fill flash on bright day

  1. #21

    Default Re: fill flash on bright day

    Quote Originally Posted by Virgo View Post
    Are you using an external of built-in flash?

    If you're using external flash, set your flash to High Speed Sync. It will allow you to sync with shutter speed faster than 1/200s. Also, control your FEC to get your desired output.
    I'm using D80, thinking of getting the SB800. Any idea wat's the max sync speed? I remember reading abt it somewhere, but cant find it now...

  2. #22
    Member/Tangshooter
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    ClubSNAP Community
    Posts
    3,118

    Default Re: fill flash on bright day

    Quote Originally Posted by kzone View Post
    I'm using D80, thinking of getting the SB800. Any idea wat's the max sync speed? I remember reading abt it somewhere, but cant find it now...
    if i'm not wrong its 1/250..is sync speed really tat important? unless u always do fill in flash for daytime outdoor shoot..otherwise most of the time 1/250 is good enough..
    This is an electronic post which requires no signature.

  3. #23
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Tanjong Katong
    Posts
    3,710

    Default Re: fill flash on bright day

    Quote Originally Posted by Scaglietti View Post
    D70 uses electronic shutter (not the physical focal plane shutter). Therefore, there is no physical limitation to the sync speed. The sync speed is only limited by the firmware. The hack just remove the limitation in the firmware.

    BC
    D70 and d70s use combined mechanical and electronics shutter. So, they still have mechanical shutter IIRC.

    The hack here is not software (like what Canon always do).

    Regards,
    Arto.

  4. #24
    Senior Member Virgo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    West of Singapore
    Posts
    4,816

    Default Re: fill flash on bright day

    Quote Originally Posted by kzone View Post
    I'm using D80, thinking of getting the SB800. Any idea wat's the max sync speed? I remember reading abt it somewhere, but cant find it now...
    Not sure leh bro. I'm a Canon user. Able to advise TS, who is a 400D user. But I think Blazer Workz advised already.

  5. #25
    Senior Member Virgo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    West of Singapore
    Posts
    4,816

    Default Re: fill flash on bright day

    Quote Originally Posted by blazer_workz View Post
    if i'm not wrong its 1/250..is sync speed really tat important? unless u always do fill in flash for daytime outdoor shoot..otherwise most of the time 1/250 is good enough..
    Fill flash is very important for daytime outdoor shoots, because if subject is back-lit, fill flash always does the trick.

  6. #26
    Member/Tangshooter
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    ClubSNAP Community
    Posts
    3,118

    Default Re: fill flash on bright day

    Quote Originally Posted by Virgo View Post
    Fill flash is very important for daytime outdoor shoots, because if subject is back-lit, fill flash always does the trick.
    yeah its important..but how often do we shoot outdoor with bright daylight.. if possible a reflector will does the trick..
    This is an electronic post which requires no signature.

  7. #27
    Senior Member Virgo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    West of Singapore
    Posts
    4,816

    Default Re: fill flash on bright day

    Quote Originally Posted by blazer_workz View Post
    yeah its important..but how often do we shoot outdoor with bright daylight.. if possible a reflector will does the trick..
    For me, very often. I do mostly outdoors, AD wedding included.

    Reflector unless assistants are available, which is not always the case.

  8. #28
    Member/Tangshooter
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    ClubSNAP Community
    Posts
    3,118

    Default Re: fill flash on bright day

    Quote Originally Posted by Virgo View Post
    For me, very often. I do mostly outdoors, AD wedding included.

    Reflector unless assistants are available, which is not always the case.
    icic..
    This is an electronic post which requires no signature.

  9. #29

    Default Re: fill flash on bright day

    Quote Originally Posted by blazer_workz View Post
    if i'm not wrong its 1/250..is sync speed really tat important? unless u always do fill in flash for daytime outdoor shoot..otherwise most of the time 1/250 is good enough..

    Always have problem with backlit objects.. so since the max sync speed is quite low even for external flash, how do u guys go round this problem? Let's leave reflectors out of the equation cos I'm just a hobbyist with no assistants and do not want to bring large reflectors everywhere I go...

  10. #30
    Senior Member Virgo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    West of Singapore
    Posts
    4,816

    Default Re: fill flash on bright day

    Quote Originally Posted by kzone View Post
    Always have problem with backlit objects.. so since the max sync speed is quite low even for external flash, how do u guys go round this problem? Let's leave reflectors out of the equation cos I'm just a hobbyist with no assistants and do not want to bring large reflectors everywhere I go...
    Your flash should have a setting with a 'H' and thunder sign, which signifies high speed sync. Press that button when your shutter speed goes above 1/200 or 1/250, and then use FEC to control the power of flash output.

  11. #31

    Default Re: fill flash on bright day

    Quote Originally Posted by kzone View Post
    I'm using D80, thinking of getting the SB800. Any idea wat's the max sync speed? I remember reading abt it somewhere, but cant find it now...
    Set it to FP high speed sync mode, you can shoot all the way to 1/8000s.

    Normal sync mode is up to 1/200s.

    BC

  12. #32

    Default Re: fill flash on bright day

    ah ok.. thanks guys..

  13. #33
    Moderator catchlights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Punggol, Singapore
    Posts
    21,901

    Default Re: fill flash on bright day

    Quote Originally Posted by blazer_workz View Post
    Bro..we missed out that TS wants it to be on Aperture priority..
    To be able to use the hack sync speed, one has to shoot in manual mode..
    are you sure can not meh?
    camera on A (aperture priority) mode, flash on auto mode (of course no more Nikon TTL), too difficult to use meh?
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

  14. #34
    Member smtan24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Tampines
    Posts
    1,496

    Default Re: fill flash on bright day

    Quote Originally Posted by fz30_user View Post
    Hi Guys,

    I'm using a 400D and Aperture priority most of the time. Problem is during bright day when the meter is above 1/200s I get overexposed shots. I think because the flash can only sync up to 1/200s. Any workaround if I want to stick to aperture priority mode?
    Can't you use HSS for your flash?

  15. #35

    Default Re: fill flash on bright day

    Quote Originally Posted by blazer_workz View Post
    the secret hack available on D70..haha..can sync higher than 1/2000..
    ...or use ANY Olympus dSLR. No secret hack needed, sync speed max 1/4000s (yes, that is three zeroes after 4).

  16. #36

    Default Re: fill flash on bright day

    i am only using my built in flash which has Flash sync 1/180 sec... does it means i should keep my shutter speed to below 1/180 when doing fill flash?
    no wonder i keep getting over exposed photo when using the flash outdoor...

  17. #37
    Member/Tangshooter
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    ClubSNAP Community
    Posts
    3,118

    Default Re: fill flash on bright day

    Quote Originally Posted by lizzy View Post
    i am only using my built in flash which has Flash sync 1/180 sec... does it means i should keep my shutter speed to below 1/180 when doing fill flash?
    no wonder i keep getting over exposed photo when using the flash outdoor...
    huh? flash sync at 1/180 ar? which camera? if i'm not wrong ISO50 is available right..else u will need aperture at least of f/16 to f/22 for fill flash on a bright sunny day..
    This is an electronic post which requires no signature.

  18. #38

    Default Re: fill flash on bright day

    Quote Originally Posted by blazer_workz View Post
    huh? flash sync at 1/180 ar? which camera? if i'm not wrong ISO50 is available right..else u will need aperture at least of f/16 to f/22 for fill flash on a bright sunny day..
    it's a pentax dl, lowest iso is 200
    so i need to control the aperture instead of shutter speed, how do i determine what aperture to use beside experimenting? is there a way to calculate?

  19. #39
    Member/Tangshooter
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    ClubSNAP Community
    Posts
    3,118

    Default Re: fill flash on bright day

    Quote Originally Posted by lizzy View Post
    it's a pentax dl, lowest iso is 200
    so i need to control the aperture instead of shutter speed, how do i determine what aperture to use beside experimenting? is there a way to calculate?
    woah ho! ISO200?? flash sync at 1/180..
    spot meter ur background to get a rough estimate of aperture to use..
    This is an electronic post which requires no signature.

  20. #40

    Default Re: fill flash on bright day

    hmm...TS is using 400D leh..how come go until D70, D80, sb800 etc???

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •